Wannstedt/Gailey: Job #1 in the offseason

How many times did we lose the battle in the air this year? Do I even need to name specifics?

How many picks weren't picks at all, but instead, were a WR quitting or getting beat to the ball? Fitz got royally screwed a bunch of times on this. Also, how many balls were volleyballed up in the air by WRs/RBs(don't remember any from the TEs). How many drops did we have, by how many guys?

Far too many, and with so many guys not getting it done, the answer is bad WR coaching.

How many times did our DBs find themselves in the right spot, in the right coverage, only to be slow/stupid, and not get the ball, or at least knock it down? That's not the DC's fault(even though I am overjoyed he's gone), that's the DB coach. How many times did we see guys get flat out-techniqued? Out-muscled, out-positioned?

Far too many, and with so many guys nto getting it done, the answer is bad DB coaching.

There are lots of ways to fix this, but at this point, we are as bad as we can be at going up and out-muscling or out-jumping or out-positioning the other guy. It's so bad, I would even consider firing the WR/DB coaches. Are either that good? If they like one, then fire the other one to send a message.

RE the players: this is about heart. Taking the punishment to get the ball, and, doing the right things right BEFORE the ball gets there and not being lazy about it. The WR/DB coaches, whoever they end up being, should be on the player's asses starting today on this. Why wait?

This is perhaps the single most fixable issue we have, and it was one of the top 3 reasons we got beat this year, if not #1.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

This might have been talked about in the other Edwards out/Wanny in thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone would have any insight on it... does Wanny have any "his guys" types, paybe a LB coach or something, he may look to bring in, or do you think he is being hired as part of an existing coaching staff? I can't see no other changes being made on the D side of the ball. DB coach though (George Catavolos) may or may not be the problem, but I know he was thought of highly of enough to be retained from DJ's staff...

and honestly there are a couple obvious changes, not necessarily easy, that need to be done...

-Put actual pressure on the QB for 20% of the passing downs

-Teach McKelvin to turn his F-king head when the ball is near and the WR is obviously going for the ball

-Either get rid of Florence or teach him that 2 pass interference penalties are not a good thing

-Realize that it's not a terrible idea if we part ways with Mcgee, his best football is behind him and you don't hold onto DB's near the end of their careers, they get you beat. However, I can't say for sure if the combination of Williams and Rogers are enough to replace him. May need a FA or top 4th rd. Pick given to this area.

How many times did we lose the battle in the air this year? Do I even need to name specifics?

How many picks weren't picks at all, but instead, were a WR quitting or getting beat to the ball? Fitz got royally screwed a bunch of times on this. Also, how many balls were volleyballed up in the air by WRs/RBs(don't remember any from the TEs). How many drops did we have, by how many guys?

Far too many, and with so many guys not getting it done, the answer is bad WR coaching.

I do think our WR have missed a bunch of catchable balls. One comment I heard from the announcers Sunday that may have some bearing, and that agrees with my own observations: Fitz always throws the ball hard. I think it would help our wideouts if Fitz could learn to throw with more touch. (I don't know if this is a skill that can be learned)

I'm not so sure you blame the WRs or Fitz. I've seen several quotes about Gailey's passing scheme, short n quick, which requires the QB and WRs to be NSync. That's why Fitz had them at his place during the lock out. Once you start throwing in new guys, it takes time and practice for them to get comfortable. I think this is the main reason for the O's decline--all of the injuries to WRs and Chandler, AND FJ. I think it also takes time and experience for Fitz to gain confidence in any new WR. So, I'd disagree, it's not bad coaching, it's the injuries and not being in sync.

I do think our WR have missed a bunch of catchable balls. One comment I heard from the announcers Sunday that may have some bearing, and that agrees with my own observations: Fitz always throws the ball hard. I think it would help our wideouts if Fitz could learn to throw with more touch. (I don't know if this is a skill that can be learned)

I mentioned this in a different thread, trying to debunk the myth that Fitz's arm strength is horrible. He has a strong arm. His problems are accuracy and touch. He seems to always throw hard and alot of his passes end up bouncing off guys after hitting their hands, he doesn't seem to have much "touch", being able to throw a pass based on where the WR is. The other issue is accuracy, he overthrows alot, and some of that may be the WR and QB not always being on the same page

Regarding our DB's - they'd look a whole lot better if we had a pass rush. They are not nearly as bad as stated throughout this thread. It was only 2 yrs ago we were considered to have one of the best secondaries in the league.

What's happened / changed? Whitner is gone - we all know that hasn't hurt us.

The problem has been McGee's injuries. If he can't stay healthy - let him go even though he's our best DB. At the current rate, he'll be 45 before he's healthy enough to play.

The others we have are good enough and the Bills should draft at least one DB every year - heck they are 40-50% of your defensive personnel every single play - you'd be crazy not to.

Williams and Rogers are improving weekly, but opposing QB's have WAY too much time to throw. Our biggest defensive need is a player who can rush the passer (DE or LB) - I'll let Wanny thell us which. . . .