Mularkey's son arrested for crack

It's truly sad when any person succumbs to any addiction....but one that is destructive and illegal is far worse...and yes, some addictions are legal, i.e. gambling...but, regardless of my opinion of Mularkey as a coach, as a father I can only imagine what he must be going through and this difficult time for him and the rest of his family....hope the kid gets the help he needs and turns his life around...

I'm with you on this one. Nothing funny about a kid taking a wrong turn in life.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you point to anyone who has said you know when my life really turned around? When I started doing coke.

Don't discount this drug. It is very dangerous and has ruined many lives. To me cocaine is THE gateway drug. When people cross from marijuana to cocaine it becomes much less of a leap to crack or worse. I also feel since marijuana is so demonized when people try it and find out its not terrible they feel that the info on cocaine probably is wrong too.

I do not mean to attack you personally but I do know people who have lost jobs, families, etc. to cocaine use which usually led to use of harder drugs. The real kicker is that is out of your system so fast (2 days) that many people have this as their drug of choice if they get drug tested at work.

No offense taken, I just see it a little differently. I've never subscribed to the Gateway theory all that much. It's not that I don't agree that people incrementally escalate, but I have trouble demonizing an activity because a minority of people doing it will use it as a springboard to something more destructive.

As to the life turn around, I've never heard anyone say their life turned around when they got Madden either, but...

No offense taken, I just see it a little differently. I've never subscribed to the Gateway theory all that much. It's not that I don't agree that people incrementally escalate, but I have trouble demonizing an activity because a minority of people doing it will use it as a springboard to something more destructive.

As to the life turn around, I've never heard anyone say their life turned around when they got Madden either, but...

I struggle with the gateway theory myself but do tend to believe it just not the way its pushed. I don't think just because you smoke weed you will do coke then crack. I do think people that are predisposed to these activities find their "comfort" level of how far they pursue drugs, and that can be pushed because "well I tried x and it wasn't as bad as everyone said - I wonder how y is". Drugs and drug use is a tricky touchy subject. I think it is clear the "war on drugs" is a failure but I also feel legalize everything is ridiculous.

As for the Madden comment - if it was a joke :thumbsup: I laughed pretty good. If you were serious well... nevermind I'll just hope you were joking haha