Excluding injury, how many yards would Travis have

Kelly the Dog

IMO, he would have matched Corey Dillon's 1500. He does have a knack for getting hurt, so this is purely hypothetical. But he would do great on the Patsie's, who know how to block and open holes, utilize players, and get RBs through the line into the secondary. Travis would easily run wild on a team like that.

181687[/snapback]

He'd have to learn pass protection.

Do you count dropped interceptions as interceptions as well? And if you're going to say "you're not looking at the real game of football" you would also have to admit that Travis' fumbling problem isn't nearly as pronounced as it was it in the past. Because he lays it on the ground, losing it or not, half as much as hedid before. You would also have to admit that now Willis McGahee has a fumbling problem at a Travis Henry rate as he has laid the ball on the carpet 5-6 times in the last 5 games (depending on if you count the Bledsoe handoff as Drew's or Willis' fault). Recovering fumbles doesn't lose you football games but lost fumbles do.

Besides, if the thread were about who drops the ball more, you would have a valid point, and I would agree with you. Nor have I said that Travis is as good as Dillon is. In fact, I said precisely the opposite. But the thread isn't about fumbling, it's not even about who is better between Dillon and Henry, it's about how many yards TH would have if he played a whole season on the Pats.

181902[/snapback]

Poor fumbling is poor whether it is 15 or 7. It still is in the bottom of the league. The point was Dillon gets a chance to get more yards as he doesn't put is team in trouble and they can trust him with the ball more. Therefore Dillon will get more yards.

The question is leading and loaded, becuase it leaves posters little room to do anything except join in a gushing love fest for Henry. Still, I will try to narrowly answer the question as you suggest.

He would have little to no yardage, because Belichick would have about ZERO patience for a back than cannot or will not understand the playbook. Sliding on his ass on crucial third down carries wouldn't go over too well either, wouldn't you say?

He, imo would be yanked as soon as he ran one of his many wrong pass paterns, or could not, or worse, refused to block someone on the blitz.

The pats offense seems a little too complicated for TH, or so it would seem. Imo, one of the reasons the pats are winners is the fact that they DONT have this type of one dimensional player on the field.

Come to think of it, this now applies to the Bills as well. :o

The question is leading and loaded, becuase it leaves posters little room to do anything except join in a gushing love fest for Henry. Still, I will try to narrowly answer the question as you suggest.

He would have little to no yardage, because Belichick would have about ZERO patience for a back than cannot or will not understand the playbook. Sliding on his ass on crucial third down carries wouldn't go over too well either, wouldn't you say?

He, imo would be yanked as soon as he ran one of his many wrong pass paterns, or could not, or worse, refused to block someone on the blitz.

The pats offense seems a little too complicated for TH, or so it would seem. Imo, one of the reasons the pats are winners is the fact that  they DONT have this type of one dimensional player on the field.

Come to think of it, this now applies to the Bills as well.  :o

182007[/snapback]

I would say that Bellichick took a player whom Henry flat beat out, Antowain Smith, who isn't the greatest blocker or receiver or Rhodes Scholar either, to the Super Bowl. And kept him for three years.

Your utter hatred of Henry is embarrassing, IMO, and you're simply not being even reasonable. The players on the Bills voted him their Most Valuable Player. They didn't have to do that. It wasn't a [popularity contest. He was in the pro bowl. He was the most productive runner in Tennessee history at a school teeming with great runners. He put together two excellent consecutive seasons in the NFL on a crappy team in his second and third year on a pass happy, horrible blocking offense (and don't say it was because of all the passes, he barely played on third downs here either). Is Willis WAY better an all-around player? Yes. Does Henry have huge liabilities? Yes. Does Henry have a hard time pass blocking ad holding onto the ball? Yes. Does Henry break an inordinate amount of tackles, pick up enormous chunks of yards in a game, put up huge numbers, have incredible 3-4-5 yard runs when they should be 0-1-2 yard runs, score a ton of touchdowns and try like hell at all times when on the field? Yes.

Let me see if I understand this... YOU are embarrassed by MY posts about Henry?

If this was not rhetorical, I suggest that you really calm down.

What about the issues that I raised? Would you like to address them, or continue with stunning admissions that Henry does indeed have "liabilities?"

>>>(and don't say it was because of all the passes, he barely played on third downs here either).<<<

The above concerns me just a bit. Are you giving me guidelines on how to discuss football issues with you?

Henry played on a Gilbride team. Defenders beat us by blitzing and practically killing Drew on almost every play. I make the contention that many (no, not all) of TH's yards were made by defenders rushing by him, sometimes unobstructed, to maul Drew. Now, with a head of steam, he was certainly hard to tackle because of his build and strength.

I have stated many times that imo, TH is not a good fit for the Bills. Yes, in the past I have gone over the edge blasting him, but have recently refrained from doing so. Be it as it may, I am not forced to think that he is a very good football player, nor are you forced to change your outlook on how he is great.

This is a good thing, no?

I don't understand the whole purpose of this thread. The Bills are playing great one game from the playoffs, and you bring up TH? How many games did the Bills go without a running TD before Willis came in? What was it, 10, or 14 or some number like that. If TH can get a lot more yards with NE, Willis could get 1,000 more than him, if you want to speculate. And the fact is, TH DOESN'T play with NE, and had his chance to do it here. He didn't. Willis steps in with the same cast, and racks up the yards. If Willis started the whole season, he may have more yards than Dillon. Maybe then people in Boston papers would say, "if Dillon played for Buffalo, how many yards would he have?".

What were you looking to accomplish with this thread?

I don't understand the whole purpose of this thread.  The Bills are playing great one game from the playoffs, and you bring up TH?  How many games did the Bills go without a running TD before Willis came in?  What was it, 10, or 14 or some number like that.  If TH can get a lot more yards with NE, Willis could get 1,000 more than him, if you want to speculate.  And the fact is, TH DOESN'T play with NE, and had his chance to do it here.  He didn't.  Willis steps in with the same cast, and racks up the yards.  If Willis started the whole season, he may have more yards than Dillon.  Maybe then people in Boston papers would say, "if Dillon played for Buffalo, how many yards would he have?".

What were you looking to accomplish with this thread?

182233[/snapback]

Call me paranoid, but I think that it was meant ever so slightly scold me for my refusal to toe the "Travis is Great" line.

Also, there have been debates on TSW as to what TH would bring us in a possible trade. Speculation has ranged from a top 5 pick (and I kid you not) to his flat out release.

I am in the middle and would hope for a 5th rounder.

Call me paranoid, but I think that it was meant ever so slightly scold me for my refusal to toe the "Travis is Great" line.

Also, there have been debates on TSW as to what TH would bring us in a possible trade. Speculation has ranged from a top 5 pick (and I kid you not) to his flat out release.

I am in the middle and would hope for a 5th rounder.

182265[/snapback]

OK, that's fair. I would say a 3rd rounder tops. He hasn't played in a year basically, has some injury history & smaller backs careers go quicker. With free agency, why trade much of anything when you can sign for free whoever you want

I pretty much agree Kelly but I'm in the minority. I believe he would have around 1300 to 1400 yards. While I think Dillon is better, Travis is real close but fans don't think about his last two seasons running behind a crap o-line and still getting 1300 and 1400 yards.

Last year's TH would've run for a lot of yards.

This year's TH, ???

I think he's definitely regressed as a player,

injuries & the Willis factor notwithstanding.

182246[/snapback]

...and what sucks is their are so many RB'S that are going to be available in the free agent market this offseason it will be difficult to get more than a 3rd.

In terms of yards they would be about even because Travis is a very good runner, Dillon may have more because of his ability to break a big one every now and then, but the fact is TH couldn't catch a cold, can't pick up the blitz and doesn't have a nose for the goal line.