Cornerback and LT Situation

Estelle Getty

I haven't posted in a while but this craziness about how bad our cornerbacks and how weak our LT are is has brought me out of hibernation. Sometimes I think we must have been watching different teams last year. We had arguably the worst pass rush in the league and still some out there think cornerback should be one of our top FA/Draft priorities. Give any QB 6 seconds to pass and they will shred your secondary.

Our o-line was one of the strongest positions on our team last year and some fans think we need to take a LT with the 10th pick. Really? We allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL and we got great value out of a mid round OT(Hairston). The O-line was great in run and pass blocking. Considering the type of offense we run and the QB we have (needs very little time in the pocket) the O-line and running backs are the strongest positions on this team. Let me break the starters down for those who are a bit confused.

LT-Hairston/Bell- One was a midround pick who played pretty damn good all season especially for a rookie who was supposed to play RT. The other allowed 1 sack in 7 games and could be brought back relatively cheap. Yet some people want to waste a 1st round pick on a position we actually have good depth. Moves like this are the reason why this team pisses in the wind year in and year out. Those who are calling for this need to rewatch every game to see the opposing QBs having enough time to make a ham sandwich in the pocket.

Cornerbacks

Florence- Had a rough year but so would Revis with that poor excuse for a D-line -Dareus. We just resigned him last year no way we will cut him like some seem to think. Still a great playmaker although sometimes for the other team. Big and physical is a +. He can match up with the bigger WR in our division.

Williams- When healthy was are most solid CB in my opinion. Lots of upside and seems like he will be a solid CB for years to come.

Mcgee- Thought we would cut him but restructured his contract. Perfect nickel CB. Which is what I think the Bills will use him for. 3 million a year makes that doable.

Mckelvin- Wouldn't count on him for much more than 4th CB. He has playmaking skills. Lacks coverage skills but is not as bad as some make him out. Good depth to fill in at # 2 CB in case of injury. Will more than likely stay on the team because we wouldn't save much money from cutting him.

Rogers- Was solid when he was on the field. Could be a sleeper to start next year. Fast, with decent size, and seemed to be around the ball quite often last year.

Although I don't think bringing in another CB through FA wouldn't be a bad idea I do not think we need any help at o-line as long as we resign Bell. We have no decent options at DE next year I personally think that should be are #1 and #1a priorities this offseason. Edwards is pathetic and Kelsey isn't far behind. Carrington would be good for depth. Don't really see the argument with this evaluation, but here they come.

I haven't posted in a while but this craziness about how bad our cornerbacks and how weak our LT are is has brought me out of hibernation. Sometimes I think we must have been watching different teams last year. We had arguably the worst pass rush in the league and still some out there think cornerback should be one of our top FA/Draft priorities. Give any QB 6 seconds to pass and they will shred your secondary.

Our o-line was one of the strongest positions on our team last year and some fans think we need to take a LT with the 10th pick. Really? We allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL and we got great value out of a mid round OT(Hairston). The O-line was great in run and pass blocking. Considering the type of offense we run and the QB we have (needs very little time in the pocket) the O-line and running backs are the strongest positions on this team. Let me break the starters down for those who are a bit confused.

LT-Hairston/Bell- One was a midround pick who played pretty damn good all season especially for a rookie who was supposed to play RT. The other allowed 1 sack in 7 games and could be brought back relatively cheap. Yet some people want to waste a 1st round pick on a position we actually have good depth. Moves like this are the reason why this team pisses in the wind year in and year out. Those who are calling for this need to rewatch every game to see the opposing QBs having enough time to make a ham sandwich in the pocket.

Cornerbacks

Florence- Had a rough year but so would Revis with that poor excuse for a D-line -Dareus. We just resigned him last year no way we will cut him like some seem to think. Still a great playmaker although sometimes for the other team. Big and physical is a +. He can match up with the bigger WR in our division.

Williams- When healthy was are most solid CB in my opinion. Lots of upside and seems like he will be a solid CB for years to come.

Mcgee- Thought we would cut him but restructured his contract. Perfect nickel CB. Which is what I think the Bills will use him for. 3 million a year makes that doable.

Mckelvin- Wouldn't count on him for much more than 4th CB. He has playmaking skills. Lacks coverage skills but is not as bad as some make him out. Good depth to fill in at # 2 CB in case of injury. Will more than likely stay on the team because we wouldn't save much money from cutting him.

Rogers- Was solid when he was on the field. Could be a sleeper to start next year. Fast, with decent size, and seemed to be around the ball quite often last year.

Although I don't think bringing in another CB through FA wouldn't be a bad idea I do not think we need any help at o-line as long as we resign Bell. We have no decent options at DE next year I personally think that should be are #1 and #1a priorities this offseason. Edwards is pathetic and Kelsey isn't far behind. Carrington would be good for depth. Don't really see the argument with this evaluation, but here they come.

I'm just curious what you saw that you think he was our best CB last year? I thought he was wildly incosistent (as he should be as a rookie), but I didn't think he was that great.

If healthy, I like McGee on the outside still.

As far as McKelvin, I think he plays well in the slot. He's better with the shorter, shiftier guys than he is on the outside. Plus, since he's inside he'll guard slants and shorter passes where his ball skills aren't exploited as much.

I'm just curious what you saw that you think he was our best CB last year? I thought he was wildly incosistent (as he should be as a rookie), but I didn't think he was that great.

As far as McKelvin, I think he plays well in the slot. He's better with the shorter, shiftier guys than he is on the outside. Plus, since he's inside he'll guard slants and shorter passes where his ball skills aren't exploited as much.

Our pass rush was not good, but don't knock Dareus. Dareus played 2 different positions in a 3/4 DL. 3/4 D-linemen do not get a lot of sacks. Dareus had I believe 43 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Ndamakong Suh for example who everyone is saying is one of the best DT in the game had 36 tackles and 4 sacks. Granted Suh missed two games, Dareus's numbers were comparable and he was in a defense that doesn't allow DT and D-Ends the chance to make as many plays.

Our pass rush was not good, but don't knock Dareus. Dareus played 2 different positions in a 3/4 DL. 3/4 D-linemen do not get a lot of sacks. Dareus had I believe 43 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Ndamakong Suh for example who everyone is saying is one of the best DT in the game had 36 tackles and 4 sacks. Granted Suh missed two games, Dareus's numbers were comparable and he was in a defense that doesn't allow DT and D-Ends the chance to make as many plays.

You're misunderstanding him. He meant the d-line lacked a pass rush MINUS the play of Dareus. Dareus did more than fine last year, but he was the lone bright spot on that d-line.

We talking CBs or what?

I thought he was the best CB on the field even in the preseason. His size and speed combo is way above any other CB on this team. He got beat a couple of times I agree, but to me he was the best of the bunch.

And yes, Dareus was great last year...I don't feel like he gets all of the props he deserves. He was a man among boys on our d-line.

Edited by Estelle Getty

"LT-Hairston/Bell- One was a midround pick who played pretty damn good all season especially for a rookie who was supposed to play RT. The other allowed 1 sack in 7 games and could be brought back relatively cheap. Yet some people want to waste a 1st round pick on a position we actually have good depth. Moves like this are the reason why this team pisses in the wind year in and year out. Those who are calling for this need to rewatch every game to see the opposing QBs having enough time to make a ham sandwich in the pocket."

Our O-line was Ok. They looked better because Fitz gets rid of the ball quickly. Just about any other QB in there behind that O-line probably doubles sacks against. We need to draft for depth with the O-line. This was exposed last year although most of us new we needed depth. As far as having enough time to make a ham sandwhich, I don't think he had enough time to evn get the bread out. I do however like Bell (depending on his health) and i think Hairston will make a good RT. We do need more depth, because injuries have ther way with this team.

Edited by snamsnoops

Why is your name Estelle Getty, yet you have a picture of a seemingly random obese woman who is not Estelle Getty? Am I missing something? If your name was Estelle Getty and you had a picture of her from the Golden Girls, or Mannequin for that matter, it would make perfect sense, but I am at a loss.

Why is your name Estelle Getty, yet you have a picture of a seemingly random obese woman who is not Estelle Getty? Am I missing something? If your name was Estelle Getty and you had a picture of her from the Golden Girls, or Mannequin for that matter, it would make perfect sense, but I am at a loss.

I have a strange sense of humor.

"LT-Hairston/Bell- One was a midround pick who played pretty damn good all season especially for a rookie who was supposed to play RT. The other allowed 1 sack in 7 games and could be brought back relatively cheap. Yet some people want to waste a 1st round pick on a position we actually have good depth. Moves like this are the reason why this team pisses in the wind year in and year out. Those who are calling for this need to rewatch every game to see the opposing QBs having enough time to make a ham sandwich in the pocket."

Our O-line was Ok. They looked better because Fitz gets rid of the ball quickly. Just about any other QB in there behind that O-line probably doubles sacks against. We need to draft for depth with the O-line. This was exposed last year although most of us new we needed depth. As far as having enough time to make a ham sandwhich, I don't think he had enough time to evn get the bread out. I do however like Bell (depending on his health) and i think Hairston will make a good RT. We do need more depth, because injuries have ther way with this team.

Wasn't talking about Fitz.

Edited by Estelle Getty

Williams will be our best cornerback this season. As for whether he was last year, allow me to refer you to the late Heath Ledger:

"Where is Rachel?"

"What time is it?"

"What does that matter?"

"Well, depending on the time, she could be in one place or...several."

Early in the year McGee was our top corner. Williams looked lost those first few weeks. Then they seemed to move him down the depth chart and play him less, only for the rook to re-emerge later in the season as our top cover man.

If McGee stays healthy, he and Williams are not terrible as a starting tandem. To me, Florence gets the nickel assignment and Clueless McKelvin competes with Rogers. All-in-all the situation is less than dire.

I'm in full agreement with our strangely-humored friend that pass rush is top priority, and gets second billing as well. It's so clearly the team's biggest need. In Wanny's system, pass rush means ENDS. So we need to find an end or two as well as an OLB or two that can both hold up against the run AND cover.

Tall order for the front office. First thing's first: get a pair of pass rushing ends.

I don't think too many people are saying pass rushers are lesser needs than tackle or corner. I agree that the OL performed adequately for the most part. But corner is an issue. McGee shouldnt be counted on anymore, he's simply hurt too often. McKelvin is unreliable and lacks awareness. Williams is young and shouldn't be asked to shoulder the burden for the unit yet. Florence was exposed several times last season on big passes.

That said, DE is the no. 1 need on the defense and getting a decent one (or 2) will help the secondary a bit. But the crop is thin this year at that position (according to the "experts" at least) and I'd rather take a potential lock down corner than make a big reach and take some end just because of the need at DE.

I think the reason CBs are being ripped on is their ball awareness was inept last year. I agree, our pass rush (or lack thereof) is the main culprit in our cb's looking bad, but there were COUNTLESS times last season (more than I can ever remember) where the CB had good position to make a play on the ball, yet had no idea where the ball was and the WR ended up making the catch. Is that coaching? Maybe. Hard to believe an nfl DB coach wouldn't make that a priority. Overall, I think we have ok CBs. Nothing special, but they aren't the reason our defense sucked.

I also think our Tackles are ok. Like our CBs,they're ok, nothing special. Due to Chans scheme, they weren't the problem with our offense. Maybe in another scheme, their skill level may stand out as underwhelming. Considering our second half flop, this may be chans last chance as our HC. We may find out real soon if these guys are good, or a product of a system. Hard to say after one season.

Unless we don't re-sign Bell, we're really in a tough spot with the 10th pick because there is not going to be any player at a position of need who is worthy of the pick. If Bell doesn't come back then OT is the smart pick (we can address DE in the 2nd and 3rd). If we re-sign Bell, we can wait until later in the draft to add OT depth (perhaps with a 5th). As for CB, it's a good idea to add one (perhaps with one of our 4th round picks) because McGee can't be relied on and McKelvin may be gone next year if he doesn't turn it around. As such, we need to draft a CB to serve as their replacement and it will take time to develop one.