Lee Evans taking the blame for the loss

Webster Guy

If the call on the field is incomplete, then it is not a scoring play. It has been called like that all season. I think it was a easy one for the guys upstairs to look at quickly and say no catch. Next play.

Yeah, I know, I know, I know...that has been said about 20 times. My point was, they change the replay rules inside 2 minutes, so, one would assume, there is no controversy about a game endig play, and coaches can't delay the games end for some sort of advantage. They are saying it wasn't reviewed, becasue it was incomplete. My point is, that is kind of silly, since, if the ruling on the field were reversed (the whole point of reviewing a play!!!) the result would have been a touchdown, which is a SCORING play! Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. If this were a pass that would have resulted in a first down, or a gain of yards between the end zones, your logic would apply...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know, I know, I know...that has been said about 20 times. My point was, they change the replay rules inside 2 minutes, so, one would assume, there is no controversy about a game endig play, and coaches can't delay the games end for some sort of advantage. They are saying it wasn't reviewed, becasue it was incomplete. My point is, that is kind of silly, since, if the ruling on the field were reversed (the whole point of reviewing a play!!!) the result would have been a touchdown, which is a SCORING play! Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. If this were a pass that would have resulted in a first down, or a gain of yards between the end zones, your logic would apply...

My logic does apply as it wasn't a scoring play. That is the rule. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend?

What's to review if it was incomplete? They guys upstairs looked at it (which they do every play with under 2:00 to go) and found no reason to buzz down to the on field officials. So yes there was no "official on field review", but that doesn't mean it wasn't looked at.

First thing Lee should have did everything to squeeze the rock. He should have caught it. Good play by the DB but it didnt seem like it was raked out to hard.

But the loss is not all on Lee even though he had an opportunity of a lifetime to end the game.

As some people have said why didn't the Ravens call a time out before the kick??. It did seem like it was rushed. That one was on Harbaugh. no reason to rush that kick when you had a timeout in your pocket. Heck, I was calling for a timeout like it was a Bills game lol.

Who knows what would have happened in OT but the Ravens let a great chance to get to the super bowl slip away because Brady did not have his best game.

Maybe they didn't review it BECAUSE it was so close. That call could have gone ether way and the reviewer didn't feel there was enough evidence it was possible to overturn the play as called on the field.

Review what?? It was not a freaking catch. Lee Evans said it was not a catch. He has made a living catching footballs. If it was questionable he should have been the first one to say so.

You don't get any points for almost securing a go ahead touchdown with a few seconds left.

You have to grab that thing like its the last parachute on a crashing plane not like your doing warm up drills for the intramural flag league.

It was not a scoring play. There is no "almost scored" category

Thats just it...It was a scoring play. It was a controversial play that could or could not end up in a score as it occured in the end zone. It should ALWAYS be reviewed just like all other scoring plays that are actually ruled a score on the field are reviewed under 2 minutes.

It makes exactly zero sense to only review plays ruled a score and not review plays that might be a score but were not ruled a score on the field. Basically, thats saying we are going to try and prove the ref made a mistake by giving you a TD, but we will not try and prove the ref made a mistake and did not give you a TD. This is the worst rule in the NFL to only review it one way and not the other.

I am not convinced it would have been overturned, but I am convinced it was close enough to review and to not review the most important play of the game for both teams is atrocious. Especially since they review plays where the TD is 100% clear as day with no chance of over turning it just because it was a scoring play which is a waste of time.

Outside of that though, this loss is on the coaching staff of the Ravens as much as it is on the kicker (who could also call a timeout) when they chose to rush the critical kick rather than use their timeout.

Wow - how stupid is that! I was just listening to Kornheiser's show from today and one of his sidekicks joked that Cundiff suddenly realized that he was on the kicking team...Harbaugh has to call a time out there!

even without the TO, why not take the 5 yard penalty- it's still a chipshot

My logic does apply as it wasn't a scoring play. That is the rule. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend?

What's to review if it was incomplete? They guys upstairs looked at it (which they do every play with under 2:00 to go) and found no reason to buzz down to the on field officials. So yes there was no "official on field review", but that doesn't mean it wasn't looked at.

I have zero faith in the NFL replay officials and I'm surprised anyone would give them the benefit of the doubt. There's been numerous non-reviewed plays since the inception of this latest replay policy.

On first down on that final set of downs which culminated in the missed field goal, Anquan Boldin caught a pass lunged forward and fumbled the ball out of bounds. But even prior to losing the ball it appeared that he had made it to the first down marker. The ball was spotted virtually a full yard short of where it should have been.

The play was not reviewed and that non action by the replay official(s) affected the remainder of the game in a way that wasn't helpful to the Ravens.

I don't always know how to fix everything but I know when something is broken and it's clear to me that the NFL's replay policy is nowhere as effective as it ought to be.

As for the Evans play, I don't really give a damn if a correct determination was ultimately (luckily?) made. If the damn play is close as many people testify it to be, it has to be reviewed… just to make damn sure for the sake of erring on the side of being correct as well as for fan confidence.