Ironic

Trader

And when we made the switch to the 3-4 we got...Torell Troup. That's not irony, that's cruelty.

As for irony or cruelty, I think it's neither.

Agree with Trader… I've had the same thought although obviously NIx knows better than we do.

I know Nix/Gailey have hedged and mitigated their comments ("we told our scouts to get the best players and we'll put them in a system that works") but:

1) IMO they didn't need to commit to a system

2) And if they were going to commit to a system, they didn't need to do so publicly

A lot of these edge rushers look like nice 3-4 OLBs to me and of course Poe looks like a guy you could build your defense around.

That said, I'll continue in the "third tri-mester" of this pregnancy, to give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

This is a critical year for this regime.

What do you call a second round pick with zero production that a team reached for because of an ill-advised switch in defensive alignment?

Torell Troup was a 4-3 DT for UFC. He was drafted because he dominated his conference and could split double teams. When he was drafted, the card read disrutpive DT that plays the 1 and 3 techinique that could potentially play zero technique. Had we drafted Cody, he would be a true misfit for Wanny's defense.

Troup is a failed pick so far, not because of poor ability but because of health problems.

Torell Troup was a 4-3 DT for UFC. He was drafted because he dominated his conference and could split double teams. When he was drafted, the card read disrutpive DT that plays the 1 and 3 techinique that could potentially play zero technique. Had we drafted Cody, he would be a true misfit for Wanny's defense.

Troup is a failed pick so far, not because of poor ability but because of health problems.

He had health problems last year, before that he just couldn't get on the field. Wasted pick.

The draft is loaded with outstanding 3-4 defenders.

yep wish we were staying with it, this could be how we draft:

1. Dontari Poe Memphis 6'5" 350 NT

2. Jared Crick Nebraska 6'4" 285 DE

3. Cam Johnson Virginia 6'3" 270 OLB

4. Michael Egnew Missouri 6'5" 242 TE

4. Donnie Fletcher Boston College 6'1" 198 CB

5. Shea McClellin Boise State 6'3" 258 OLB

5. Chris Rainey Florida 5'8" 176 WR

6. Reuben Randle LSU 6'4" 207 WR

7. Matt Reynolds BYU 6'4" 305 LOT

yep wish we were staying with it, this could be how we draft:

1. Dontari Poe Memphis 6'5" 350 NT

2. Jared Crick Nebraska 6'4" 285 DE

3. Cam Johnson Virginia 6'3" 270 OLB

4. Michael Egnew Missouri 6'5" 242 TE

4. Donnie Fletcher Boston College 6'1" 198 CB

5. Shea McClellin Boise State 6'3" 258 OLB

5. Chris Rainey Florida 5'8" 176 WR

6. Reuben Randle LSU 6'4" 207 WR

7. Matt Reynolds BYU 6'4" 305 LOT

Matt Reynolds would be a decent 7th! He's been great at BYU and was a sought after player coming out of high school. Only problem is he is 25, needs to add some muscle and is a projected guard in the NFL.

Excellent points about Troup, Fixxer. He was one hell of a prospect and i was glad we got him. Then i was waiting to see him, and then still waiting.

His last report about injuries was he has had a nagging problem with his back that should be good to go this year. He did man up and play even with his club fist. A nose really needs his hands y'know. both of 'em.

This year is THE season of expectations fulfilled or not for Buddy. We have K. Williams coming off IR and Fred Jackson and maybe Merriman. Then Mcgee and Wood and Stevies groin and Chandlers something something Easley too. Fitz, Wilson, Bell, Hairston and Troup. if we do not play big time football this year we can blame it on the regime. We have enough players to field a decent team and we have this great aggresive defensive mind now calling the shots.

I will be watching T. Troup, Mr.beerball and "expect" him to deliver this time around.