Negotiating With Free Agents

HuSeYiN1978

The Buffalo Bills are in a pretty interesting situation as far as signing free agents this year... Stevie IMO is a no brainer as far as getting him signed... If he wants top ten money he should get it for the stats and effort he's put in. You can't let a productive player like him leave the team but now with Roscoe I have an interesting proposal for. He clearly said he wants to be in Buffalo and I'm at a position where I love the guy as a player and his skills but he keeps getting injured. Any team can use a guy like Roscoe but being that we're used to not having him a full season anyway, it wouldn't hurt us to lose him.

Here comes my negotiating strategy for those guys that you would like to re-sign but aren't afraid to lose to free agency and also that say that they want to be back with the team:

If I'm Buddy this is what I tell Roscoe. "Roscoe look, we love you. We want you back, but you haven't given us a full season yet. I don't wanna give you a price and maybe disrespect you on what you believe you're worth so this is what I'm gonna do. Since you said you want to be back and we said publicly that we want you back, I want you to hit the market and go interview with other teams and whatever is the highest bid on you, I promise you we'll match that and pay you what they offered. Deal?"

That way if he signs with another team Buddy can publicly tell the media the offer that was made and that the player felt like he really didn't want to be a Bill which would end speculation on why players leave teams. If it's for money or that they just don't want to be a part of the organization. What do you guys think?

Why match the highest offer if you don't think it's a good price? And why bend over backwards for this guy? He's played 1/2 a season in the past 2 years. Low ball him--if he doesn't take it, let him go. He's not a loss at this point.

The reason why I would offer him the highest bid is because other teams know exactly what we know. That he can't stay injury free so I doubt any team would offer him crazy money... Roscoe coming back to the team even just as a punt returner/slot route WR is better than not having him...

The reason why I would offer him the highest bid is because other teams know exactly what we know. That he can't stay injury free so I doubt any team would offer him crazy money... Roscoe coming back to the team even just as a punt returner/slot route WR is better than not having him...

Roscoe lost interest in punt returns a while ago. We have Spiller who can return punts. Roscoe was easily replaced this year. We haven't won a game with Parrish in the lineup in 2 years.

Teams overspend all the time on players. There very well could be a team that would.

I think having him is better than not having him but we can go back and forth on this all day I guess...

Unfortunately for Roscoe and your arguement you are way off. Having him does nothing for our team because he's played about 1/2 of a season after 3 seasons. Even when he's on the field he's not that good.

Honestly, i'd rather let him walk because we know what we have in him (IMO nothing special) but we are unknown what we might have in an udfa/late rounder (Stevie, Fitz, Nelson) Heck, throw someone like Antonio Gatea or Tony Romo into the mix and it makes it worth a shot on anyone over a guy that has played about 10 games out of 32.

Unfortunately for Roscoe and your arguement you are way off. Having him does nothing for our team because he's played about 1/2 of a season after 3 seasons. Even when he's on the field he's not that good.

Honestly, i'd rather let him walk because we know what we have in him (IMO nothing special) but we are unknown what we might have in an udfa/late rounder (Stevie, Fitz, Nelson) Heck, throw someone like Antonio Gatea or Tony Romo into the mix and it makes it worth a shot on anyone over a guy that has played about 10 games out of 32.

I understand what you guys are saying but my opinion on Roscoe also goes like this... At least if Buddy tells him look, we want you back and still gives him an opportunity to hit the market and Roscoe sees that noone is really offering much? Then having Roscoe even as just a punt returner is better than having say a Sam young on the roster juss taking up room... IDK... Maybe you guys are right and I'm just hoping the best for Roscoe cuz I like him and what he's done for us in the past... That's the way it is I guess...

You act like the signing of Roscoe means something to FA and the NFL in general. He isn't a star player. He is a often injured player. Buddy already told the media and the NFL world that he would be cautious in signing Roscoe due to his injury history. If the Bills don't offer him a contract people will assume and it is probaby the case that they didn't want to give money to a injury prone player.

You act like the signing of Roscoe means something to FA and the NFL in general. He isn't a star player. He is a often injured player. Buddy already told the media and the NFL world that he would be cautious in signing Roscoe due to his injury history. If the Bills don't offer him a contract people will assume and it is probaby the case that they didn't want to give money to a injury prone player.

Dude, personally I don't care if he stays or if he goes... I like the wide receiving core we have except for having someone being able to stretch the field opposite Stevie... My thoughts on Roscoe is that I like him and I want him to be a part of the Bills but if it doesn't happen then it's ok. The topic is not about Roscoe... It's about negotiating with free agents that you'd like to have but wouldn't mind losing understand? It's a negotiating strategy idea I came up with and was thinking if GM's would actually go and tell a player what I initially posted...

The only other UFA that I want on this team is Scott Chandler. He has been productive @ the TE spot and will only get better as Fitz will learn to go to him even in the middle of the field rather than only the end zone. I hope the Bills make a good play for him.

The only other UFA that I want on this team is Scott Chandler. He has been productive @ the TE spot and will only get better as Fitz will learn to go to him even in the middle of the field rather than only the end zone. I hope the Bills make a good play for him.

I agree Ganesh.

However we seem to be in a distinct minority.

It seems like most people here view him as a middling tight end

I think Chandler's definitely above average and probably as good as Kevin Boss, who many people here coveted as a free agent last year.

A lot of people will say that I'm crazy. But Chandler was a 4th rounder and Boss was a 5th rounder.

On top of that, Chandler outplayed Boss this year.

But because we got Chandler while "dumpster diving," many people here have made up their minds for posterity that he's a mediocre player.

I love roscoe as a return man and he is gaileys' water bug and would draw coverage .. take that highest offer and prove you can stay healthy by tying your contract directly to your weakness, games played. If he plays less than 12 regular season games or is on ir he plays for his current contract etc.. We are dreaming if his agent goes for it though.. maybe we will be lucky and the rest of the league will feel as we do. Johnson, FA/ jeffrey/blackmon/2nd or 3rd round 6ft 2 in burner, easley, parrish, nelson, jones and smith with aiken and whoever else on PS sounds awfully deep to me. I hope he signs.

sanchez proves continuity and familiarity is very important to a qb, yes i think sanchez has been figured out and blows too... maybe a bad example but you see my point, they would have been better off with keeping what they had and adding someone who wasn't a selfish d$%^e.. The perils of FA.

my wishful thinking goes even further.. sign chandler since he is their find and a jerry jones burn and draft a eifert or someone similar with the evans pick or our third... yes my reality has left me.. but looking at the glaring holes in these playoff teams if we keep our core add a wr and te, lt? and 2 old and a de. that are the illegitimate kids off bruce smith and lawrence taylor.. we could easily compete in the league of parity and watered down depth and talent... hurray for 15 mil in cap room to spend after fred, steve, lindell and chandler sign for ... well..