Prospect of the Day

Estro

This guy hasn't gotten as ton of attention from the national pundits, but for my money he's the best pure OLB in this years draft. The biggest knock on him is he's undersized, at a little under 6'1" and 233 lbs. Certainly it's smaller than your prototypical LB, but Nick Barnett is 6'2", 230 lbs, and no one complains that he's too small.

Lavonte David has great speed, change of direction, and instincts. He's good in coverage and is also solid in run support. He'll never be a LB that's going to bull rush a 300 lb OL, but I'm not sure there are a ton of cover LB's that will ever be able to do that. In a league where defenses seem to be in their nickel packages just as much as their base defenses, the importance of cover (nickel) LB's is all the more important. Couple that with the fact that we play in a division with some pretty good TE's (Gronkowski, Hernandez, Keller, Fasano) and I think David would be a great asset for the Bills.

On obvious passing situations we'd have the ability to keep David and Barnett on the field and I think we'd be able to match up well in that package. Bo Pelini, head coach of Nebraska, was quoted last season saying there wasn't a LB in the nation he'd trade for Lavonte David, a lot of praise coming from a defensive minded coach. With the Bills having a beefier more talented DL upfront I really like the idea of getting these fast flowing playmaking LB's on the Bills. Guy can tackle, blitz, and cover, what's not to like? I think David would be dynamite on the Bills, what say you?

If you have time, check out the two clips of Lavonte David below: and if anyone has a comment or opinion on David please add, I'd like to know more about him.

(vs. Michigan)

(vs. South Carolina - Bowl Game)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lavonte-david-1.html (2 years statisitcs at Nebraska)

Edited by Estro

This guy hasn't gotten as ton of attention from the national pundits, but for my money he's the best pure OLB in this years draft. The biggest knock on him is he's undersized, at a little under 6'1" and 233 lbs. Certainly it's smaller than your prototypical LB, but Nick Barnett is 6'2", 230 lbs, and no one complains that he's too small.

Lavonte David has great speed, change of direction, and instincts. He's good in coverage and is also solid in run support. He'll never be a LB that's going to bull rush a 300 lb OL, but I'm not sure there are a ton of cover LB's that will ever be able to do that. In a league where defenses seem to be in their nickel packages just as much as their base defenses, the importance of cover (nickel) LB's is all the more important. Couple that with the fact that we play in a division with some pretty good TE's (Gronkowski, Hernandez, Keller, Fasano) and I think David would be a great asset for the Bills.

On obvious passing situations we'd have the ability to keep David and Barnett on the field and I think we'd be able to match up well in that package. Bo Pelini, head coach of Nebraska, was quoted last season saying there wasn't a LB in the nation he'd trade for Lavonte David, a lot of praise coming from a defensive minded coach. With the Bills having a beefier more talented DL upfront I really like the idea of getting these fast flowing playmaking LB's on the Bills. Guy can tackle, blitz, and cover, what's not to like? I think David would be dynamite on the Bills, what say you?

If you have time, check out the two clips of Lavonte David below: and if anyone has a comment or opinion on David please add, I'd like to know more about him.

(vs. Michigan)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lavonte-david-1.html (2 years statisitcs at Nebraska)

I like David a lot, as I think he would be a great 4-3 OLB. I also really like Ronnell Lewis (Oklahoma) who I think will be the best overall OLB in this class. If Lewis is there in round 2....I think he gets strong consideration.

(vs. Michigan)

I think OLB is the weak link of this Defense. I have started looking at Luke Kuechly because his skill set seems to be what the Bills need, He is considered by most, a top 15 pick. Watching L.David, I was really impressed, and I think he would be a better value than Kuechly, in the 2nd. This guy can read a play! I don't think his size should be an issue, and I think Wannstadt likes smaller, quicker LB's.

I'm a big fan of Ronnell Lewis as well. One of the things I like about RL, is that he hits HARD, and I think he will make some big plays in the NFL. I think that with the league emphasizing offense, it seems that "big play defenses" are the way to go. That means players that take risks. Lewis is that kind of player.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

(vs. Michigan)

Big David fan as the guy makes plays all over the field but he is not as fast (4.65) as you would like for his size and doubt he can cover TEs. If we want to cover a TE we need a big athletic LB like Donta Hightower or Shea McClellin.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Big David fan as the guy makes plays all over the field but he is not as fast (4.65) as you would like for his size and doubt he can cover TEs. If we want to cover a TE we need a big athletic LB like Donta Hightower or Shea McClellin.

Hightower isn't built for covering TE's. Virtually every scouting analyst considers that his main weakness.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I think this is a really underrated draft for outside linebackers.

Lavonte David is a great football player. He makes zero mistakes, is instinctive and smart, is always where he's supposed to be, understands leverage and plays his technique perfectly.

He's athletic and hustles and is one of the most sure-handed tacklers I've ever seen. In the game against Michigan he was one on one with Dennard Robinson numerous times in the open field and he always got him on the ground. He simply doesn't miss tackles and always knows where to be on any given play.

Great anticipation and very athletic.

David is a bit smaller than you 'd like and he's not a true thumper. That's his only shortcoming and it's not really an issue because of how good he is.

insn't built? He is the same size and speed of most TEs and he's good in coverage what else do you need.

Hightower is decent but he's an ILB, IMO. He may have run an impressive 40, but there's no doubt he's much stiffer and much less agile than LaVonte David. When it comes to staying on the field in passing situations theres no doubt David is far superior to Hightower.

I like hightower, I just think a guy like David fits our defense better than Hightower at this moment.

insn't built? He is the same size and speed of most TEs and he's good in coverage what else do you need.

Perhaps "isn't built" isn't the clearest term, but certainly "virtually every draft analyst considers his coverage ability to be his main weakness" is pretty clear. He also had a torn ACL...

It's not that I don't think he will be good player, just that I wouldn't draft him for his coverage abilities.