Not a Good Showing for Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Owen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the reasoning that we passed on Bulaga so we will pass on Reiff?

IMO, I do think Buddy wants an immediate difference maker with a top 10 pick. While Reiff and Bulaga are nice players, I wouldn't put them in that category (especially if they can only play RT).

It's a tough call on the O-linemen this year. None of the guys available to the Bills seem worthy of the #10 pick, so to choose one would be diminishing a major tactical asset. Plul, this (hopefully) will be the last time they pick so high for some time to come, so we need to maximize our value...

Doesn't Joe Thomas have short, stumpy arms?

32 1/2

Buzz about arm length:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/25/iowas-reiff-has-short-arms-for-a-left-tackle/

Martin's quickness is what you look at for a LT. The bench press reps are over rated for a LT..

He is very much a 1st rd LT prospect

You're right...The problem here is that Martin is not ready to step in right away...I agree that quickness and feet are FAR more important than strength for a LT...But assuming the Bills stay at #10 overall, IF they were to take a LT, they'll be looking for a Rookie Starter...And I don't think Martin is ready to start at LT in the NFL quite yet...He won't hold up in the Run game well at all...He's just not quite ready...So that should push him down just a bit... B-)

"He played in college at around 280 and had put on nearly 30 pounds and there is no telling if he’ll be able to maintain that elite level of athleticism."

Yikes! I don't like guys who aren't natuarlly big and bulk up for the draft. We saw what a certain PSU LB did with that kind of transformation (sigh....).

I now see us taking a LB at 10. Kutchney (sp) or Hightower. They are prob the BPA at that point at 10, and will solidify the LB position. We do need more LB's. Ingram would not suprise me for depth, but he's not a day 1 starter anymore, so if they go for DL depth I think Jones or Curry in Rd. 2. Overall, I think we get Bell back, take a LB at 10, and Streeter, etc. in the second round, or DE depth then WR in Rd. 3. Depends on how the draft goes, but I think:

1: LB

2: WR/DL

3: whatever they don't take in 2.

4: QB.

4: WR/LB

You guys really think we need LBs that bad? We have Shep, Barnett, Moats, Morrison, White, maybe Merriman half the time, maybe batten too (not sure if those two will play DE or LB or some of both).

Considering the 3rd LB plays ~40% of the snaps on average (60% of the time it’s the nickel DB, or in the Bills case B Scott is playing an LB role) we don’t really have a need at OLB that even closely resembles the needs at LT CB WR or TE. OLB will be a mid round depth pick. Someone linked an article saying we are bringing in Tank Carder from TCU. That guy is a playmaking stud, I hope we grab him somewhere.

I think Buddy has made each thing he has down resoundingly obvious. Its CB or LT at 10 depending on BPA, likely Kirkpatrick, which alarmingly I am OK with – he is tall and a stud.

It's getting critical as far as having a veteran at LT. We need to either get Bell back or give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder to a team right now and trade for a "decent" veteran. Or even look at Marcus McNeill. At least bring him in for a workout and get him checked out.

That way we can go WR with the first pick comfortably and still draft a "project" Tackle.

I'm not saying "playoffs" or "watch out AFC East" or anything to talk like we've accomplished anything because in reality we haven't. But, I believe with Michael Floyd, a veteran LT and 1 or 2 other draft picks at Tackle, and 3 or 4 other defensive players to play either OLB or CB, we're pretty much a complete team.

We just would have to go out and play. This year is the first in a very long time I'm happy with every position except the LT position.

We have a great Guard and Center (we have a decent RG but can still upgrade and same goes for RT).

We have 2 great RB's.

We have one very good WR.

We have a TE we can depend on in the red zone.

We have an above average FB.

We have an up and coming CB in Williams.

We have excellent safeties.

We have a pretty sick defensive line.

We have average to above average OLB's. (Barnett IMO should play middle next to Sheppard)

We have an above average kicker (we all remember what happened when HE went down).

We have an above average punter.

We have a pretty decent kick return/punt return game.

We have a decent special teams unit as far as kick off coverage (We usually don't allow kick returns or long returns).

It's looking like we finally will have a complete team and in the following years all we will have to do is deal with contract extensions and/or contract reconstructions and upgrades of a position here or a position there.

IMO, I do think Buddy wants an immediate difference maker with a top 10 pick. While Reiff and Bulaga are nice players, I wouldn't put them in that category (especially if they can only play RT).

It's a tough call on the O-linemen this year. None of the guys available to the Bills seem worthy of the #10 pick, so to choose one would be diminishing a major tactical asset. Plul, this (hopefully) will be the last time they pick so high for some time to come, so we need to maximize our value...

32 1/2

Yeah... And he's a pretty good LT

Buzz about arm length:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/25/iowas-reiff-has-short-arms-for-a-left-tackle/

C'Mon really?? Based on what?

DNA tests?

Doesn't Joe Thomas have short, stumpy arms?

When he jogs his fingertips brush against his nipples. He has specially-made shoulder pads which help make his arms look longer.

I don't know how well you remember the USC-Stanford game, but Martin was matched up against Nick Perry, and handled him just fine. In fact, USC did not record a sack that game.

The Stanford-USC (Martin vs Perry) game is one with the most widely conflicting accounts.

Having watched it once, my impression was that Perry got the better of Martin by a good margin during the times they lined up opposite each other.

However I'd also read here that Martin was injured in that game so it might not be a good indicator of Martin's play.

Today was pro day at Stanford and OT Jonathan Martin I feel did not have a good showing...

OT Jonathan Martin did 20 reps @ 225 on the bench, ran a 5.33 forty-time, and had a 4.76 short-shuttle time

It would have been better if he did nearer 30 reps and ran close to 5.0 ...

For Buddy Nix to draft Martin at #10 now would be taking a big chance... too risky a pick

This is not to say he would not take him if the Bills move down in the draft...

I would be more apt to say if Buddy goes with a OT at #10 he goes with Cordy Glenn... Glenn is very impressive

OT Riley Rieff will be a very good Guard.. With his short reach he will not be as affective at OT...

Bills may decide to now look at WR Floyd, and a future All Pro Guard in DeCastro...Not a CB in round one.

Demetrius Bell couldn't bench 225 lbs. more than 20 times and he became our starting LT .He got stronger.

Better athelete, too:

Ht Wt 40-yd Vert Broad BP

Thomas 6’6” 311 lb 4.92 s 33 in 9’2” 28 rep

Reiff 6’5.75” 313 lb 5.21 s 26.5 in 8’2” 23 rep

Finally, someone makes a point based on something. Thank you.

That being said Thomas was a top 3 pick. Makes sense.