Buddy's Plan for Left Tackle

Owen

Buddy Nix may eliminate LOT Martin as his first round pick after his showing today ......

OT Jonathan Martin did 20 reps @ 225 on the bench, ran a 5.33 forty-time, and had a 4.76 short-shuttle time,

It shows he is soft... out of shape for this important day... 20 reps is nothing... a 5.33 is slow as hell for a 1st round draft pick...

For what it's worth, Riley Reiff did 23 reps and ran a 5.21 at the combine, with a 4.77 in the shuttle...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix may eliminate LOT Martin as his first round pick after his showing today ......

OT Jonathan Martin did 20 reps @ 225 on the bench, ran a 5.33 forty-time, and had a 4.76 short-shuttle time,

It shows he is soft... out of shape for this important day... 20 reps is nothing... a 5.33 is slow as hell for a 1st round draft pick...

Buddy can do better than picking him at #10..... oh boy can he ...

DeCastro did 34 reps...

link

...and showed some skill at center, snapping the ball to Luck all afternoon.

post-2970-024091100 1332455433_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Nix drafted Spiller when RB was not a perceived need of the team.

Nix will draft the highest ranked player on their board, regardless of position.

But as a GM who is both astute and aware of the public criticism of his ways, I would not be surprised if Nix has re-visited his stated position on trading down.

Listening to the fans ... wasn't there some Marv Levy quote about that. B-)

Yes, this poster made the point that a completely aware GM should be sensitive to the views of a team's hard core fans and not be so arrogant to dismiss their views or the views of the media which covers the team on a daily basis.

Succinctly speaking, if you think you know everything then you probably know a lot less than you think.

http://forums.twobil...84#entry2415084

How many times have we as fans, witnessed a move by the team and immediately knew it was a bad move?

Yes, this poster made the point that a completely aware GM should be sensitive to the views of a team's hard core fans and not be so arrogant to dismiss their views or the views of the media which covers the team on a daily basis.

Succinctly speaking, if you think you know everything then you probably know a lot less than you think.

http://forums.twobil...84#entry2415084

How many times have we as fans, witnessed a move by the team and immediately knew it was a bad move?

It was meant in levity. :unsure:

Buddy can do better than picking him at #10..... oh boy can he ...

He's definitely not soft. Is he a player that needs to add strength? Yes, which was known before his pro-day. He's actually in shape - he's a kid that played at 280 that's up to 305-310, so he has to (again) add strength. I don't see how soft gets thrown around here so much...

read draft teks longball write up. very detailed analysis. Nix will not draft high for a LT this year unless he had Kalil fall in his lap. bank it. he will find someone mid round or udfa again lol. i'm tellin' ya now, thats how he rolls

read draft teks longball write up. very detailed analysis. Nix will not draft high for a LT this year unless he had Kalil fall in his lap. bank it. he will find someone mid round or udfa again lol. i'm tellin' ya now, thats how he rolls

After reading that, Rounds 3-5 seem like a perfect place to take the LT. The only caveat I would put in there is if a bunch slide into RD#2 then it gets interesting....at pick 41.

Does anyone think that if we were to draft David DeCastro that maybe Andy Levitre will play LT? He got experience at LT last season and looked like he could be good, maybe after a off season of playing the position?

Levitre - DeCastro - Wood - Urbik - Pears

Also, we need to find a backup center in the draft or FA and maybe another backup guard.

Chan doesn't prefer a short passing game, Chan built the Bills short passing offense around the fact we had crappy tackles and other linemen who couldn't keep the opposing teams pass rush off our QB for more than 2-3 seconds.

Thank you. Seems obvious to me yet so many here don't get it

I'll throw this out there.

#1 Hairston showed some promise before his high ankle sprain. Remember, like all of the rest, he came in cold to training camp, no offseason strength/consitioning, no OTAs or tutelage. With a full offseason of work it seems reasonable to expect that he could man the starting LT position. However, right now he has essentially no competition, and obviously, the Bills need to address that.

which brings me to...

#2 Colin Brown. This will be his third season with the Bills. Here's a kid that played pretty well the last couple of weeks of the season at guard and center. He was active for 11 games last season, so there must be enough ability there for the coaching staff to have him active on Sundays. And, he probably logged more plays than any of us realize at RG during the season. He also has prototipical Pro level left tackle size @ 6'7" 325 lbs. He played some LT in college. He was an 1st team allstate hoops player in Missouri and avereaged like 18 pts. & 12 boards/game. So, there has to be some athletic ability there to go along with his size. And, if I remeber correctly, Will Wolford, although drafted to play LT, started at RG during his rookie season because Ken Jones was the LT at that time. So, with some time logged at C and RG, plus some measure of athleticism, does the Bills staff have any plans to take a look at Brown as a LT?

#3 At #10, is there a guy that can positively, straight up, line up from day 1 at LT and give you that rock solid anchor for the next 5 years? I don't think so. If you're gonna draft a player at #10 that you believe will be an outstanding player in a couple of years but ain't gonna be a guy you can line up from day one, you might as well draft a guy like Tannehill @ QB if he's there and you believe in two years he'll be a great player.

After reading that, Rounds 3-5 seem like a perfect place to take the LT. The only caveat I would put in there is if a bunch slide into RD#2 then it gets interesting....at pick 41.

Indeed it might.

Maybe i should not have started that sentence as "read....about big uglies" i meant say " I.. read and .." sorry Reed . But glad you did notice that intiguing write up. i learned a little. But mostly i think it's a Buddy way of thinking for offense. He is proud of his Barn Finds haha!

Does anyone think that if we were to draft David DeCastro that maybe Andy Levitre will play LT? He got experience at LT last season and looked like he could be good, maybe after a off season of playing the position?

Also, we need to find a backup center in the draft or FA and maybe another backup guard.

I read about some late round centers that would fill the bill on b/r or some similar sight. I agree another center who can play a little guard maybe late in the pickings

Edited by 3rdand12

Indeed it might.

Maybe i should not have started that sentence as "read....about big uglies" i meant say " I.. read and .." sorry Reed . But glad you did notice that intiguing write up. i learned a little. But mostly i think it's a Buddy way of thinking for offense. He is proud of his Barn Finds haha!

I read about some late round centers that would fill the bill on b/r or some similar sight. I agree another center who can play a little guard maybe late in the pickings

LOL. Ideally we want starters from #10 & #41. If the tackles slide and we have one at #41, we should look at it and compare them to the later ones. Go Value/BPA and how it falls it, falls. I would be ok with one of the first rd LTs at 41, because it is such a need - I wouldn't love it, but I would be ok with it...

i think :ph34r:

You don't "need" great players at any position if you're content with mediocrity. Pretty much everyone on this board 'understands' that Fitz doesn't throw a great long ball and Chan prefers a quick-hitting passing attack anyway so maybe having a great OT isn't as important to the Bills as it is to teams that likes to throw deep. But teams that win Super Bowls usually have good offensive lines. OTs don't just protect 5 step QBs. They open holes for RBs too. And I'm not confident I can count on Hairston to protect Fitz (even just 3 steps back) or open holes for Freddy. I hope he either surprises me - or we find someone better.

He does like to send everybody out and use allot of recievers. Dont need an allpro, but do need a lt than can block 1-1 good portion of the time to do that.

I know they like to do allot of short patterns, but without better line play, the other teams dont even have to respect the chance that Bills may change up and go deep occasionally, cause they know they can get to the QB if they do that. Need atleast the threat, and a few plays run where there was atleast a chance of them being completed to force defences to play you honest.

Levitre had ton of help when he played LT. Dont think hes starter material at tackle, and with the dropoff at guard get by moving him out, only do that if emergancy.

Would like our TE's and RB to actually get into the patterns. Once Bell went down, you'll notice that the TE disapeared from our offense. That's becuase they needed to pass block, or atleast chip on every pass play almost, except the plays the RB's covered for them.

Edited by rstencel

Both Levitre and Urbik are solid starters. You want one of them to switch solely to a backup role for no reason just so we can draft DeCastro? That makes no sense to me.

The reason is DeCastro is an enormous upgrade over Urbik. I don't think that's the route they go but DeCastro blows holes open.. every team wants that.

The reason is DeCastro is an enormous upgrade over Urbik. I don't think that's the route they go but DeCastro blows holes open.. every team wants that.

When Nix drafted Spiller he already had Jackson and Lynch on the roster.. So why pick Spiller? Because Nix felt Spiller was the best pick at the time for the Bills.

With that line of thinking... would it not surprise you to see Nix take a certain All Pro in OG David DeCastro?

Urbik can be moved to a back up Guard/Center which the Bills need... C Woods is coming off a injury and may not be 100% by game day...

That first pick is one all the fans remember....

Bills can address LOT in round 2 and possibly use one of those 4th round and even a 3 rd picks to move up to the lower end of the first round... Nix has 9 and possibly 10 picks to play with...

Buddy does have some options, but really needs a quality LT... Bills have a multi million dollar QB to protect...

I'll throw this out there.

#1 Hairston showed some promise before his high ankle sprain. Remember, like all of the rest, he came in cold to training camp, no offseason strength/consitioning, no OTAs or tutelage. With a full offseason of work it seems reasonable to expect that he could man the starting LT position. However, right now he has essentially no competition, and obviously, the Bills need to address that.

which brings me to...

#2 Colin Brown. This will be his third season with the Bills. Here's a kid that played pretty well the last couple of weeks of the season at guard and center. He was active for 11 games last season, so there must be enough ability there for the coaching staff to have him active on Sundays. And, he probably logged more plays than any of us realize at RG during the season. He also has prototipical Pro level left tackle size @ 6'7" 325 lbs. He played some LT in college. He was an 1st team allstate hoops player in Missouri and avereaged like 18 pts. & 12 boards/game. So, there has to be some athletic ability there to go along with his size. And, if I remeber correctly, Will Wolford, although drafted to play LT, started at RG during his rookie season because Ken Jones was the LT at that time. So, with some time logged at C and RG, plus some measure of athleticism, does the Bills staff have any plans to take a look at Brown as a LT?

#3 At #10, is there a guy that can positively, straight up, line up from day 1 at LT and give you that rock solid anchor for the next 5 years? I don't think so. If you're gonna draft a player at #10 that you believe will be an outstanding player in a couple of years but ain't gonna be a guy you can line up from day one, you might as well draft a guy like Tannehill @ QB if he's there and you believe in two years he'll be a great player.

An intelligent and thoughtful post! :worthy: