Santonio Holmes

First post on TBD, and probably one that won't be well liked, but it looks like Holmes won't be back with the Jets next year. Simple question, would you trade our 7th round pick for him? I'm reminded of the head case Randy Moss was, but the Patriots got him for a 7th and the following year him and brady broke record after record. Is he a head case, yes, but Moss (at least for that year) produced great numbers and wasn't a locker room disturbance. I hope we re-sign Stevie, but if we don't, we need someone. If we draft a stud WR, then forget it, but I'd like to have a guy that wants to stick it to his old team twice a year. Just an idea...give me your thoughts...

First post on TBD, and probably one that won't be well liked, but it looks like Holmes won't be back with the Jets next year. Simple question, would you trade our 7th round pick for him? I'm reminded of the head case Randy Moss was, but the Patriots got him for a 7th and the following year him and brady broke record after record. Is he a head case, yes, but Moss (at least for that year) produced great numbers and wasn't a locker room disturbance. I hope we re-sign Stevie, but if we don't, we need someone. If we draft a stud WR, then forget it, but I'd like to have a guy that wants to stick it to his old team twice a year. Just an idea...give me your thoughts...

It was a fifth round pick for Moss. No, Holmes to the Bills is a bad idea. I'd like to see Vincent Jackson come to Buffalo, but with Boss Hogg stating the Bills will not go after high priced FA's, I think that's more of a pipe dream.

I'd be fine with Holmes, I think he'd get a kick out of Chan's offense. It'd be even better if he was here and SJ stayed as well. Now that's all from a football point of view. I have no idea how that'd all work in the lockeroom. SJ with his illtimed celebrations, Holmes seems selfish as well, Fitz's leadership abilities seem to have waned. Who knows.

No. He quit on his team in a very crucial game. Excellent WR no doubt but I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

It was a fifth round pick for Moss. No, Holmes to the Bills is a bad idea. I'd like to see Vincent Jackson come to Buffalo, but with Boss Hogg stating the Bills will not go after high priced FA's, I think that's more of a pipe dream.

Curious, JJ. Why is it a bad idea?

In this hypothetical, it's a 7th rounder. That's pretty cheap for a Super Bowl MVP who is extremely talented.

In fact as desperate as the Jets are in this situation, I'm not sure a 7th would get it done.

No. He quit on his team in a very crucial game. Excellent WR no doubt but I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, plenty of NFLers have resurrected their careers after being publicly chastised and denigrated.

Who's to say that Holmes won't be brought to his senses a bit from all of this public flogging?

Also, I like what the new guy says about Holmes sticking it to his former team twice a year.

Curious, JJ. Why is it a bad idea?

In this hypothetical, it's a 7th rounder. That's pretty cheap for a Super Bowl MVP who is extremely talented.

In fact as desperate as the Jets are in this situation, I'm not sure a 7th would get it done.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, plenty of NFLers have resurrected their careers after being publicly chastised and denigrated.

Who's to say that Holmes won't be brought to his senses a bit from all of this public flogging?

Also, I like what the new guy says about Holmes sticking it to his former team twice a year.

Well, it only took a late 5 for the jets to get him and I dont think he's helped his stock. He's also had multiple drug offenses and was run out of pittsburgh.

Sounds like a bad idea.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, it only took a 6 for the jets to get him and I dont think he's helped his stock. He's also had multiple drug offenses and was run out of pittsburgh.

Sounds like a bad idea.

Hmmm… didn't know about the drug problems.

What if they sent us a 7th to take him off their hands?

Where are you getting your information that Holmes won't be back with the Jets?? According to the NYC papers, Holmes isn't going anywhere. He has a huge guaranteed contract that no team -- especially the Bills -- is going to take on even if it doesn't cost them any draft picks.

Hmmm… didn't know about the drug problems.

What if they sent us a 7th to take him off their hands?

Yea he was so cheap due to his suspension the year he arrived. Missed the first 4 and will be a year if it happens again. And I messed up the round, but ultimately only a few picks. He was a 5 - oops.

Where are you getting your information that Holmes won't be back with the Jets?? According to the NYC papers, Holmes isn't going anywhere. He has a huge guaranteed contract that no team -- especially the Bills -- is going to take on even if it doesn't cost them any draft picks.

+1

Everything i have heard indiates that it would be nearly impossible for the Jets to move Holmes in the first 3 years of his deal, due to cap issues. He's just finishing up year 1.

for size, hands, and general fit into an offense, seems like Stevie and Holmes are similar.

So (1) I dont really want/need both at the same time, and (2) the devil I know is better than the devil I dont.

yes, holmes is faster and has more highlight reel catches, and he is super aggressive in going for the ball when its in the air. Yes, stevie is younger and really seems to embrace the small market, lets-build-something-together mentality.

I'll take Stevie. Let somebody like the Jaguars, who are always desperate for wrs, bring Holmes in so he can ruin Gabbert.

+1

Everything i have heard indiates that it would be nearly impossible for the Jets to move Holmes in the first 3 years of his deal, due to cap issues. He's just finishing up year 1.

Exactly. FAs like Burress and LT are gone, but from what I've read the contracts dictate that most of the core of the team will be back. They're just going to try to all get along next year. :lol:

I can't wait to see the fan base turn on Rex when it all goes south.

I'm almost Always on the side of acquiring the troubled player whose in good health, because you can usually get a deal on them and limit your downside. But not this time. Dudes a head case, he's had multiple chances to grow up and repeatedly blown them. Now that jets have made him a rich man I see his faults only getting worse.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

A leader (aka team captain) would not think about pulling himself out of a game. Imagine what he would have done in our last debacle. I'd have to say no thank you.