Is M. Floyd better than Alshon Jeffery......

I love the people that throw around Floyd's drinking issues without giving the whole story. Kid made some mistakes, but rather than cutting and running to the NFL for a fat payday (he would have gone late first or second round last year) he worked his tail off to be reinstated to the team, entered into alcohol counseling, moved back on to campus where he had to live with three freshmen in a four person dorm room, and completed massive amounts of community service.

Floyd owned up to his mistakes and took the hard road, the road seldom traveled by young athletes presented with his opportunities. It would have been easy to enter the draft last year but he felt he owed something to his teammates and owed it to himself to get his degree, so he came back.

I have no question about his character whatsoever. His character issues are another of the drummed up, over-analyzed, draft season stigma that get regurgitated ad-nauseum by message board "experts" who take everything they hear from ESPN as gospel.

Edited by bearc012

I love the people that throw around Floyd's drinking issues without giving the whole story. Kid made some mistakes, but rather than cutting and running to the NFL for a fat payday (he would have gone late first or second round last year) he worked his tail off to be reinstated to the team, entered into alcohol counseling, moved back on to campus where he had to live with three freshmen in a four person dorm room, and completed massive amounts of community service.

Floyd owned up to his mistakes and took the hard road, the road seldom traveled by young athletes presented with his opportunities. It would have been easy to enter the draft last year but he felt he owed something to his teammates and owed it to himself to get his degree, so he came back.

I have no question about his character whatsoever. His character issues are another of the drummed up, over-analyzed, draft season stigma that get regurgitated ad-nauseum by message board "experts" who take everything they hear from ESPN as gospel.

QFT. Also, Floyd is pretty much exactly what Buddy looks for in a WR. Huge, physical, versatile, hands, beastly blocker. His weakness was supposed to be pure speed but his combine numbers were actually faster than AJ Green who went #4 last year. Buddy has shown that he not hesitate to draft what he considers a perfect weapon (see: Spiller, CJ), so if Floyd is available and isn't our pick, I'll eat my hat.

QFT. Also, Floyd is pretty much exactly what Buddy looks for in a WR. Huge, physical, versatile, hands, beastly blocker. His weakness was supposed to be pure speed but his combine numbers were actually faster than AJ Green who went #4 last year. Buddy has shown that he not hesitate to draft what he considers a perfect weapon (see: Spiller, CJ), so if Floyd is available and isn't our pick, I'll eat my hat.

I like Floyd and would be happy with his selection. But offering to eat my hat if he is not selected? No. Wouldn't do that.

I respectfully disagree. Where there is smoke, there is often fire. I am not saying that a guy in college can't mature and become a more responsible adult, but the draft history is filled

with busts who teams picked early while ignoring similar red flags. Floyd's alcohol problems are certainly not the whole story, but it is something worth considering seriously.

Now, that doesn't mean that guys who have squeaky clean college resumes don't also bust in the NFL...

Some examples of guys with trouble flags from college taken early who busted:

WR Charles Rogers

DE Dwayne Robertson

Willis McGahee ran himself out of town here with off-field problems

Travis Henry destroyed his career and life with off-field problems

Sean Taylor died (maybe a victim of circumstances, but had a history of trouble)

Braylon Edwards never really panned out

Pacman Jones was a BIG flame-out

Mike Williams from USC had concerns about work-ethic and was an epic failure

Matt Jones coked himself out of the league fast

Vince Young has failed so far

Matt Leinert has failed because he didn't have the work ethic

Aquib Talib has been constantly in trouble and hasnt't succeeded

We could go back further, including Reggie Rogers and Jerome Brown, but I don't think

we need to.

Here are some interesting links regarding the WRs in the draft: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-Ranking-the-WR-class-by-Tiers.html (this is a quick cheat sheet of sorts); sure a bunch of you have seen this one http://walterfootball.com/draft2012WR.php; http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombinedetail.php?draftyear=2012&GenPos=WR&sortorder=LastName&order=ASC (scroll down there's a list with links to the WRs); and one more for good measure: http://www.nfldraftgeek.com/receiverbreakdown.html. Not saying any of these are the gospel but they're fun reading. Hope some of you enjoy them..

So I guess anyone who has ever made a mistake is forever tarnished???

My post is meant to present the whole story, not just the popular "Floyd is a drunk" nonsense. I suppose we shouldn't give any credit for a guy owning up and trying to make things right though.

Oh, and going by your examples, I suppose you wouldn't have drafted Bruce Smith either.

his hands are also bigger.

best case for floyd is vincent jackson

alshon is terrell owens with hands

Wow!

That is some endorsement! Ive never seen him play,

i think floyd with be good but alshon will be better and have a longer career

I respectfully disagree. Where there is smoke, there is often fire. I am not saying that a guy in college can't mature and become a more responsible adult, but the draft history is filled

with busts who teams picked early while ignoring similar red flags. Floyd's alcohol problems are certainly not the whole story, but it is something worth considering seriously.

Now, that doesn't mean that guys who have squeaky clean college resumes don't also bust in the NFL...

Some examples of guys with trouble flags from college taken early who busted:

WR Charles Rogers

DE Dwayne Robertson

Willis McGahee ran himself out of town here with off-field problems

Travis Henry destroyed his career and life with off-field problems

Sean Taylor died (maybe a victim of circumstances, but had a history of trouble)

Braylon Edwards never really panned out

Pacman Jones was a BIG flame-out

Mike Williams from USC had concerns about work-ethic and was an epic failure

Matt Jones coked himself out of the league fast

Vince Young has failed so far

Matt Leinert has failed because he didn't have the work ethic

Aquib Talib has been constantly in trouble and hasnt't succeeded

We could go back further, including Reggie Rogers and Jerome Brown, but I don't think

we need to.

lolol this list is a complete joke. you just cherry picked a bunch of guys over a 10 year period who were busts for whatever reason (including sean taylor who was murdered...) in an attempt to compare them to michael floyd. there are 10x more guys who did have small issues in college who turned out to be studs.

proof:

After a brilliant college career, rumors surfaced in advance of the 1983 draft that Marino used cocaine. The rumors – unfounded and unproven – resulted in Marino dropping all the way to the 23rd overall pick. Five quarterbacks went ahead of him before the Miami Dolphins drafted him. Marino went on to become the most prolific passer in NFL history (since passed by Brett Favre) and still holds the single-season record for passing yards (5,084). He’s a Hall of Famer.

Thirteen days before the 1995 NFL Draft, the New York Times reported Sapp tested positive for cocaine and marijuana. Less than 24 hours later, the NFL issued a statement that Sapp did not test positive for cocaine, omitting any reference to weed. Easily one of the best defensive linemen in that draft, Sapp was expected to go in the top five. He wound up going 13th to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, went to seven Pro Bowls, was a four-time All Pro and – aside from being an agitator – was never in any legal trouble before retiring after 2007.

Involvement in a high school brawl – and the resulting battery charge – resulted in Notre Dame revoking a scholarship. A positive marijuana test while on probation resulted in Florida State revoking his scholarship. He went to I-AA Marshall in 1996 and, when Marshall made the move to Division I in 1997, Moss – a sophomore – was the best receiver in the nation. But on draft day, 1998, 20 teams passed on Moss before Minnesota selected him with the 21st pick. He’s had dustups since being in the league but has also caught 135 touchdowns in 170 games for the Vikings, Raiders and Patriots.

alshon is better, a ton more talent and hes a bit bigger

What is this based on? Your gut? Or Alshon's gut?

I don't think you're familiar with Michael Floyd.

Floyd had better Combine numbers than AJ Green. There is no question that he is fast plus he has a great statistical and on field performance resume at Nortre Dame.

PlayerCollegeHeightWeightArm LengthHand Length40 YardRepsVerticalShuttle60 YardConeBroad Jump
Michael FloydNotre Dame6'2 5/822032 7/89 3/8"4.471636.5---10'2"
AJ GreenGeorgia 6'3 5/821134 3/89 1/44.51834.510'6

If he didn't have the DUI issues he would be a concusses Top5 pick.

This talent doesn't grow on trees.

If this pick happened. Everyone on this board would whine and moan about a pass rush but by Week 3 2013 most of the Stadium would be wearing Floyd jerseys.

He is a freak, if he can keep his drinking in check.

Almost getting kicked out of school might have opened up his eyes. Its up to Nix and GMs around the NFL to make that determination.

Talent wise, if he is there at #10, he would be hands down the Best Player Available. Wouldn't even be a close second place, talent wise.

It comes down to whether he can keep his DUIs in check.

What is more worrisome to perspective NFL clubs a guy that's downing too many Maccallans or a guy that's downing too many Big Macs?

If he won't get in the gym the summer before he enters the draft what is he going to do when he gets a second round signing bonus?

Edited by Why So Serious?

What is this based on? Your gut? Or Alshon's gut?

I don't think you're familiar with Michael Floyd.

Floyd had better Combine numbers than AJ Green. There is no question that he is fast plus he has a great statistical and on field performance resume at Nortre Dame.

PlayerCollegeHeightWeightArm LengthHand Length40 YardRepsVerticalShuttle60 YardConeBroad Jump
Michael FloydNotre Dame6'2 5/822032 7/89 3/8"4.471636.5---10'2"
AJ GreenGeorgia 6'3 5/821134 3/89 1/44.51834.510'6

If he didn't have the DUI issues he would be a concusses Top5 pick.

This talent doesn't grow on trees.

If this pick happened. Everyone on this board would whine and moan about a pass rush but by Week 3 2013 most of the Stadium would be wearing Floyd jerseys.

He is a freak, if he can keep his drinking in check.

Almost getting kicked out of school might have opened up his eyes. Its up to Nix and GMs around the NFL to make that determination.

Talent wise, if he is there at #10, he would be hands down the Best Player Available. Wouldn't even be a close second place, talent wise.

It comes down to whether he can keep his DUIs in check.

What is more worrisome to perspective NFL clubs a guy that's downing too many Maccallans or a guy that's downing too many Big Macs?

If he won't get in the gym the summer before he enters the draft what is he going to do when he gets a second round signing bonus?

I hope you're not Floyd's agent or he'll be working for minimum wage next year. I think alot of peolple don't want him because he played for Notre Dame. also the fact that Jefferey had a much per catch avg. and played much tougher competetion. Carolina didn't have much @ QB not unlike the Domers.

I have watched a lot of film on both WR. I would say they both have a great reach and great hands. But Jeffrey just never has any sepparation. That wont cut it in the NFL. They both have slight red flags for off the field issues (drinking for Floyd and eating for Jeffrey). I think that Floyd if definitvely better. I don't want to pick him at number 10. I would rather see a OT.