What does BPA mean for Bills at #10?

Like most here, I don't think it is wise to "reach" to fill a need, but rather a team should take the "Best Player Available" at their pick.

However, this is much more gray than what one might think.

In this draft there are 5-6 truly elite players and then another 10-15 players that it is difficult to separate. I think that the elite, can't

pass this guy by players are:

Luck, Griffin, Claiborne, Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon and maybe Fletcher Cox. After those guys, I think that there are about 15 players

that could be drafted early and there isn't a lot to separate them except individual team needs and how each player fits into a given

team's scheme. Those essentially equivalent players (IMHO) include:

Kuechly, Poe, DeCastro, Reiff, Ingram, Kendall Wright, Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Michael Brockers, Donta Hightower,

Michael Floyd, Peter Konz, Mike Adams and Coples.

I think a case could be made for any of those guys at the 10th pick. In my opinion, the best fits for the Bills of that group include:

Ingram (I think he is the best of this group, but not so great that they can't consider other players in the mix)

Reiff - fits a big need, IF the Bills think he is an NFL LT.

Kuechly - seems to be a "safe" pick and if he can effectively play OLB in a 4-3, then he might be a good pick

Floyd - I agree that the Bills need another starting caliber WR, but I am not sure he is one.

So, I don't know that there is any player beyond the elite guys listed above that wouldn't in some aspect be a "reach", but not a big one.

At this point I hv no idea who the bills are going to or should take

Ive been saying Martin almost from the beginning but everything I read seems to have him dropping. Reiff is a RT at best but prob ends up at guard and I doubt bills take a guard that high. If Bills see Ingram as an OLB I can see them taking him but I think of him as being a DE like Freeney. I dont think there is a CB worthy of the tenth pick unless Claiborne some how falls.

I really am at a loss right now and it prob will come down to true best player available and not BPA at a position of need

Edited by Max997

Like most here, I don't think it is wise to "reach" to fill a need, but rather a team should take the "Best Player Available" at their pick.

In this draft there are 5-6 truly elite players and then another 10-15 players that it is difficult to separate. I think that the elite, can't

Luck, Griffin, Claiborne, Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon and maybe Fletcher Cox. After those guys, I think that there are about 15 players

that could be drafted early and there isn't a lot to separate them except individual team needs and how each player fits into a given

Kuechly, Poe, DeCastro, Reiff, Ingram, Kendall Wright, Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Michael Brockers, Donta Hightower,

I think a case could be made for any of those guys at the 10th pick. In my opinion, the best fits for the Bills of that group include:

Ingram (I think he is the best of this group, but not so great that they can't consider other players in the mix)

Kuechly - seems to be a "safe" pick and if he can effectively play OLB in a 4-3, then he might be a good pick

Floyd - I agree that the Bills need another starting caliber WR, but I am not sure he is one.

So, I don't know that there is any player beyond the elite guys listed above that wouldn't in some aspect be a "reach", but not a big one.

I agree with most of the second part of your post the only thing i would change is instead of Reiff i would insert Cordy glenn , he is more of a true LT when it comes to measurements , they say Reiff like Bulaga last year is more of a RT so if we are going to draft tackles like Buddy said let's draft a guy we can develop as a LT & keep around for a while , we already have guards we need lT's !!

I really think it's going to be Kuechly, but at MLB. I like Sheppard, and I know the Bills do too, but he seems a better fit inside in a 3-4. Kuechly would be a big impact player in this defense and with the line he has in front of him.

Edited by Flatlander

I don't think anyone - here or at OBD- knows who will be the pick, given the way things happen quickly. Bills are drafting in their usual spot this century, top 10. Fat lotta good it's done.. Until very recently. I finally believe we'll be surrendering our domain in the top 10, let's go out with a BANG!

Trade the pick and next years 1st to the Saints for Brees. He's pissed at their low ball offer, Peyton will be watching from home all year so they're going from the penthouse to the outhouse. Pretty sure they Franchised him, which is low for his skills.

Sign and trade, like the NBA.

THATs value at the 10 pick this year!

I really think it's going to be Kuechly, but at MLB. I like Sheppard, and I know the Bills do too, but he seems a better fit inside in a 3-4. Kuechly would be a big impact player in this defense and with the line he has in front of him.

I don't like the idea of using a top-10 pick on a LB, especially not with this defense. You don't want your MLB covering anyone important--at least not one-on-one--and this defense doesn't typically ask your LBs to do much blitzing. That means your LBs are a lot more useful in run defense than in pass defense. For run defense, you can get a Zach Thomas-type player later in the draft. You don't need to use your top-10 pick on something like that.

I agree with Chandler#81 on two things, and disagree on one thing. 1) I agree that the Bills should trade away that pick if they can, ideally for something other than picks in this year's draft. 2) I also agree that the pick should somehow be turned into a QB. I disagree with the specific idea of Brees. Yes, he still has some very good years left in him. But he's closer to the end of his career than to the beginning. The Bills need a franchise QB who will give them a very long window of opportunity. That way if it takes them a while to get all the other pieces in place--as it did with the Colts and Manning--they will still have the opportunity to win a Super Bowl.

it depends on the style of 4-3 defense Dave plays...

will it be a blitzing 43

Will it be a zone 43

Or will it be a situational 43

a guy like kuechly might be better at zone blitz than Sheppard..but I belie e Sheppard has the ability to be a better run stuffer in the 43

it depends on the style of 4-3 defense Dave plays...

will it be a blitzing 43

Will it be a zone 43

Or will it be a situational 43

a guy like kuechly might be better at zone blitz than Sheppard..but I belie e Sheppard has the ability to be a better run stuffer in the 43

From what Wanny has been saying, we're not going to be blitzing much or many zone blitzes. I'm sure we'll blitz a few times a game but the idea is for the four guys to get pressure on the QB without blitzing, and they told Mario he would not have to drop back in coverage much if at all for zone blitzes. Sure, that may mean they will do it on the other side but I doubt it. He wants our DL to line up and beat their man and have enough talent there so the opposition doesnt know who to double team.

I prefer a modified BPA approach where it's restricted to at least 3 positions of need. Rd1 for example, Id take BPA out of the pool of OTs, CBs and WRs. Then keep adjusting whats considered a position of need for each subsequent round.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack