Warde Manuel off to UConn

bills44

Yup.

I hope he's up to it.

The priorities in the next few years are likely going to be getting the academics back up to par, building a basketball practice facility on campus next to Gampel (where the old football field is), and probably finding a successor to Calhoun.

(Altho I fully expect JC to coach at least another year, and if they're tourney-ineligible in 2013 then two more years; no way will he go out on a note like this. He's too proud, too Irish.)

Anyway, Manuel's pedigree seems good. Anyone have anecdotes or anything to share?

Yup.

I hope he's up to it.

The priorities in the next few years are likely going to be getting the academics back up to par, building a basketball practice facility on campus next to Gampel (where the old football field is), and probably finding a successor to Calhoun.

(Altho I fully expect JC to coach at least another year, and if they're tourney-ineligible in 2013 then two more years; no way will he go out on a note like this. He's too proud, too Irish.)

Anyway, Manuel's pedigree seems good. Anyone have anecdotes or anything to share?

One reason Warde got the job is how he got academic performance up at UB among a student athletes. He also has a rep of being extremely accessible. Many athletes say his door was always open to them. I had the chance to talk with him before the last UB/UCONN game at Rentschler Field. Nice guy.

Of course he was the guy who hired a coaching unknown named Turner Gill who led UB to their first MAC title and first bowl game ever. But then replaced him with a coach who had great pedigree but has proven to be a joke. The problem with a school like UB is you can't eat your mistakes. We are stuck with Jeff Quinn for two more seasons. They can't afford to pay for two head coaches.

One of the last things Warde did was extend basketball coach Reg Witherspoon. Reg is a Buffalo guy and would likely stay at UB as long as they want him. While his teams have been frustrating in the past, the numbers show he's building a winner. (The most wins in a 4-year span in school history.) This year's team (16-6/9-2) looks like a serious contender for the MAC title and an NCAA berth.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

fyi about calhoun...my dad had surgery to fix his spinal stenosis a couple years ago and he cannot stop talking about how much better he feels...he was unable to golf for about 2 months after surgery, but now he can do whatever he wants and more importantly do it pain free...so this should not be a career ending injury for calhoun

Yup.

I hope he's up to it.

One reason Warde got the job is how he got academic performance up at UB among a student athletes. He also has a rep of being extremely accessible. Many athletes say his door was always open to them. I had the chance to talk with him before the last UB/UCONN game at Rentschler Field. Nice guy.

Of course he was the guy who hired a coaching unknown named Turner Gill who led UB to their first MAC title and first bowl game ever. But then replaced him with a coach who had great pedigree but has proven to be a joke. The problem with a school like UB is you can't eat your mistakes. We are stuck with Jeff Quinn for two more seasons. They can't afford to pay for two head coaches.

One of the last things Warde did was extend basketball coach Reg Witherspoon. Reg is a Buffalo guy and would likely stay at UB as long as they want him. While his teams have been frustrating in the past, the numbers show he's building a winner. (The most wins in a 4-year span in school history.) This year's team (16-6/9-2) looks like a serious contender for the MAC title and an NCAA berth.

PTR

That MAC tournament in a few weeks should be really interesting. UB/Akron/Ohio/Kent St all have a decent shot to win it. Problem with UB is they are deadly at home But have struggled on the road all year. If they get hot that weekend they could win it though.

That MAC tournament in a few weeks should be really interesting. UB/Akron/Ohio/Kent St all have a decent shot to win it. Problem with UB is they are deadly at home But have struggled on the road all year. If they get hot that weekend they could win it though.

Reg has gotten two of his teams to the MAC final. Fell short each time. But this year's team might be the ones to pull it off. Let's hope. FYI do you know that the top 2 seeds get a bye to the semis? That means only two wins and you're in. UB is #2 right now.

PTR

Reg has gotten two of his teams to the MAC final. Fell short each time. But this year's team might be the ones to pull it off. Let's hope. FYI do you know that the top 2 seeds get a bye to the semis? That means only two wins and you're in. UB is #2 right now.

PTR

Yeah top 2 teams in that conference go right to the semis which is huge. Another thing that is wierd they are averaging over 80 points per game at home & under 60 points per game away from Alumni Arena. I follow the MAC pretty close. Ohio & Akron are probably the 2 best teams in there but UB is not to far behind & like you said if they could grab one of the top 2 seeds that would be huge.

Good for him. However, why can't UB be the big time university guys are stepping up too? We aren't the top professional city but we certainly are big time enough to have a powerhouse university. There is no reason UB can't be a big time school. How great would a UB-Cuse rivarly be?

Good for him. However, why can't UB be the big time university guys are stepping up too? We aren't the top professional city but we certainly are big time enough to have a powerhouse university. There is no reason UB can't be a big time school. How great would a UB-Cuse rivarly be?

There's a BIG reason. It's called SUNY. The State University of New York system does not believe in athletics. Everything UB accomplishes they do in spite of SUNY.

PTR

There's a BIG reason. It's called SUNY. The State University of New York system does not believe in athletics. Everything UB accomplishes they do in spite of SUNY.

PTR

If UB had their house in order particularly their football program they would of been a prime canidate to get an invite to the Big East. But.....there football team is a joke, they don't draw in that stadium they play in, hence they got passed up once again.

If UB had their house in order particularly their football program they would of been a prime canidate to get an invite to the Big East. But.....there football team is a joke, they don't draw in that stadium they play in, hence they got passed up once again.

The Big East never gave UB a thought. They have 1/3 the athletic budget of other BE schools, and yes the crowds for football and basketball are lacking. The BE was too busy chasing eastern powerhouses like Boise State.

PTR

The Big East never gave UB a thought. They have 1/3 the athletic budget of other BE schools, and yes the crowds for football and basketball are lacking. The BE was too busy chasing eastern powerhouses like Boise State.

PTR

I am quite aware that they never gave UB a thought & that is exactly my point. When Manuel came on as AD one of his earlier press conferences he mistakenly slipped up & said one day he wants to see UB in the Big East. That offended alot of MAC people at the time. My point is UB never was committed to financially make this dream come true. If they had maybe they would of been chosen over Central Florida & Memphis.

I am quite aware that they never gave UB a thought & that is exactly my point. When Manuel came on as AD one of his earlier press conferences he mistakenly slipped up & said one day he wants to see UB in the Big East. That offended alot of MAC people at the time. My point is UB never was committed to financially make this dream come true. If they had maybe they would of been chosen over Central Florida & Memphis.

No doubt.

And I mean... no doubt.