EVERY FITZPATRICK HATER

Fitz's single biggest short coming is his accuracy, especially down the field accuracy. With proper off season training to improve his foot work and improve his core body strength, he can improve his accuracy. Now as the unquestioned starter, with the contract to prove it, with a full off season to work with, the question is... will he put in the work to address his most glaring weakness?

If he does, IMO, his performance will improve dramatically and so will the team's fortunes. Unfortunately, we won't really know until next season starts.

You're operating under the assumption that accuracy is something that can be taught. A large chunk of coaches, players and fans disagree with that assumption. Most, if not all, QBs completion percentage remains pretty steady throughout the prime of their careers and the exceptions to that rule tend to trend downward rather than upward.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're operating under the assumption that accuracy is something that can be taught. A large chunk of coaches, players and fans disagree with that assumption. Most, if not all, QBs completion percentage remains pretty steady throughout the prime of their careers and the exceptions to that rule tend to trend downward rather than upward.

Downfield accuracy is tough with broken ribs when you can't even call a whole play with one breath in the huddle ;)

Fitz's single biggest short coming is his accuracy, especially down the field accuracy. With proper off season training to improve his foot work and improve his core body strength, he can improve his accuracy. Now as the unquestioned starter, with the contract to prove it, with a full off season to work with, the question is... will he put in the work to address his most glaring weakness?

If he does, IMO, his performance will improve dramatically and so will the team's fortunes. Unfortunately, we won't really know until next season starts.

For those wanting to draft a QB of the future, just be prepared for heartache. Given Fitz's past performance and the glaring needs we have elswhere, I think its highly unlikely they draft a QB in the first round. Fitz has shown enough flash to get next season, but I think we can all agree he needs to improve. Let's just hope he does.

His accuracy in my opinion is not due to lack of strength or bad footwork, but his throwing motion. Look at it closely. He does not throw over the top like the good passers do. He has what I would call a 3/4 delivery, approaching sidearm. This is what causes him to look like he has a weak arm, and causes the inaccuracy.

This is not something he is going to change at this point in his career. It is what it is.

Every season is loaded with Ifs. Right mow the ifs are...if we get a pass rusher, if we get an OLB, if we get another CB, if we get a #1 WR, if Easley, Wood, Williams, Freddy all come back and stay healthy, if Hairston, Bell or a newbie can excel at LT, if we get another TE, if nobody gets hurt, if all of ifs happen we may have a decent year, say 9 and 7, and we will just miss or just make the playoffs. If not, same time next year, there will be a string of the same old Ifs....

Fitz played well at the beginning of the year because of the lockouts effect on defenses in this league. Here is one of many examples to back this point:

I feel that this year the teams that prospered were able to exploit defensive misalignments and coverage breakdowns that were endemic early in the season as a result of the reduced practice time caused by the lockout. I'd suggest that this was partly responsible for the explosion of passing across the league.

Now to my example.

Wes Welker - After five games Welker had 740 yards, an average of 148 yards per game, in the remaining eleven weeks he averaged 75 yards per game, which extrapolates to about 1200 yards, which is close to the sort of numbers he normally puts up.

You can NOT deny the effect that the lockout had. Defenses got better, teams got better, the Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick and went 1-8 down the stretch

I didn't realize his broken ribs to 2008.

Thanks for playing.

What does 2008 have anything to do with 2011 and beyond?

Fitz played well at the beginning of the year because of the lockouts effect on defenses in this league. Here is one of many examples to back this point:

I feel that this year the teams that prospered were able to exploit defensive misalignments and coverage breakdowns that were endemic early in the season as a result of the reduced practice time caused by the lockout. I'd suggest that this was partly responsible for the explosion of passing across the league.

Now to my example.

Wes Welker - After five games Welker had 740 yards, an average of 148 yards per game, in the remaining eleven weeks he averaged 75 yards per game, which extrapolates to about 1200 yards, which is close to the sort of numbers he normally puts up.

You can NOT deny the effect that the lockout had. Defenses got better, teams got better, the Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick and went 1-8 down the stretch

As it is always said defenses take less time to get up to speed and offenses need time to develop chemistry and rhythm. I would say the exact opposite is true. Our defense got worse as the year went on. Our offense got worse as well due to an overwhelming number of injuries at key spots like WR and O-line. By mid season we had a wild cat QB and a RB starting at WR. Add that to a banged up injured groin SJ and that is piss poor talent to work with as a QB.

Edited by PDaDdy

What does 2008 have anything to do with 2011 and beyond?

As it is always said defenses take less time to get up to speed and offenses need time to develop chemistry and rhythm. I would say the exact opposite is true. Our defense got worse as the year went on. Our offense got worse as well due to an overwhelming number of injuries at key spots like WR and O-line. By mid season we had a wild cat QB and a RB starting at WR. Add that to a banged up injured groin SJ and that is piss poor talent to work with as a QB.

1)that his accuracy was poor then, and not changed now, so maybe the ribs werent the issue

2)and a of offenses went huge early and settled back to earth. if you watch beyond this team, i think you would have seen that. i know the cliche is that offenses take more time to develop chemistry and timing but they generally were able to practice more during the lockout. hard to simulate defensive alignments and passing players in coverage or even hitting without real practice. much easier to practice route running and passing timing with just a handful of guys and no contact.

Edited by NoSaint

1)that his accuracy was poor then, and not changed now, so maybe the ribs werent the issue

2)and a of offenses went huge early and settled back to earth. if you watch beyond this team, i think you would have seen that. i know the cliche is that offenses take more time to develop chemistry and timing but they generally were able to practice more during the lockout. hard to simulate defensive alignments and passing players in coverage or even hitting without real practice. much easier to practice route running and passing timing with just a handful of guys and no contact.

1) His accuracy was great the first 6 or 7 games of the season until he ran out of targets to throw to and got blasted by London Fletcher.

2) Don't fool yourself. There was no head start the offense got. QBs and WRs getting together for a week at somebody's summer home doesn't count for spit. You also can't simulate playing against a defense or practice your offensive alignments. The cliche about offenses needing more time is a cliche because it is said over and over because it's true. It is what it is.

I know the haters love to attempt to judge Fitz in a vacuum and blame him for all the ills of the world but it is foolish to ignore all of the real world factors that made this a 6 - 10 TEAM!!! Let me know when Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees or Tom Brady become available and then we can talk. Until then try actually supporting your team and it's QB instead of bemoaning the fact that he isn't one of the best ever.

It's like your girlfriend whining because you proposed with a 1 carat diamond ring not a 2 carat diamond ring. Those types of QBs are RARE. Accept what we have and try supporting them to make them the best they can be instead of biatching.

Edited by PDaDdy

Regarding Fitz's accuracy, last year he had a career best of 62%. So he's trending upward for his career.

But the difference between the first seven games of last season (through the Redskins game when he was injured)and the nine games after is stark:

1st 7 games: 68%

Last nine: 57%

That is more a reflection of injuries to him and those around him than anything else, including the idea that defenses simply caught up with him (he still had five games of 63% or better in those last nine, which isn't too shabby).

While an improvement in mechanics may result in some improved accuracy, the biggest factor for Fitz is running an offense that won't ask him to throw a ton of low percentage passes. And that's exactly what Gailey designed for him, his receivers and, perhaps most importantly, the offensive line.

GO BILLS!!!

Regarding Fitz's accuracy, last year he had a career best of 62%. So he's trending upward for his career.

But the difference between the first seven games of last season (through the Redskins game when he was injured)and the nine games after is stark:

1st 7 games: 68%

Last nine: 57%

That is more a reflection of injuries to him and those around him than anything else, including the idea that defenses simply caught up with him (he still had five games of 63% or better in those last nine, which isn't too shabby).

While an improvement in mechanics may result in some improved accuracy, the biggest factor for Fitz is running an offense that won't ask him to throw a ton of low percentage passes. And that's exactly what Gailey designed for him, his receivers and, perhaps most importantly, the offensive line.

GO BILLS!!!

There ya go. I pretty much agree 95%. I find it difficult to attribute his drop off in accuracy midway through the season to defenses catching up with him because he wasn't throwing to the same guys after about week 6 or 7. It certainly could be "A" factor I just don't know how to assess it because we aren't comparing apples to apples, healthy talent wise, after all the injuries to the o-line and WR core.

Edited by PDaDdy

There ya go. I pretty much agree 95%. I find it difficult to attribute his drop off in accuracy midway through the season to defenses catching up with him because he wasn't throwing to the same guys after about week 6 or 7. It certainly could be "A" factor I just don't know how to assess it because we aren't comparing apples to apples, healthy talent wise, after all the injuries to the o-line and WR core.

right - but did you catch the end - throwing easier throws doesnt equate to becoming more accurate. itll be interesting to see this year. i dont think the book is written but im getting pretty skeptical.

There is no doubt that defenses adjust to what offenses are doing over the course of a season. It's the nature of the game. Always will be. And I think the point made upthread about the impact of the lockout is an excellent one as well. But to have your completion percentage drop by 11% over two halves of a season begs a closer look. I just can't believe it's a coincidence that the decline started AFTER he got hurt and continued as many key cogs got injured as well. I mean, the entire offense seemed to just fall off a cliff. Apples, oranges, or otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

Haters want to hate. Nothing you can do about it. Even if the Bills come out on fire like they did last year you will still have people whining about why the Bills didn't do everything they could to go get their "pet" QB of choice and pointing to the TEAM falling apart the second half of the season. Some people get that Fitz is not the problem and in THIS system at THIS time in his career he is very capable and effective with the Bills.

Pointing out the exception doesn't invalidate the rule but nobody cared that Kurt Warner was bagging groceries for years before he got back into the league, got the starting job due to injury and happened to be in the right place, right time and right system to win a superbowl. Afterwards Warner had many ups and downs and his career was considered over when he started losing with the Rams and was replaced by a rookie Eli Manning in NY. Suddenly he ends up in Arizona with Fitzgerald and Boldin and he was a star again and made it to the NFC championship game.

Most people don't get that it is a team game and the system, scheme and team around a guy are as much of a factor as the individual play of the QB. Matt Cassel set the world on fire in New England when Brady went down. In KC, not so much. Keep the faith. Haters are just going to hate.

nice

There is no doubt that defenses adjust to what offenses are doing over the course of a season. It's the nature of the game. Always will be. And I think the point made upthread about the impact of the lockout is an excellent one as well. But to have your completion percentage drop by 11% over two halves of a season begs a closer look. I just can't believe it's a coincidence that the decline started AFTER he got hurt and continued as many key cogs got injured as well. I mean, the entire offense seemed to just fall off a cliff. Apples, oranges, or otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

Offenses will also adjust to defenses of the course of the season. It is the yin and yang nature of the game. We agree the accuracy drop off the second half of the year has to be looked at. We just seem to disagree a bit about how much of a supposed head start a week of throwing routes to WRs at a summer home in shorts and t-shirts jump starts the offense and how much defenses can catch up while offenses themselves are trying to catch up with the defense.

As I have for the last 5 years I have just prayed for good health which we have had little of being a league leader in injuries. We always seem to get hit hard at a handful of positions and lose a valued play maker or expose a lack of depth at a position like WR where we normally employ 4 at a time. Maybe I should start going to church so the prayers will work :)

Who is your favorite player on the Bills and what is his record?

GO BILLS!!!

QB's are largely measured by their ability to LEAD their team to win football games. Fitzpatrick has not proven that he can do that. In fact he has proven that he is pretty good at LEADING his teams to losses.

Offenses will also adjust to defenses of the course of the season. It is the yin and yang nature of the game. We agree the accuracy drop off the second half of the year has to be looked at. We just seem to disagree a bit about how much of a supposed head start a week of throwing routes to WRs at a summer home in shorts and t-shirts jump starts the offense and how much defenses can catch up while offenses themselves are trying to catch up with the defense.

As I have for the last 5 years I have just prayed for good health which we have had little of being a league leader in injuries. We always seem to get hit hard at a handful of positions and lose a valued play maker or expose a lack of depth at a position like WR where we normally employ 4 at a time. Maybe I should start going to church so the prayers will work :)

Unless you think those little get togethers in shorts actually helps in preparing to run an offense, then we don't disagree on that at all. They don't simulate ANYTHING in the way of a real training camp practice let alone preparation for a particular regular season opponent. They're just nice feel good stories about how tight the guys are and what great leaders they are.

Health is key for EVERY team. Depth is critical for EVERY team. I mentioned it last season, but the silver lining in all those injuries is that our depth got some valuable playing time. I'm comfortable with Hairston as a swing tackle, for instance.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

certainly a factor. im sure it didnt help him!

but theres reason to believe hes also a streaky player and that there were warning signs along the way. id say hes somewhere in between over the long haul.

some stats that were worrisome at the time leading into the washington game - the picks in ny being flat ugly throws, the philly and cincy games being held to under 200 yards (cincy wasnt a pretty game, nor was NYG), and only having 3 tds and 3 picks in those 3 games. an average under 6 yards in cincy. Seven of his interceptions coming inside his own 20 on the season (awful spot to be throwing picks and speaks to decision making, not rib injuries)

thats not to say there arent redeeming qualities - his stats in the redzone were great for instance, he did play some great football in september. i like the guy this season even if we were to draft someone. the thing is hes been enough of a rollercoaster his whole career that it is part of his MO now. you come to expect a few monster games and a few real disappointing ones. injuries also happened at that time which im sure didnt help but many were waiting on him to level out, and he was starting to before the injury.

somewhere inbetween the two halves is what id expect next year but i also expect some ups and downs.

QB's are largely measured by their ability to LEAD their team to win football games. Fitzpatrick has not proven that he can do that. In fact he has proven that he is pretty good at LEADING his teams to losses.

So using the Matt Cassel example. He LEAD the Patriots to a 11-5 record in relief of Brady having not taken a snap since High School in a game that mattered. He goes to the Chiefs who gave up a poop load to get him and he LEAD his team to 4 -12(2008), 10-6(2009) and a 4-5(2011). What happened? He is a leader! He is a great QB! Didn't he PROVE he could do it?

Maybe, just maybe KC wasn't as good of a TEAM as New England and he isn't as good of a fit in their system? Maybe just MAYBE TEAMS win and lose games. Isn't it just possible?

1331246329[/url]' post='2399128']

It doesn't matter if he was throwing to the same guys or not. It's the scheme that they defended. Short pass after short pass. Press the WRs and bring some heat. If we get some better wrs, ones that can get off the line and get deep quick, maybe things will change. Hopefully Fitz will be able to connect.

I find it funny that the people that make up any and every excuse as to why fitz regressed (any other than his arm) in the 2nd half always point to to our wrs getting hurt. Stevie's injury I can understand, but he was playing. The only other significant injuries that occurred after 5-2 record was jones and chandler. Did fitz really miss DONALD JONES, that much? Were the guys that replaced him THAT much worse than Donald jones? The injury to chandler hurt him some, but it's not like the guy was catching a bunch of balls each game. He only had one game, after week three in which he caught a td. Losing Fred and the OL hurt fitz more than the injuries to the wrs. We replaced backup Wr with another backup.

I'm going to fitz the benefit of the doubt and hope that it was his rib injury that was the primary cause for his poor play. The injuries played a part, but he had several terrible throws that had nothing to do with the guys blocking or running routes. They were just awful passes. Until he leads us to the playoffs, I'll be campaigning for acquiring a more talented QB. So should you.