Bills draft

After watching last night's game, I'm having a hard time deciding who would be the better LB for us....Upshaw or Hightower. Upshaw is strong and has good instincts. He is a very good linebacker, but looked a little bit slow at times. He doesn't have the quickest first step, which leads me to suspect that he might have trouble making the transition to 4-3 DE.

Hightower, however, always seems like he has been shot out of a cannon. He plays with a level of intensity that is remarkable and fun to watch. He seems to be faster than Upshaw, is always around the ball, and is a GREAT tackler. I could definitely see him being a more versatile player for us, being able to play inside or outside in the 4-3. I also think he could potentially play outside in the 3-4.

What wonderful options to have....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to guess what you didnt see upshaw play last night.

He's going to be great

I like Upshaw, but I think the Bills are switching back to a 4-3. Upshaw is a 3-4 OLB.

I agree with you. While the biggest need is OT and there are two or even three franchise class OT's in this class, a true blue chip OLB would be a great choice as well. Left tackle has been a gaping and crippling hole since Peters left, so it has to be the number one or number two pick, IMHOP. I would have said number one PERIOD, but I had to leave room for a truly franchise non OT player who might drop to our pick.

The Bills allowed very few sacks and Jackson and Spiller averaged 5 yards a carry. Why is OT so important?? The Bills pass rush had only 26 sacks, ten in one game, thats what is important. You want to fix something thats not broke.

The Bills allowed very few sacks and Jackson and Spiller averaged 5 yards a carry. Why is OT so important?? The Bills pass rush had only 26 sacks, ten in one game, thats what is important. You want to fix something thats not broke.

The theory is:

We didn't allow sacks because we made so many quick throws. Then defenses came up to bump us at the line. A good left tackle might buy us more time in the pocket to make the downfield throws.

The theory is:

We didn't allow sacks because we made so many quick throws. Then defenses came up to bump us at the line. A good left tackle might buy us more time in the pocket to make the downfield throws.

Quick throws work. The offense isn't the problem on this team, the pass rush is.

I've been playing with the draft-tek stuff based on what Nix said

Free Agency- Robert Meachem WR, Martellus Bennett TE, Jeremy Mincey DE

Bills trade 2nd and 3rd to move for Detroit's 1st (26 overall), extra 4th from Baltimore (Lee Evans), extra 5th from Seattle (Lynch). I put grabs in for Ingram and Osweiler, I also changed defensive priorities to reflect playing more 4-3.

1a. Quinton Coples DE

1b. Melvin Ingram DE

4a. Brandon Mosley OT

4b. Tank Carder OLB

5a. Brock Osweiler QB

5b. Demario Davis OLB

6. Trumaine Johnson CB

7. Robert Blanton CB

This this this!

The Cream Dream would be getting Upshaw in the 1st and Hightower in the 2nd, but I think we may have to trade back into the 1st to get Hightower (which I would be happy doing).

The only thing Im afraid of now, is that Upshaw ends up as our next Patrick Willis and gets picked in the spot right before us... :unsure:

I tried to make your Cream Dream Draft happen, trading our RD3 this year and RD2 next year with Cleveland at #25, but Hightower got picked #18 by San Diego.

1. Quinton Coples DE, North Carolina. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

2. Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey coached him in college.

3. Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina. Good value at spot and can never have enough corners.

4. Jake Bequette DE, Arkanas. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

4b. Tom Compton OT, South Dakota. Nix said he would draft an OT.

5. Cobi Hamilton WR, Arkanas. Depth at WR.

Nix likes players from the south, ACC and SEC.

Couples ya i could maybe see that but is Hill worth a second ?? I would think after what i saw in the national Championship game if we took any of the guys on there D it would be worth it .

If Hightower or Upshaw were there at one of our picks i think that would be a good move & then they have one of the highest CB's in the draft to don't they ? I think any player from that D is a can't miss !!! Role Tide :angry: !!

Trade the top 3 picks this year and top 2 next year to the Rams for rights to second pick......draft RG3......win a couple SB's despite not having the best team in those years.....increase value of franchise.......get a new stadium in WNY in ten years......nobody remembers who the Rams took with all those precious picks.

Trade the top 3 picks this year and top 2 next year to the Rams for rights to second pick......draft RG3......win a couple SB's despite not having the best team in those years.....increase value of franchise.......get a new stadium in WNY in ten years......nobody remembers who the Rams took with all those precious picks.

Do you honestly believe that there is even the slightest remote possibility that what you just stated would ever actually happen?

Do you honestly believe that there is even the slightest remote possibility that what you just stated would ever actually happen?

Had Peyton Manning declared for the NFL draft as a junior.....as expected....he would have been a NY Jet.

The Colts likely wouldn't even be in Indianapolis now if that happened.

Instead, they dominated the regular season in the AFC for a decade, played in SB's, won a SB and got a new stadium.

That's still how it works for a small market.

Except of course, for the fact that small market teams are going to be expected to pull a little more weight going forward.

So the rest of you can keep planning on filling holes so the team can squeek into a wildcard game in the next couple years. Maybe Fitz can have a great wildcard game like Kelly Holcomb did for Cleveland that ONE time.

RG3 will be a big fat bust in the NFL, he's a suckers pick.

If the Bills use the draft to fill their top needs this off-season, it's going to be another absence from the post-season. They've had 2 off-seasons to rebuild and banking on rookies is a recipe for failure, especially now that they're most likely going with a new base defense.

The GM admitted they need another WR, OT, LB, corners, and 2 DE's. Needing that many pieces after those two off-seasons indicates they didn't accomplish as much as they'd like.

RG3 will be a big fat bust in the NFL, he's a suckers pick.

Let me answer that this way: I'm not a hater.....I'm just right A LOT

But don't worry, making a move for RG3 is the kind of thing a team with a new owner with foresight taking over for a BAD owner without it makes.

The Bills will keep status quo and you guys can look forward to the next wave of Torrel Troups and Alex Carringtons.

I have been following the draft closely for twenty years and the only thing that changes is that the QB position gets more important.

If the Bills use the draft to fill their top needs this off-season, it's going to be another absence from the post-season. They've had 2 off-seasons to rebuild and banking on rookies is a recipe for failure, especially now that they're most likely going with a new base defense.

The GM admitted they need another WR, OT, LB, corners, and 2 DE's. Needing that many pieces after those two off-seasons indicates they didn't accomplish as much as they'd like.

Well, they were so passive in free agency that they actually ended up losing more in FA than they gained.........despite boatloads of cap space........and now they might go back to a 4-3 and void some of their decent moves like Edwards, Heard and last years third round pick Kelvin Shepard. I don't buy a move BACK to the 4-3. Why? To accomodate Kelsay and a DT who spent the year on IR with a foot problem that might linger?

I was under the impression that he puts his hand a ground quite often. A little more weight and he could be a 4-3 DE. I just liked his instinct and even more importantly his size. Thats a pretty big guy to get straight out of college. I mean, he can't be worse than Kelsay :nana:

He puts his hand on the ground most a lot. I don't think he can get much bigger and I don't think he has to to play DE.

Well, they were so passive in free agency that they actually ended up losing more in FA than they gained.........despite boatloads of cap space........and now they might go back to a 4-3 and void some of their decent moves like Edwards, Heard and last years third round pick Kelvin Shepard. I don't buy a move BACK to the 4-3. Why? To accomodate Kelsay and a DT who spent the year on IR with a foot problem that might linger?

The move to a 40 front has to be the result of tabbing Wannstedt DC and no one having the stones to tell Gailey that they've charted a course already. You have to wonder if Buddy's running anything but the scouts, because the scheme they draft for is dictated by the HC and new DC.

If someone wants proof that this franchise is a sinking ship, look no further than the way they've handled defense this past decade. Average 34 in 2000, replaced by 43 with Gregg's hiring. Then go to a Tampa 2 when DJ takes over, followed by a move to a 34 with Nix/Gailey/Whaley in 2010. Now back to a 43. Four changes in 12 years if the latest happens, and needing 2 DE's seems to indicate that. Meanwhile, the Steelers have run a 34 for years and seem to do well stocking it.

I think you guys are WAY too hung up on the 4-3 vs 3-4 thing.

The defense has sucked because they haven't had enough good players.

When they get a critical mass of good players and better coaching, the defense will be good.

What scheme they play and whether or not they switch it (even more than once) is much ado about nothing.

It's a red herring, IMO.

1. Quinton Coples DE, North Carolina. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

2. Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey coached him in college.

3. Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina. Good value at spot and can never have enough corners.

4. Jake Bequette DE, Arkanas. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

4b. Tom Compton OT, South Dakota. Nix said he would draft an OT.

5. Cobi Hamilton WR, Arkanas. Depth at WR.

Nix likes players from the south, ACC and SEC.

Where is the conditional pick earned from that beast mode trade?

Where is the conditional pick earned from that beast mode trade?