43 defense and a possible 1st rd. pick

Buffalo tried to fit Maybin into a 34 scheme and he could not set the edge which OLBs in the 34 have to do. Additionally, when rushing, Maybin had to beat the size and strength of the OT which he, most often, could not do. In a 43, Maybin may have been good. But Maybin was a one trick pony speed rusher and likely would have been bad in coverage which a 43 and 34 OLB must be able to do. With the Jets 34, he's only in on obvious passing downs for a reason.

Brown is a much more complete LB, able to cover, run defend, and rush. He's always around the football. And, again, we're talking 43 scheme here. With 43 DEs going head to head with the OT, the 43 rush linebacker need only to manuever around the big bodies to the QB. Most early draft boards have Brown going in the top half of Rd. 1 and being the first OLB off the board,(sorry Courtney Upshaw fans).

The 4-3 doesn't have a rush lb, thats the 3-4. The role of the linebacker position in the 4-3 depends on the scheme but mostly they're instinctive in nature and quick to the ball. Usually in the 4-3 the DE's are the pass rushers and the DT's are gap penetrators trying to make plays in the backfield while LB's makes tackles in front of them & diagnose screens & draws...but it depends on the scheme of the DC. With Wanny I refer back to the set he had with Miami with the 2 big DT's in the middle and quick DE's for pass rush, sprinkling in situational blitzs from the WLB& SS. But this may change because he did state that the league has changed since he's been away. Because of the pass he may tend to use small quicker LBs to cover in space ( we do face Brady 2x/yr).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo tried to fit Maybin into a 34 scheme and he could not set the edge which OLBs in the 34 have to do. Additionally, when rushing, Maybin had to beat the size and strength of the OT which he, most often, could not do. In a 43, Maybin may have been good. But Maybin was a one trick pony speed rusher and likely would have been bad in coverage which a 43 and 34 OLB must be able to do. With the Jets 34, he's only in on obvious passing downs for a reason.

Brown is a much more complete LB, able to cover, run defend, and rush. He's always around the football. And, again, we're talking 43 scheme here. With 43 DEs going head to head with the OT, the 43 rush linebacker need only to manuever around the big bodies to the QB. Most early draft boards have Brown going in the top half of Rd. 1 and being the first OLB off the board,(sorry Courtney Upshaw fans).

Maybin was drafted specifically for Jauron's 4-3 Tampa 2 defense as an edge rusher. When Jauron was fired and the Tampa 2 thrown out, Maybin became a complete misfit. Changing head coaches has far reaching implications that the average has no clue about. We also lost Eric Studesville, the best running backs coach in the league, who has done wonders in Denver, plus Kugler, a great O Line coach. We will go DE in round 1 if one is there. Stach needs one for the 4-3 over defense.

they may favor one, but it doesn't mean they can't run the other. Personally, I don't care which we run, or even if it takes a couple years to be effective.

I take the opposite approach. Our personnel still seem better suited to a 4-3 for me, and the 4-3 also puts less pressure on CBs, which would be a good thing for us.

Don't know, ask Chan and Wanny.

I would not draft purely for scheme or use size/speed as the major indicators.

Look at the films and find some football players. Get guys who can play and do it with passion.

I would agree, but not everybody is a fit for every scheme, as I'm sure you well know. Let's say we go to a 4-3. Would Upshaw be a fit at OLB?

The 4-3 doesn't have a rush lb, thats the 3-4. The role of the linebacker position in the 4-3 depends on the scheme but mostly they're instinctive in nature and quick to the ball. Usually in the 4-3 the DE's are the pass rushers and the DT's are gap penetrators trying to make plays in the backfield while LB's makes tackles in front of them & diagnose screens & draws...but it depends on the scheme of the DC. With Wanny I refer back to the set he had with Miami with the 2 big DT's in the middle and quick DE's for pass rush, sprinkling in situational blitzs from the WLB& SS. But this may change because he did state that the league has changed since he's been away. Because of the pass he may tend to use small quicker LBs to cover in space ( we do face Brady 2x/yr).

Ahhhh.....What? Let me repeat myself. Ever hear of the blitz. Blitzing LB = rush LB IN ANY SCHEME. I know DE's in a 43 are expected to apply prssure to the QB. You TOTALLY missed the context of my post.

Looking at the early half of the first round, there doesn't seem to be a draftable DE worthy of selection at that point. I know, I Know, Couples was a preseason favorite. Another Peppers some said. But he played DT last year, was moved to DE this recently concluded year and did not do well. NC asked him to move back to DT and he refused. He refused; not a good sign. So; trying to find a pass rushing threat, and knowing that the team needs help at the OLB positions, I suggested Zack Brown as a possible #10 pick; very strong, and very very fast suggesting he could be a fix to Buffalo's inability to RUSH the QB from the linebacker position.

Does that help?

I think the answer is more wildcat, and I'm not just talking offense. Defensive wildcat is cutting edge stuff. Can you imagine the nose tackle and corner switching spots right before the snap? It will confuse the hell out of everyone. We'll see how effective B Marshall and Welker are with KW jamming them at the line. And no way Mangold deals with McKelvins speed, NO WAY!

Anyone else here remember when the Rams switched to a 2-5 "Eagle" defense?

If I recall correctly, it was because they were so injured on the DL they basically ran out and had to play LB's instead, so they decided to actually scheme for it rather than line up LB's out of position.

It sort of worked - didn't catch on though, obviously.

... and the 4-3 also puts less pressure on CBs, which would be a good thing for us.

Not true for most "standard" 4-3's. Remember Gregg Williams' 4-3 that was what the Bills abandoned their decade-long use of the 3-4 for? Williams left his CB's on an island all the time - that's why he drafted Clements and Winfield as 1st-rounders. It's the same thing the Titans run, and the Saints now.

The Tampa-2 (Jauron's style - and the Bears, Bucs, and Colts) does put less pressure on the CB's because they have those "2" safeties back most of the time. It's _a_ 4-3 scheme, but not one people were too happy with here just a few years ago. We don't have the LB's for it anyway. That was also the scheme Haloti Ngata was "too big and slow" for, we were told. :wallbash:

Wanny is not a Tampa-2 guy, to my knowledge - he's a base/big 4-3 guy.

Edited by BobChalmers

Maybin is listed at 6'4" 240, which he is not. Von miller is listed at 6'3" 245, and he appears much more stout than Maybin.

Zack Brown at 6"2" and 230 lbs appears to be Maybin sized. Sounds like another big risk.

He recently ran a 4.28 and benches 380 . Hopefully he is the anti maybin