Astro's BPA Draft

Astrobot

Chris Brown saying he doesn't like the DE's in RD1 makes me think the Bills might use more of a BPA strategy in the first 3 rounds. Who's actually there on some posted Big Boards?

I am using National Football Post's Big Board and DraftTek's Big Board to make my mock.

So I am showing you the 10th, 41st, 72nd, 105th, 124th, 137th, 138th comp pick, 167th, 200th, and 224th (comp pick, yet to be determined).

Here's the player at that draft slot, and which board I used.

1-Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB (DraftTek)--NFP had Blackman there--no way he hits #10

2-Mohamed Sanu WR (NFP)--Chase Minnifield was DraftTek's

3-Vinny Curry DE (NFP) --Robert Turbin, RB Utah State was DraftTek's but Syracuse's Chandler DE was 73rd

4-Malik Jackson DE (NFP) --Kheeston Randall DE34(DraftTek)

4-Deangelo Peterson TE(NFP)--Emmanuel Acho SILB (DraftTek)

5-Chris Rainey WR(DraftTek)--Jaye Howard DT(NFP)

5-Cliff Harris CB (DraftTek)--Brian Quick WR(NFP)

6-Tommy Streeter WR (DraftTek)--Rhett Ellison TE(NFP)

7-Tydreke Powell DT43 (DraftTek)--Jeff Fuller WR (NFP)

7-Patrick Witt QB (DraftTek)--Charles Mitchell SS (NFP)

If we pulled off Upshaw-Sanu-Curry, I wouldnt even care about the rest of the draft, although it looks decent as well.

Here's to hoping!

Of course we can hope, but we all know that edge rushers and sideline to sideline OLB's will go earlier than their big board rank. If we took Upshaw-Curry, this draft is plenty deep at WR to get one in any round--illustrated in that mock.

5-Chris Rainey WR

5-Brian Quick WR(NFP)

6-Tommy Streeter WR

7-Jeff Fuller WR (NFP)

Fuller will go earlier than 7, but how about these RD7 WR's?

Damarlo Belcher WR Indiana 6-5 213 12 TD - not James Hardy II

Jarrett Boykin WR Va Tech 6’2” 218 -- RD7#200-215, 2 td in va game, great in sugar bowl

Lavoisier Tuinei WR Oregon 6’5” 216--inclement weather player, sets up defenders really well, catches away from body, light for a TE, add weight and he’s an H-back, 80 Oregon goes immediately to the ground for 2TDs, great body control, last minute snatch to catch long pass so CB didn’t know, stick legs, needs beef

B.J. Cunningham WR Michigan State 6’2” 215, One guy climbing up boards this week, doesn't have elite speed to gain separation, but can create all the separation he needs, variety of polished moves within his routes, 41-game catch streak (ended vs. Dennard), awesome vs. East's defensive backs in Senior Bowl week

WR Julian Talley: UMass 6-1, 184, good separation at Senior Bowl week

Chris Brown saying he doesn't like the DE's in RD1 makes me think the Bills might use more of a BPA strategy in the first 3 rounds. Who's actually there on some posted Big Boards?

I am using National Football Post's Big Board and DraftTek's Big Board to make my mock.

So I am showing you the 10th, 41st, 72nd, 105th, 124th, 137th, 138th comp pick, 167th, 200th, and 224th (comp pick, yet to be determined).

3-Vinny Curry DE (NFP) --Robert Turbin, RB Utah State was DraftTek's but Syracuse's Chandler DE was 73rd

I see Nix looking at the board and then deciding on going with an OT, Reiff or Martin. In the second round he takes DE Curry. I don't see Curry falling to the third round. If Buddy could move down a bit in the first round and get a player such as DE Mercillus I would be more than happy.

My fear with Upshaw is that in college he over-powered the oppposition. I'm not sure he can do it in the pros. I see Upshaw as a good player, not so much as an impact player.

Edited by JohnC

I see Nix looking at the board and then deciding on going with an OT, Reiff or Martin. In the second round he takes DE Curry. I don't see Curry falling to the third round. If Buddy could move down a bit in the first round and get a player such as DE Mercillus I would be more than happy.

My fear with Upshaw is that in college he over-powered the oppposition. I'm not sure he can do it in the pros. I see Upshaw as a good player, not so much as an impact player.

How about going Upshaw/Curry in the 1st and 2nd? You get one of each type of OLB/DE, and can let Wanny figure out what to do with all that talent.

Then go BPA:OL/WR/DB/TE/LB the rest of the draft.

It does seem buddy is not in love with any of the d ends, so I think you have to take Upshaw out of the mix. Chan pointed out a tackle was a need , and he has never been one to keep things close to the vest "we need a scat back ". I guess Rieff didn't fair well at the combine, short arms and not a ton of reps. So at this point it could be Martin, or a corner . Jenkins seems to be a fast riser.

Pot use doen't really mean he a bad guy. Gil Brandt once said that you have to figure out is the player like most of the other kids in college and smokes a little pot or he is a guy with some bigger issues. Either way I think there is good depth in this draft but not sure we are going to get a multiple pro bowl player at 10

btw love the m jackson pick at 4 . I hope he stays in that range , thinking he might be a riser

thanks for your work

It does seem buddy is not in love with any of the d ends, so I think you have to take Upshaw out of the mix. Chan pointed out a tackle was a need , and he has never been one to keep things close to the vest "we need a scat back ". I guess Rieff didn't fair well at the combine, short arms and not a ton of reps. So at this point it could be Martin, or a corner . Jenkins seems to be a fast riser.

Pot use doen't really mean he a bad guy. Gil Brandt once said that you have to figure out is the player like most of the other kids in college and smokes a little pot or he is a guy with some bigger issues. Either way I think there is good depth in this draft but not sure we are going to get a multiple pro bowl player at 10

btw love the m jackson pick at 4 . I hope he stays in that range , thinking he might be a riser

thanks for your work

People keep saying this, but I watched the interview. All he said was that the draft is very deep at DE through the 3rd and 4th rounds. He never said he didnt like some of the top guys or that we wouldnt pick one. For all we know, he's planning on taking a DE in the 1st, and another later on.

People keep saying this, but I watched the interview. All he said was that the draft is very deep at DE through the 3rd and 4th rounds. He never said he didnt like some of the top guys or that we wouldnt pick one. For all we know, he's planning on taking a DE in the 1st, and another later on.

I agree, what I got from it is that there is some talent in the first round but he or they may or may not be there at 10. There is more second and mid round talent at DE so it's possible to do as you suggest or wait and get 1 or 2 pass rushers in the second and later rounds.

How about going Upshaw/Curry in the 1st and 2nd? You get one of each type of OLB/DE, and can let Wanny figure out what to do with all that talent.

Then go BPA:OL/WR/DB/TE/LB the rest of the draft.

I think you have a terrfic proposal. Upshaw is not going to be a dynamic pass rusher but he is certainly going to add an element of toughness and intelligence to your defense. In my view Upshaw is a relatively safe pick who doesn't have the potential upside that some other quicker players might bring you but he will be a solid addition. I like him a lot.

Nix has made some revealing comments about Upshaw that indicate that he won't take him at such a high draft spot. He essentially said that Upshaw was able to overpower players in college but wouldn't be able to do that in the pros. So I don't think Nix will take him unless he trades down, which is very unlikely.

It seemed suggested though that he was going to grab them in the later rounds. Because he is definitely getting a pass rush on! That part was reassuring

Blackmon, Minnifield, and Curry would be sweet.

I wish you would have kept DFT and NFP in separate columns, would have made it better.

I think the best player who will be available is DeCastro. I think there is a strong chance he plays in many Pro Bowls, and many teams will regret passing on his talent just because he is a guard.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we pulled off Upshaw-Sanu-Curry, I wouldnt even care about the rest of the draft, although it looks decent as well.

Here's to hoping!

SERIOUSLY!!! That may turn out to be one of the best drafts in the last 10 years...LOL, not saying much there, but I would do a backflip...and probably land on my head.