Outside Linebackers

That's perfectly fine, John.

As always, I'll stand by my convictions… like most of us here would.

Time will prove me right or wrong.

Actually I believe if you can evaluate players and you watch the ample video evidence on Irvin, that you won't be able to draw any other conclusion than the one I hold.

When you see how grossly he was misused at West Virginia (a 245 pound, 5-technique, 3-4 defensive end) and you see his above the 99th percentile athleticism (confirmed by his dominating performance at the combine), and the fire and violence and hunger he plays football with… yeah I believe this guy is going to be one of the 2-3 great players from this draft.

BTW, I liked Zack Brown earlier but I saw some more recent video compilations of the guy and I've really soured on him. He had a particularly disastrous effort against Missouri this year where he was completely indifferent, often out of position, and was shying away from physical contact.

Others here have championed Lavonte David and I agree that David is a very special player… but on my team I'd take Irvin first.

I'm not suggesting that Irvin won't be a good player. But projecting him to being better than a consensus top five draft prospect in last year's draft when most publications and internet postings have Irvin as a third round type of prospect is a stretch. The people favoring Lavonte David would still not find him being worthy as a high first round selection. Most of the people who favor David want him in the second round.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I caught word of some legal trouble from Irvin last weekend- any details out yet?

Yes, it's upthread just a few posts.

He mistook a sandwich shop sign for Tom Brady.

http://wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=51671

Probably a misdemeanor that will be dismissed.

Like I said, I haven't seen him get any personal foul penalties but he plays with great desire, anger, hunger, violence…

I think he was born to play football.

I'm not suggesting that Irvin won't be a good player. But projecting him to being better than a consensus top five draft prospect in last year's draft when most publications and internet postings have Irvin as a third round type of prospect is a stretch. The people favoring Lavonte David would still not find him being worthy as a high first round selection. Most of the people who favor David want him in the second round.

That's fine, John.

Have you watched the numerous videos of Irvin that I've posted?

If you have any doubts, by all means judge for yourself.

I'm not gonna go all Barbarian/Talleywhacker on you guys.

I only repeat myself a few times and then I move on.

this could be a nice 4-3 OLB:

Late yesterday afternoon a little-known linebacker impressed NFL teams at the Idaho pro day.

Korey Toomer, who sat on the sidelines in 2010 and was not considered training camp worthy by NFL scouts prior to the season, performed brilliantly in front of eight teams. The 6-2 Toomer tipped the scales at 236 pounds, then ran 40 times as fast as 4.49 seconds. His three-cone clocked 6.86 seconds, and he completed 20 reps on the bench. Toomer's vertical jump was a story in itself, as the athletic defender reached over the 40-inch maximum of the measuring machine on hand. Scouts decided to credit him with a mark of 41 inches.

from paulines pro-day-tracker

this could be a nice 4-3 OLB:

Late yesterday afternoon a little-known linebacker impressed NFL teams at the Idaho pro day.

Korey Toomer, who sat on the sidelines in 2010 and was not considered training camp worthy by NFL scouts prior to the season, performed brilliantly in front of eight teams. The 6-2 Toomer tipped the scales at 236 pounds, then ran 40 times as fast as 4.49 seconds. His three-cone clocked 6.86 seconds, and he completed 20 reps on the bench. Toomer's vertical jump was a story in itself, as the athletic defender reached over the 40-inch maximum of the measuring machine on hand. Scouts decided to credit him with a mark of 41 inches.

from paulines pro-day-tracker

Great numbers - any scouting report on him?

Now that we have the DL all shored up, and a decent amount of talent in the DBs, the question comes down to Linebackers. Specifically, Outside Linebackers in the 43.

I believe the team is planning on having Barnett and Morrison start as our OLBs. No doubt we need to find their replacements soon. But looking around the league, it's difficult to pin down what a prototypical 43 OLB is nowadays.

When I looked at the Pro-Bowl roster from 2011, most of the OLBs are from the 34 (Suggs, Wake, Phillips, Ware, and Orakpo). They are all basically DEs in the 43. The only 43 OLB named was Beason.

So my questions to you Linebacker experts are:

What are we looking for in a 43 OLB?

Who are the current examples in the NFL?

Which draft prospects look like they will be 43 OLBs?

Moats Is one!!!

Go Bills!!!

Moats Is one!!!

Go Bills!!!

Moats is a situational pass rusher AT BEST. He has to line up in a "wide-9" to be effective because he can't take on OTs. He's severely limited and I'd be surprised if he made the squad next season. If he can make an impact on STs then I can see him staying but I don't see him making it on the merits of his LB play alone.

GO BILLS!!!