OT: Need some help from the wallers

zevo

need some advice guys. I dont know much about computers except how to use them. I am looking at purchasing a new notebook but i dont know where to begin. how practical are notebooks. I am a college/pharmacy student so i think this would be a pretty decent investment. I mostly use the computer for researching, surfing etc. i dont really download stuff or anything like that. So with all that said what brands should i be looking at and what kind of technology should be looking at? I know alot of you guys are computers wizzes so I hope i can get some advice. Only looking to spend at most 1500 dollars. Thanks!

Are we talking about three ring binders that are refillable, or the marble one?

I know my kids prefer the spiral bound ones, but the teachers don't like them since the papers get dog eared when you rip out a page, also they have a tendency to snag sweaters when the wire gets twisted.

I like the marble covered bound notebooks myself. They now come in more colors than the standard black and white, Jack has the link to Staples and I think you will be surprised, they should be considerably less than 1500 bucks

Actually, all of my PC purchases were done at Microcenter this year, they employ a good mix of geeks that also speak english for normal people. They were asking who is using it, what is the general and potential uses, what price range, then he started showing me the options (It was for my son who is going away to college) He was able to guide me to one that had great functionality with a Pentium 4 Hyper threaded processor, huge memory, free printer, He knew the SUNY system would probably employ a wireless network, so he made sure it was all set to plug and play with a wireless card, within 15 minutes I had the PC and he also was able to get me the rebates that will bring the total cost down to around 800 for the whole thing. This is the second year I've been to Microcenter, and I just love the place.

No offense to Udonkey, but I've had 3 Dell laptops over the last 5 years and all of them have been miserable.

180307[/snapback]

I've got a dell XPS right now and it rocks. I wish I could afford the vid card upgrade to the 9800 - I bought it when the 9700 was standard.

PM me - I work for Dell and can help you put something together considerably lower than your $1500 budget

180202[/snapback]

I thought $1500 was kinda high for what he wanted to do with it. I do like the Complete Care package Dell offers. We've had laptops get destroyed by airbags in the Sheriffs patrol cars that Dell replaced, no questions asked because of the care package.