43 defense and a possible 1st rd. pick

Hay TURBOSRRGOOD; check out Scout.com. Look for an article titled "Linebackers On Speed". It's a story about last spring training and conditioning drills at North Carolina and the buzz about Zack Brown. Seems he ran a 4.28 forty. Coaches checked their stop watches and thought, must be a mistake. They had Brown run the forty again. This time it was a 4.26. BTW, he benches 380.

Still not interested?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'man man. Ever hear of the blitz? Some very good teams do it all the time sometimes using safeties.

I agree, it would be great to get a rushing DE. But name one that is worthy of a top half of the first round pick. Some say Couples. But I've read that NC converted him from DT to DE this year and he did not do as well with the move.

This is my vision. Williams and Darius at DT with Shep at MLB. Shep is a thumper. He and the tackles make us strong in the middle. Additionally, both Williams and Darious can rush the passer, something that would rattle Brady since he likes to step up into the pocket (another reason I think we're going 43).

At OLB, we have Barnett and Zack Brown. That combo gives us strength in the middle and speed on the outside. Doesn't that intrigue you just a little bit? :rolleyes:

Uhh, yeah, I've heard of the blitz. That doesn't change the fact that the Bills need a good pass rusher. You are saying we don't need good players if we just blitz all the time? Hate to break it to you, but that just won't work. Opposing coaches and QB's are just too smart for that. Blitzing can help, but it's not a cure all...

I do watch a lot of college football, but this year I am not all that brushed up on top DE prospects. So to your point there may not be one worth taking with the Bills 1st pick, regardless it's a spot we need to fill if we are going to run an effective 4-3 base.

Hay TURBOSRRGOOD; check out Scout.com. Look for an article titled "Linebackers On Speed". It's a story about last spring training and conditioning drills at North Carolina and the buzz about Zack Brown. Seems he ran a 4.28 forty. Coaches checked their stop watches and thought, must be a mistake. They had Brown run the forty again. This time it was a 4.26. BTW, he benches 380.

Still not interested?

Hey Cheddar..When replying to a post, try using the reply button, since you are talking to the wrong guy. Or at the very least, read carefully. I didn't post anything saying I wasn't interested in brown.

Brown is interesting and seems decent for a 4-3 defense, but 230 is sounding a bit smallish for a high 1st round pick. Unfortunately combine numbers are far from a guarantee of NFL success.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You are saying we don't need good players if we just blitz all the time?

Hey Cheddar..When replying to a post, try using the reply button,

Not saying that at all. Just saying that when slotting the draft and trying to fill needs, Brown may be the guy, better than any 43 DE available in the early part of the draft.

Sorry about the reply button. I'm an old guy new to this posting stuff but passionate about my Bills.

The size and speed of OLBs are different regarding 43 vs. 34 schemes. In a 34 scheme, you want your OLBs to be bigger, 6'4", 250-260 lbs. Bigger here also means a little slower. OLBs in a 43 defense can be a little smaller but are generally faster. The knock on Von Miller, before the draft, was that at 235/240, he could not set the edge for the defense. But in Denver's 43, he does very well.

This year, if Buffalo moves to the 43, Zack Brown, OLB from North Carolina becomes very very interesting as our possible first round pick. Brown is very instinctive. He is 6'2+", 230 lbs and runs an estimated 4.45 forty. Outside pass rusher baby. There he is.

We'd have to do that and am not sure Wanny is a big blitzer.

Zack Brown...late first...second rounder, but this all depends on his combine and pro day

late first early second sounds about right, perhaps the Bills could move up from the second round- As to combines and pro-days if I ran a scouting department all ratings would be done beforehand and combines and pro-days would only be used to knock a player down the draft board never raise him up.

Hard to consider a guy with only 5.5 collegiate sacks as someone who can be counted on as an NFL pass rusher. But if a move to the 43 happens, OLBs in a 43 aren't typically counted on to supply the pass rush so I'm not sure that would matter. I can't see them making the switch to the 43 without planning on bringing in one if not two DEs as Dwan Edwards and Chris Kelsay will not be sufficient in that type of defense. Therefore, I can't see them making the switch at all.

Kelsay is not sufficient as a 43 End? :blink: That's the only time he has looked good and he may be the world's latest bloomer but he has made a lot more plays the past 2 years in our "hybrid" and that was as a 43 End.

I think the answer is more wildcat, and I'm not just talking offense. Defensive wildcat is cutting edge stuff. Can you imagine the nose tackle and corner switching spots right before the snap? It will confuse the hell out of everyone. We'll see how effective B Marshall and Welker are with KW jamming them at the line. And no way Mangold deals with McKelvins speed, NO WAY!

The front seven becomes the back seven. This will be revolutionary stuff. And it starts in Buffalo.

Like wings.

GO BILLS!!!

How would that work with the linebackers?

Would they still be playing essentially the same position?

Still not interested?

I dunno.

Can he actually play football?

The size and speed of OLBs are different regarding 43 vs. 34 schemes. In a 34 scheme, you want your OLBs to be bigger, 6'4", 250-260 lbs. Bigger here also means a little slower. OLBs in a 43 defense can be a little smaller but are generally faster. The knock on Von Miller, before the draft, was that at 235/240, he could not set the edge for the defense. But in Denver's 43, he does very well.

This year, if Buffalo moves to the 43, Zack Brown, OLB from North Carolina becomes very very interesting as our possible first round pick. Brown is very instinctive. He is 6'2+", 230 lbs and runs an estimated 4.45 forty. Outside pass rusher baby. There he is.

I was thinking that very thing. He was off my radar but evetything you here he is the perfect 43 olb

1.)Quinton Coples DE – North Carolina

2a.) Brandon Thompson DT-Clemson

2b.)Alameda Ta’Amu DT- Washington

3.) Nigel Bradham-LB FSU

4a.) Brandon Lindsay – LB Pittsburg

why are we taking dt we have williams and daruis plus spencer johnson

Sorry about the reply button. I'm an old guy new to this posting stuff but passionate about my Bills.

No problem. Nothing wrong with being passionate about the Bills...

At this point I don't care who the Bills take, I just want to see some success...

I like staying in my skeptical, pessimistic shell, as soon as I start getting hopeful about the Bills again they always wind up and kick me in the nuts....

Edited by Turbosrrgood

At this point I'm going off of Bills' needs, GBN Report of the top players and these player's youtube videos....LOL

My draft wish is that the Bills trade up for RG III, but if that doesn't happen it has to be a three down pass rushing monster that we're looking for.

Here's a couple of links to the players (with video)...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83979&draftyear=2012&genpos=DE

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69140&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

Coples will hopefully be gone because he has not looked impressive (not at all) in any game I've seen and think he is way overrated. Maybe if he can get himself motivated he can be dominate but at this rate he will bust.

Wish William Tourek from Florida international was coming out, this kid reminds me Jason P-P, ripped, muscular and athletic.

too small

And you base this on...?

Come on. It's a defensive scheme. Not brain surgery. The guy has been doing this for years. He can direct either alignment to attack gaps quite easily. He just needs us to get players capable of doing that.

Come on. It's a defensive scheme. Not brain surgery. The guy has been doing this for years. He can direct either alignment to attack gaps quite easily. He just needs us to get players capable of doing that.

DCs tend to stick with what they know. Jim Haslett changed the Redskins to a 3-4. Jerry Gray changed us to a 4-3. George Edwards changed us back to a 3-4. Wade Phillips changed the Texans to a 3-4, as Dom Capers did the same to the Packers.

DCs tend to stick with what they know. Jim Haslett changed the Redskins to a 3-4. Jerry Gray changed us to a 4-3. George Edwards changed us back to a 3-4. Wade Phillips changed the Texans to a 3-4, as Dom Capers did the same to the Packers.

they may favor one, but it doesn't mean they can't run the other. Personally, I don't care which we run, or even if it takes a couple years to be effective.

But aren't we looking at smaller, more athletic LBs in a 4-3? Any way, I made my mock draft today, and not only did I have Brown in the 1st, I had Ronnell Lewis from Oklahoma (6-2, 237) in the 2nd.

Don't know, ask Chan and Wanny.

I would not draft purely for scheme or use size/speed as the major indicators.

Look at the films and find some football players. Get guys who can play and do it with passion.