I want the Pats in the playoffs!

Pete

31-0 was the "Greatest Buffalo Victory in 5 Years".

When it happened...

Apparently this Miami win is like Buffalo coming back against the Oilers.

What a joke. And I find it amusing that their are Buffalo fans who like to think it was anything more than a second regular season loss.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a regular season upset.  A bad loss.  Not even close to anything that resembled "greatest upset of last 5 years".  You want a great upset?  How about Pats over Pittsburgh in AFC Championship game 2001?  Or maybe Pats of Rams in the SB?  How about Carolina over Philly in the NFC Championship game?  I could list dozens more, but if you want to go on about this one friggen game go ahead. 

181901[/snapback]

Those games don't even come CLOSE to being in the league of an epic collapse like we saw two Monday's ago. How does an AFC Championship game, where the underdog wins, compare to the complete and utter embarrassment that happened vs. Miami? Even Carolina over Philly doesn't compare because they made it to the championship game.

This was a game you had to have, and you crapped the bed in the last four minutes when the game was in hand by TWO FREAKIN' SCORES!!!

And anyone on this board will tell you, I give due props to Brady and Patriots whenever it is warranted. But that doesn't take away the fact that it was, without question, the single most embarrassing upset of the past five years. How can you see it any other way?

I thought it was going to be the Hartford Patriots (?)

181923[/snapback]

That was in the late 90s after the State of Mass. wouldn't let the Pats build a stadium in South Boston on the waterfront (and the Pats were already owned by Kraft). With the threat of Kraft building outside Massachusetts (they also looked to build in Providence), a compromise was reached between Kraft and the Mass. Legislature to build CMGI Field (nee Gillette Stadium) behind the old Foxboro Stadium.

In 1993, a St. Louis native named James Busch Orthwein owned the Patriots, buying them from (shudder) Victor Kiam. Orthwein bought the team with the intention of moving to St. Louis or selling to the highest bidder. When Orthwein tried to move the team to St. Louis, Bob Kraft - who owned Foxboro Stadium at the time - wouldn't let Orthwein move the team, as he held an ironclad lease for where the Pats would play until late in the '00 decade. Orthwein wound up selling the team to Kraft (a Boston native), and the rest, as they say, is history.

Those games don't even come CLOSE to being in the league of an epic collapse like we saw two Monday's ago. How does an AFC Championship game, where the underdog wins, compare to the complete and utter embarrassment that happened vs. Miami? Even Carolina over Philly doesn't compare because they made it to the championship game.

This was a game you had to have, and you crapped the bed in the last four minutes when the game was in hand by TWO FREAKIN' SCORES!!!

And anyone on this board will tell you, I give due props to Brady and Patriots whenever it is warranted. But that doesn't take away the fact that it was, without question, the single most embarrassing upset of the past five years. How can you see it any other way?

181926[/snapback]

Playoffs are infinately more meaningful than regular season, thats why. Perhaps if Buffalo didn't have some of their worst colapses when it mattered the most (not when it matters the least, as in the case with New England) you wouldn't be so sour.

I see it as a loss during the regular season that had no real impact on the post season (assuming a Pittsburgh win), and I am correct.

It was not a game we "had to have". One win out of our last three would have clinched the second seed. The first seed was out of our control. We'd have to win out and hope for a Pittsburgh loss.

You go on as if that loss spiraled the Pats into a losing streak of doom. Instead they snap out of it and put a horse whuppin on a key divisional rival (and a good team too). So if anything, the loss has made the Pats a BETTER team because of it.

Playoffs are infinately more meaningful than regular season, thats why.  Perhaps if Buffalo didn't have some of their worst colapses when it mattered the most (not when it matters the least, as in the case with New England) you wouldn't be so sour.

I see it as a loss during the regular season that had no real impact on the post season (assuming a Pittsburgh win), and I am correct.

It was not a game we "had to have".  One win out of our last three would have clinched the second seed.  The first seed was out of our control.  We'd have to win out and hope for a Pittsburgh loss.

You go on as if that loss spiraled the Pats into a losing streak of doom.  Instead they snap out of it and put a horse whuppin on a key divisional rival (and a good team too).  So if anything, the loss has made the Pats a BETTER team because of it.

181940[/snapback]

Sour? I'm not sour. Watching the Patriots crap the bed like that is simply the equivalent of having your spouse suggest at halftime that she's in the mood to give you a quick blowjob.

This was particularly enjoyable because your losses, right now, don't happen too often. And when they do, all of you Patsy trolls climb back under the bridge like the Billy Goats Gruff until you win again. And THEN you all come back out and suggest that a crappy performance and gameplan by the Jets was the result of your team whuppin' their ass.

Okay. I get it. But a Patsy troll is still a Patsy troll, and when you lose, I relish the competitive quietude.

Au contraire, LA. As a matter of fact, Doza, Thurman's Helmet, and myself came back over to TBD last Monday night/Tuesday morning so we could take our lumps. THAT'S something you should respect. Not one of us ran and hid after a tough loss, unlike some of your especially thin-skinned brethren on this board.

Au contraire, LA.  As a matter of fact, Doza, Thurman's Helmet, and myself came back over to TBD last Monday night/Tuesday morning so we could take our lumps.  THAT'S something you should respect.  Not one of us ran and hid after a tough loss, unlike some of your especially thin-skinned brethren on this board.

181965[/snapback]

It gets its due respect. But after Tuesday? Silence.

Win a game, and you're here all week, two shows a day. Lose a game, you make your nod and go back into hiding. I'm just sayin....you don't lose very often, so when you do, it's kinda obvious.

MEANINGLESS? That freakin' game cost you home field for the playoffs! How is that game meaningless?

And please find me an upset of more epic proportions. You were playing a last-place team, with a second-string quarterback, a third string running back, a banged up secondary and an interim coach! You had one loss and they had 11. You were defending SB champs and they are cellar dwellers. Please. Name one upset as embarrassing as that game.

You can't. Plain and simple.

181860[/snapback]

Minnesota at Arizona in week 17 last year comes to mind.

I would say our upset of the Dallas Cowboys (though not in the last 5 years) back in 1984. That loss ended up knocking the Cowboys out of the playoffs for the first time in something like 17 years. We won 2 games that season.

Before that, our upset of the Super Bowl bound Jets in 1968. Our only win of the season (one tie).

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Yeah and you also dont WIN the Super Bowls when you get into them.

181106[/snapback]

I must have MISSED the Super Bowl in which New England beat up the Monsters of the Midway in SB XX....

Boy how THAT was forgotten, huh?

:o

I would say our upset of the Dallas Cowboys (though not in the last 5 years) back in 1984.  That loss ended up knocking the Cowboys out of the playoffs for the first time in something like 17 years.  We won 2 games that season.

182017[/snapback]

I can still see Greg "Tinker" Bell taking it to the house on the first play from scrimmage.

I can still see Greg "Tinker" Bell taking it to the house on the first play from scrimmage.

That same year, Syracuse beat Nebraska 17-9.  It was a good year for shocking upsets in upstate NY.

182024[/snapback]

Call me crazy, yes it was a BIG upset when Miami beat New England, but I just dont think of it as an historic upset for a few reasons:

Division opponents- Remember when Browing Nagle lead Jets teams would give the Bills teams of the early 90's fits???? I was at a MNF game in 92 I believe, when the Bills had to march down the field to beat the Jets by 4...and Browing Nagle was the Jets QB...those were some stevestojanitty Jets teams.

Miami really wasnt playing that bad: Almost beat the Bills, played well at Seattle, they still have some players there, especially on defense.

You want a bigger upset? Remember when the 0-11 Bills of 1984 I believe beat the Dallas Cowboys? Werent the Boys an 8-3 team at that time???? I remember 203 yards or Greg Bell and it was a 14-3 win....to me THAT was a bigger upset.

Just my 2 cents.

Seems like all these other examples have some further meaning to them, like knocking a team from a playoff birth, or knocking a team out of the playoffs.

Still waiting to find out what Miami did to the Pats that even comes close, other than putting a blemish on a 13 (hopefully 14) win season.

Seems like all these other examples have some further meaning to them, like knocking a team from a playoff birth, or knocking a team out of the playoffs.

Still waiting to find out what Miami did to the Pats that even comes close, other than putting a blemish on a 13 (hopefully 14) win season.

182047[/snapback]

The win over the soon to be Super Bowl Champion Jets didn't. But don't let that spoil your trolling. :o

Not even close. Yes, it was a choke. But the Vikings aren't in the same class as the Patriots, and the Cardinals are actually a better team than the Fish. But not a bad try.

181984[/snapback]

Come on - let's be serious.

The Vikings were up 17-6 at the 2 minute warning with a playoff spot on the line against a team who were in line to get the #1 draft pick with a loss. They ultimately lost the game and the playoff spot on a 4th and 26 play.

All Pats/Bills rivalry aside - that HAS to be it.

Objectively, the Pats weren't even double digit favorites at Miami (9.5), and there are plenty of occasions when double digit favorites have spit the bit over the last five years.

It was a very bad loss, but ultimately it may not have cost them anything if Pittsburgh were to have won out. The loss to Pittsburgh on the other hand certainly cost them home field throughout.