Dan Rather must be at Huffington Post

DaveinElma

What you should do is stiff the server and give 15% to the kitchen. :D

I would. It's been forever since I've eaten out anywhere but Subway or the like (Rare for that, too. I like to make my own food for reasons of cost and quality.)

I never quite got why I should be socially bound to give 15 percent to someone who simply scratches down an order and walks your food 10-20 feet to your table. The people in the kitchen are the ones doing the majority of the work while a waiter/waitress plays a social role. Maybe it's just me....

I would. It's been forever since I've eaten out anywhere but Subway or the like (Rare for that, too. I like to make my own food for reasons of cost and quality.)

I never quite got why I should be socially bound to give 15 percent to someone who simply scratches down an order and walks your food 10-20 feet to your table. The people in the kitchen are the ones doing the majority of the work while a waiter/waitress plays a social role. Maybe it's just me....

Because the restaurant pays them next to nothing, expecting you to make up the difference. Restaurants pay back of the house employees a reasonable (not great) wage. Depending on the position, their wages may be supplemented by the servers tips (money taken out of the server's wages). This is generally simply based on his or her sales. IIRC they are now basing any taxes on an assumed 8% of sales. So the cutesy 1% tip, if true, probably cost that waitress money. She got the pleasure of waiting on someone and paying to do so. All for the royal sum of $2.75 an hour (minus taxes and tip share).

And if you think that is all a waiter/waitress does, then you're an idiot.

Because the restaurant pays them next to nothing, expecting you to make up the difference. Restaurants pay back of the house employees a reasonable (not great) wage. Depending on the position, their wages may be supplemented by the servers tips (money taken out of the server's wages). This is generally simply based on his or her sales. IIRC they are now basing any taxes on an assumed 8% of sales. So the cutesy 1% tip, if true, probably cost that waitress money. She got the pleasure of waiting on someone and paying to do so. All for the royal sum of $2.75 an hour (minus taxes and tip share).

And if you think that is all a waiter/waitress does, then you're an idiot.

The story might be true or perhaps the person gave such terrible service and warranted a terrible tip?

The story might be true or perhaps the person gave such terrible service and warranted a terrible tip?

I am not really debating the story. I left it alone when I first read it, as it strikes me as fake. Someone would have to be a real asshat to do that. I was simply explaining how it works if someone DID do that.

I usually tip about 20% if its really bad service, from there it goes up.

The custom here is 15%. 20% if the girl is hot and good service. There have been some occasions where I am my friends received terrible service (write a blog about it terrible) and we left nothing.

I am not really debating the story. I left it alone when I first read it, as it strikes me as fake. Someone would have to be a real asshat to do that. I was simply explaining how it works if someone DID do that.

Fair enough.

Edited by meazza

I usually tip about 20% if its really bad service, from there it goes up.

Magox rocks! I have left a grand total of 4 15% tips and it was for hideous service. I am a far harsher critic than most I should note as I know what should be done and assign blame to the appropriate person. When I go out for work related lunches or dinners, people with me often comment on how critical I am of bad servers. If they are visibly slacking, they get 16% and I explain it could have been as high as 40%.

Magox rocks! I have left a grand total of 4 15% tips and it was for hideous service. I am a far harsher critic than most I should note as I know what should be done and assign blame to the appropriate person. When I go out for work related lunches or dinners, people with me often comment on how critical I am of bad servers. If they are visibly slacking, they get 16% and I explain it could have been as high as 40%.

I actually leave 20% for good service, 30% if the server goes out of their way for something, and 10% if the service is bad (5% if it's really bad, like on the rare occasion when I have to actually get up and find someone to ask for the check. If I have to do the work, I'm not paying you for it.)

I actually leave 20% for good service, 30% if the server goes out of their way for something, and 10% if the service is bad (5% if it's really bad, like on the rare occasion when I have to actually get up and find someone to ask for the check. If I have to do the work, I'm not paying you for it.)

I pay them, so they have to listen to me. I critique them as I sign the check and explain where they went wrong.

I would bet that it is fake in one way or the other. If the boss sees what his employee has done and said the employee would be immediately fired.

What you should do is stiff the server and give 15% to the kitchen. :D

:lol::wallbash:

I used to date a hipster chick, whose other job was wine manager for an eclectic restaurant in Philly. Needless to say I learned more about the industry than I ever wanted to, but, I basically drank myself silly for nearly free while this was going on, so it wasn't all bad.

The major downside was: you could not go to dinner with this girl without rigamarole. Endless issues. This wasn't right, that wasn't right. That other server was being a B word, ours knows what she's doing but she's lazy, everybody hates the manager, etc. Initially it was sorta interesting, in an "inside baseball" kinda way, but it gets old, quick, when somebody keeps sending your food back, but, at the same time, has no issue with her plate being dirty...because it's been sanitized...whatever the F that means. :blink:

As you know: I am about root causes. So, one dinner, before thinking :wallbash: I stupidly spouted this very idea. After all, the server had been acting retarded, but the food was quite good. I then proceeded to spend an embarrassing hour cursing myself while unmitigated hipster moron tried to implement my bright idea. She ended up getting tossed. Cussing out the manager didn't help.

The lesson was: "never get out of the boat". I now happily go along with the rules, because I find tipping well gets you unexpected treats over the long term.

Totally real. Yep, real I tells ya.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/banker-1-percent-tip-receipt_n_1299280.html

The liberal propaganda machine against successful people knows no bounds.

Its a crappy thing to do to someone working and trying to keep their bills paid....

Actually Waiting is in and of itself is a results oriented business... not entitlement.... you kills it in service and delivering a pleasent dining expereince, you get 20% if not more... you suck, you may get zilch.

I tip handsomely to people put in the effort.... be there, not an easy job and the good Wait staff make a good dining expereince great

Oh I bet that goes over real well. :rolleyes:

Well, I have only done it twice. Once where the server, among a bunch of other stuff, rested the bottom of drinks stacked two high in the beverage of the bottom glass. And another where after waiting five minutes to be greeted, the first comment from the server was, "Well , I guess I have to wait on you." The service went downhill from there.