JAX crowd yesterday

BRH

I heard today on the radio that although the Alltell Stadium crowd was announced at 60,000 or whatever, there were maybe 35-40K in the stands. If that's true and the Jagwad fans only filled 2/3 of their house for a game with MAJOR playoff implications, they should be friggin ashamed of themselves.

I heard today on the radio that although the Alltell Stadium crowd was announced at 60,000 or whatever, there were maybe 35-40K in the stands.  If that's true and the Jagwad fans only filled 2/3 of their house for a game with MAJOR playoff implications, they should be friggin ashamed of themselves.

180974[/snapback]

Commented on this during the game. I was amazed at number of empty seats. At first figured folks were getting late to seats to start game but I see fans showed up as much as the Jags did. Maybe it was too cold

I heard today on the radio that although the Alltell Stadium crowd was announced at 60,000 or whatever, there were maybe 35-40K in the stands.  If that's true and the Jagwad fans only filled 2/3 of their house for a game with MAJOR playoff implications, they should be friggin ashamed of themselves.

180974[/snapback]

Think they knew their team was going to flop? ;) They saved themselves a wasted afternoon.

Think they knew their team was going to flop?  :)  They saved themselves a wasted afternoon.

180979[/snapback]

You know, cowbell might not have any bearing on a team's fortunes (he said, sotto voce), but the 12th man sure as hell does. I'm sure the Jags looked up in the stands and said WTF. It HAD to be messing with their minds. Not that I'm complaining! ;)

Um, wasn't the last Bills home playoff game blacked out (vs Jacksonville) because we Bills fans couldn't motivate to go? It was also Kelly's last game.

We shouldn't pick on Jacksonville too much. After all they just did the Bills a huge favor.

I was amazed that Leftwich only threw for 35 yards yesterday. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then I realized that when he got hurt, instead of putting in a backup quarterback, they tried to fool the Texans by putting Gary Coleman in his place.

A full eight minutes of play time elapsed before anyone recognized Coleman.

Doubt what I'm saying? Okay. Check this out.

Exhibit A: Byron Leftwich

Exhibit B: Gary Coleman

Coincidence? I think not.

I was amazed that Leftwich only threw for 35 yards yesterday. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then I realized that when he got hurt, instead of putting in a backup quarterback, they tried to fool the Texans by putting Gary Coleman in his place.

A full eight minutes of play time elapsed before anyone recognized Coleman.

Doubt what I'm saying? Okay. Check this out.

Exhibit A: Byron Leftwich

Exhibit B: Gary Coleman

Coincidence? I think not.

181014[/snapback]

Great stuff! lol

Um, wasn't the last Bills home playoff game blacked out (vs Jacksonville) because we Bills fans couldn't motivate to go? It was also Kelly's last game.

We shouldn't pick on Jacksonville too much. After all they just did the Bills a huge favor.

181007[/snapback]

With all due respect, we were coming off 4 straight Super Bowl appearances and it is not unusual for a fan base to get complacent when they have had an unbelievable amount of success. That said, what does JAX have to be complacent about? Also, that game drew 65k plus, a respectable crowd but there was huge blocks of empty seats because our capacity was still 80k then. A final interesting tidbit from that game was JAX backup QB was none other that Rob Johnson and I had the "privilege" of sitting next to his father who was one of the most obnoxious people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. He spent most of the game dumping on Buffalo and yelling what crappy fans we had because of the empty seats. A tad ironic for several reasons, no? All in all, a pretty funny memory. Years later, when Rob was here, I saw his father again walking the halls of the stadium and he clearly recognized me and remembered his comments about Buffalo. He looked like he had swallowed a handful of sh--.

Hope it was warm, stinky sh--.

San Fran was listed at 63,000 too. 63,000? Gotta love season tickets. It's the end of the season for them, I can understand it. The Bills didn't even TRY to score more points, but did. Couldn't help it.

I lived in Savannah, several years. Huge fan base, because the Falcons usually sucked. Jax did respectable, and still are. But there are a LOT of fair weather Jax fans in S. Georgia and N. Florida. They tend more to college allegiances, who could blame them.

If you want to talk about a town that does not deserve an NFL team let alone a Super Bowl, that would be Jax. They have a 47% adult illiteracy rate in Duval County (Jax) and are spending $2 Billion of the local taxpayer's money on everything but education.

The $2 billion has been spent on a baseball stadium, a basketball arena that has no tenant and improvements to Alltel for the Super Bowl, as well as a county courthouse/jail complex (got to have somewhere to put all the non-readers who commit crimes) that is coming in 2x over original budget and various intersection/road improvements throughout the city.

By Florida law its hard for a county or municipality to supplement what the state spends on education--but 47% illiteracy is just downright scary. That's developing country status at the UN. I asked the deputy superintendent of schools what she was going to do about adequate yearly progress under No Child Left Behind and she said--well the President is our governor's brother....nice excuse....

No wonder they can't sell tickets--half their potential buyers can't read.

John, I wouldn't have believed it either...but it was in a presentation from the Deputy Superintendent of Schools this spring when I visited with a group of education and business folks from NC.

Here is a link to a pdf file from educationcentral.org. Educationcentral.org is a clearninghouse for educational and economic data from around the country. It is on the first page of the pdf...it lists the 2003 rate at 46% functional illiterate....

Scary and disheartening stat...

I know you can pick on the warts of any municipality/county--but this is a damn huge wart. Also, they built an elevated rail system through part of downtown on both sides of the St. John's River---it doesn't service the part of downtown that includes the Minor League Baseball/NFL/Basketball arena complex.....guhhh... :blink:

With all due respect, we were coming off 4 straight Super Bowl appearances and it is not unusual for a fan base to get complacent when they have had an unbelievable amount of success.

181184[/snapback]

As far as I can remember, the only two Bills' home playoff games that were ever blacked out were the Comeback Game against the Oilers and the one against Jacksonville.

The Oiler game was somewhat understandable. We'd just gotten punked the week before by that same Oiler team and were heading into the game without Kelly and Biscuit. Add to that the fact we knew that a win would send us to Pittsburgh where we always got our ass handed to us. Plus we were coming off four seasons in which we'd gone to the AFC championship game three times without ever having to play a wildcard game, which the Oiler game was.

The Jacksonville game was also a wildcard game. We'd barely snuck into the playoffs after beating Kansas City in a winner-take-all match in the season's final game, after losing our previous three.

I can tell you with pretty decent certainty that even though both games were blacked out, there were at least 70,000 people in the stands. That's enough to sell out many stadiums, including Jacksonville's. Hell, these days now that the Ralph has a smaller capacity by about 8,000, both of those games probably would have sold out after a corporate sponsor (or Ralph himself) bought the last couple thousand tickets.

We had eight other home playoff games between 1989 and 1996. All sold out, including the divisional game against the Raiders following the 1993 season when it was 30 below.

Bob's right. Jacksonville doesn't have anything to be complacent about. They didn't even come close to filling that place in their biggest game of the season, coming off a huge win at Green Bay, and it's disgraceful.