Obama and the SuperPacs

Magox

President Barack Obama — in an act of hypocrisy or necessity, depending on the beholder — has reversed course and is now blessing the efforts of a sputtering super PAC, Priorities USA Action, organized to fight GOP dark-money attacks.

On Monday morning, Obama reviled the “negative” tone of the super PACs, a dominant fundraising source in the wake of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision. But by the evening, word leaked to POLITICO that Obama had offered his support for Priorities USA Action, which thus far has raised a fraction of what GOP-backed groups have raked in.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72531.html#ixzz1li8pI9nT

ROBERT REICH: Obama Has Handed The Election Over To The Super Rich

How many billionaires does it take to buy a presidential election?

With so much at stake” wrote Obama campaign manager Jim Messina on the Obama campaign’s blog, Obama couldn’t “unilaterally disarm.”

But would refusing to be corrupted this way really amount to unilateral disarmament? To the contrary, I think it would have given the President a rallying cry that nearly all Americans would get behind: “More of the nation’s wealth and political power is now in the hands of fewer people and large corporations than since the era of the robber barons of the Gilded Age. I will not allow our democracy to be corrupted by this! I will fight to take back our government!”

Small donations would have flooded the Obama campaign, overwhelming Romney’s billionaire super PACs. The people would have been given a chance to be heard.

The sad truth is Obama has never really occupied the high ground. He refused public financing in 2008. Once president, he didn’t go to bat for a system of public financing that would have made it possible for candidates to raise enough money from small donors and matching public funds they wouldn’t need to rely on a few billionaires pumping unlimited sums into super PACS. He hasn’t even fought for public disclosure of super PAC donations.

And now he’s made a total mockery of the Court’s naïve belief that super PACs would remain separate from individual campaigns, by officially endorsing his own super PAC, and allowing campaign manager Jim Messina and even cabinet officers to speak at his super PAC events. Obama will not appear but he, Michelle Obama, and Vice President Joe Biden will encourage support of the super PAC.

One Obama adviser says Obama’s decision to endorse his super PAC has had an immediate effect. “Our donors get it,” the official said, adding that they now want to “go fight the other side.”

Exactly. So now a relative handful of super-rich Democrats want fight a relative handful of super-rich Republicans. And we call that a democracy.

Business Insider

This is really a double hypocrisy, since this is the ruling that Mr. Obama publicly scolded the Supreme Court at the previous State of the Union Address.

Now he joins right in.

Obama Campaign Chief Seeks to Assure Wall Street

QBy Hans Nichols - Feb 8, 2012

Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) — Jim Messina, President Barack Obama’s campaign manager, assured a group of Democratic donors from the financial services industry that Obama won’t demonize Wall Street as he stresses populist appeals in his re-election campaign, according to two people at the meeting.

At the members-only Core Club in Manhattan, Messina provided a campaign briefing last night for some of the president’s top donors, including Ralph Schlosstein, chief executive officer at Evercore Partners Inc., and his wife, Jane Hartley, co-founder of the economic and political advisory firm Observatory Group LLC; Eric Mindich, founder of Eton Park Capital Management LP; and Ron Blaylock, co-founder of GenNx360 Capital Partners.

Bloomberg

Check this video out.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/02/08/obama_in_2007_you_cant_be_against_outside_groups_and_then_for_them.html

In a 2007 campaign stop in Iowa then-Senator Obama railed against outside groups and their influence in an election. In this clip he talks about John Edwards and a group supporting him that is "getting around campaign finance laws."

"You can't say yesterday you don't believe in them and today you have three-quarters of a million dollars being spent for you," Obama said.

"You can't just talk the talk," Obama told an audience during the campaign event. "The easiest thing in the world is to talk about change during election time. Everybody talks about change at election time. You've got to look at how do they act when it's not convenient, when it's harder."

Thats true Tom.............................Laws and rules are for “The little people”,

besides WE WON!

I just hope he runs on the "Hope and Change" message again. Because as a re-election message, that'd be a hoot.

"You can't just talk the talk," Obama told an audience during the campaign event. "The easiest thing in the world is to talk about change during election time. Everybody talks about change at election time. You've got to look at how do they act when it's not convenient, when it's harder."

That's more ironic than DIN calling me an idiot.

I just hope he runs on the "Hope and Change" message again. Because as a re-election message, that'd be a hoot.

That's more ironic than DIN calling me an idiot.

I'm sure Old (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#over at Meet the press won't show this clip this weekend while interviewing one of the whitehouse's mouthpieces <_<