Bills Needs in the off-season

6 - 10, three more wins than last year. Younger guys are beginning to uptick, the team is very young. Let's look how this team could get better instead of whining about this season.

Coaching:

Edwards needs to be FIRED and FIRED yesterday! The defense looks like 11 individuals trying to do 11 different things. There were some good points on the year (Barnett carried this defense, Wilson, Scott, Byrd were all good), especially with the new additions (Dareus, Williams being major bright spots), but not enough to save his job. Edwards may be a good assistant, but as a coordinator, he looks lost and empty.

The offense was too pass oriented with a string-bean strength arm that is inaccurate and subject to poor decisions. That said, I am impressed with the OL coaching.

Chan Gailey - short leash. He may be an inspiring coach to his players, but what is he doing calling plays?

Dave Wannstedt - the LBS were solid this year and he is the reason

Bruce DeHaven - ST was solid, not exceptional.

Curtis Modkins - RBs had an amazing year. Spiller and injured Jackson were great. After DLing the games, I changed my opinion on McIntyre.

George Edwards - FIRE THIS LOSER NOW!!!!

Bob Bicknell - TEs were good, if unspectacular. When will the Bills use a TE effectively again?

George Catavolos - Lots of turnovers, lots of yards given up. Short leash.

Eric Ciano/John Gamble - TOO MANY IR players!

George Cortez - if we are married to Fitz, Cortez needs to spend months with him and get him right. Short leash.

Joe D'Alessandris - Great year for a maligned bunch.

Stan Hixon - Got alot of out a unit with little talent. Johnson, Nelson are solid. . .the rest I am not sure of. We need a burner.

Giff Smith - Little rush except for Dareus. No Williams most of the year. Short leash.

QUARTERBACK

Giving a big contract to a career backup was crazy. I was not happy with that decision and felt it came WAY too soon. Thigpen is a backup up, Brad Smith is a joke.

We need a QB.

RUNNING BACKS

Nothing. Re-up Fred and turn Spiller into slot/runner like Reggie Bush is.

WR

Johnson, shelf the ego and stupidity. I am growing weary of egomaniac receivers. Nelson is a great possession receiver. Keep Roosevelt. Jones slides down the depth chart. Is Parrish worthy of coming back? He was having a good year until injury hit, but he is so small. Slot guys are hard to find (look at that rodent Welker).

TE

Chandler is serviceable. 40 catches would be nice for him. I don't know the rest of the lot, meaning they contributed next to nothing.

OL

Bell has got to go. Too injured. The nucleus of Levitre, Wood, Pears, Urbik seems to work. Open field on Bell's position. Hairston looked good.

DL

We have nothing at DE. NOTHING. I am not completely sold on Carrington, but he did have flashes of good play. Edwards needs to be cut. Swtich back to a 4-3 please. Honestly, Williams and Dareus together are a formidable DT threat. Move Spencer Johnson back to the DL where he belongs.

LB

Are the rest of you sold that Merriman is made of glass and can do nothing anymore? Barnett, Morrison, Batten, Sheppard, Moats and Kelsay (ugh) stay. The rest I am not sold on.

DB:

Williams and Florence/McGee would be good together as CB, with McFumbles being a Nickelback. Byrd, Scott, Wilson and D'Searcy I can accept as safeties.

K/P:

Lindell and Moorman until they retire.

LS:

Sanborn is very good.

OUR NEEDS (number means importance):

QB - 4

Deep threat WR - 2

Pass rushing DE - 3

Pass rushing LB - 5

Offensive Tackle - 1

Shutdown CB - 6

Defensive coordinator

FREE AGENTS

UFAs

Demetrius Bell - let go. too injured.

Scott Chandler - short term deal

Tashard Choice - let go.

Reggie Corner - on the bubble. one year deal

Andra Davis - let go.

Derek Hagan - on the bubble.

Steve Johnson - heavily negotiate. His antics are costing him money.

Rian Lindell - resigned

Kirk Morrison - re-sign

Roscoe Parrish - one or two year deal

Dave Rayner - buh-bye!

Bryan Scott - resign

Reggie Torbor - let go

RFAs

Chad Rinehart - resign

Garrison Sanborn - resign

Kraig Urbik - sign

EFAs

Bruce Hall - let go.

DRAFT:

1st - Pass rushing DE

2nd - Quarterback

3rd - Offensive Tackle

4th - Cornerback

4th - Linebacker

5th - Tight End

6th - Linebacker

7th - Wide Receiver

FREE AGENTS

Sign a fast deep threat with hands

Sign the Linebacker we need (since Merriman looks done)

Any input?

Since we cannot make the offseason change this team really needs with new ownership, I will play along. First I would resign Chandler to a four year deal, he is the first real TE we have had in a long time. I would consider franchising Stevie and give him one more year to grow up and play like an elite receiver. Merriman has one year left on his contract, let him play it out. Fire Edwards and see if Spags is interested in coming here. Draft a developmental QB in rounds 2 or 3. Cut Fitz to get rid of his contract with the understanding he resigns with Buffalo for four years 20 million. Participate and do not be a spectator during the first seven days of free agency this year.

Since we cannot make the offseason change this team really needs with new ownership, I will play along. First I would resign Chandler to a four year deal, he is the first real TE we have had in a long time. I would consider franchising Stevie and give him one more year to grow up and play like an elite receiver. Merriman has one year left on his contract, let him play it out. Fire Edwards and see if Spags is interested in coming here. Draft a developmental QB in rounds 2 or 3. Cut Fitz to get rid of his contract with the understanding he resigns with Buffalo for four years 20 million. Participate and do not be a spectator during the first seven days of free agency this year.

Ralph is the problem. I've said it for years.

Ralph is the problem. I've said it for years.

Yeah I agree. Did you see the way he threw that ball in the second half? His playing skills have diminished over the years like you said. Hey, What number was he wearing this Sunday?

...here is my two cents:

OUR NEEDS (number means importance - assuming scale is 1 -10):

QB (with brains and an accurate strong arm...Manning/Kelly type) - 9

Pass rushing DE (the Bills do not have one) - 8

Pass rushing LB (the Bills do not have one) - 8

Offensive Tackle - 7

Shutdown CB (do the Bills have one?) - 7

Defensive coordinator - 7

Strength and conditioning (the whole team would benefit from better conditioning) - 7

Offensive coordinator (it might be better to have someone dedicated to just this) - 6

Deep threat WR (do the Bills have one?) - 4

6 - 10, three 2 not 3 more wins than last year. Younger guys are beginning to uptick, the team is very young. Let's look how this team could get better instead of whining about this season.

Team age: we are 22nd, I am not sure the "young players" excuse is right or true really.

Coaching:

Edwards needs to be FIRED and FIRED yesterday! The defense looks like 11 individuals trying to do 11 different things. There were some good points on the year (Barnett carried this defense, Wilson, Scott, Byrd were all good), especially with the new additions (Dareus, Williams being major bright spots), but not enough to save his job. Edwards may be a good assistant, but as a coordinator, he looks lost and empty.

I am sure there needs to be more changes and am impressed with the rookies, not sure that the "hybrid" is a workable or desirable scheme, IMO keep it fairly simple and build around your best players. Every system has a weakness. Edwards does seem lost but the talent is subpar as well. Bring in OLBs in the draft and from CFL and FA, this is fixable or use the 4/3 and bring in DEs. I really think that the OBL/DE thing is where the team is missing it the most in this hybrid garbage. It needs to be seriously addressed. As the other poster said Spags might be an answer, Edwards has had 2 bad years. I think part of the problem is that offense has to win championships now a days. It is less important to hold your opponent than to outscore them by as much as you can. The league made it that way and football is not better for it.

The offense was too pass oriented with a string-bean strength arm that is inaccurate and subject to poor decisions. That said, I am impressed with the OL coaching.

I think Fitz can be pretty good, at times he is streaky and inaccurate but he can and should be built around. Draft a talent okay but build the offense still. Keep building the line, it is less than perfect. The line needs to give Fitz more time, 2-3 seconds are not enough and most QBs would fail worse than he has IMO. 1/2 of what makes them look okay is Fitz making the decision to get rid of it fast. He still is high up there in getting hit after the throw which shows you he throws hurried. I laugh when I hear his mechanics are effed when I hear it because, well frankly whose wouldn't be. He is okay when they save him from real pressure and it is still there against most teams. They miss the injured too.

One thing, they are decent as run blockers and I attribute that to being mammoth (which I like). Draft a high LT IMO, who has speed to keep up with the rushers on that side. Sign Bell for a year and see if he can stay healthy. Hairston and Pears on the right, would be okay. concentrate on really building a good running game that you actually utilize. Chan has the players on the roster to do it and I am pretty miffed as to why we have the spread 1st scheme. It maybe a passing league but run to set up the pass is still a valid and worthy philosophy. I also think it was pretty shifty to use our weakness as our strength, that way in the pass game (screens and slants, timed passes, crossing patterns) but we must build beyond that. Covering a weakness is not a long term solution. I think Chan knows it and built a decent O this year but he must go beyond that, I was happy to be entertained by the best O in a decade in a buffalo uniform. But his lack of adjusting things both in games and as the season progressed was a disappointment.

Chan Gailey - short leash. He may be an inspiring coach to his players, but what is he doing calling plays?

I agree he maybe making some decisions that are at best iffy, he gets at least next year before the short leash, he is far above DJ. He got 3 and a half.

Dave Wannstedt - the LBS were solid this year and he is the reason. How do you know he is the reason for that?

Bruce DeHaven - ST was solid, not exceptional. At times but had some bad games

Curtis Modkins - RBs had an amazing year. Spiller and injured Jackson were great. After DLing the games, I changed my opinion on McIntyre. I wonder what your opinion of McIntyre was? Both backs ae good but IMO McIntyre could be used as a runner in some instances. Where did you DL the games? I want to do that too

George Edwards - FIRE THIS LOSER NOW!!!! I already covered this above

Bob Bicknell - TEs were good, if unspectacular. When will the Bills use a TE effectively again? Chandler had the best year for a TE in ages. They do need a back up or 2nd who is very good too, they should copy the Pats* IMO.

George Catavolos - Lots of turnovers, lots of yards given up. Short leash. True dat, but turnovers are good. I think front 7 would improve the play more than anything else

Eric Ciano/John Gamble - TOO MANY IR players! Yes are they to blame? Does the FO or Chan put them on IR too soon? How can they make them more effective? would be my question.

George Cortez - if we are married to Fitz, Cortez needs to spend months with him and get him right. Short leash. I addressed this up above as well

Joe D'Alessandris - Great year for a maligned bunch.I agree

Stan Hixon - Got alot of out a unit with little talent. Johnson, Nelson are solid. . .the rest I am not sure of. We need a burner. I would say if Geo. D can get credit so can this guy

Giff Smith - Little rush except for Dareus. No Williams most of the year. Short leash. These guys are not dogs what's up with the leashing thing

QUARTERBACK

Giving a big contract to a career backup was crazy. I was not happy with that decision and felt it came WAY too soon. Thigpen is a backup up, Brad Smith is a joke. Thigpen is a question mark at best, Brad Smith is misused by the Bills

We need a QB.

RUNNING BACKS

Nothing. Re-up Fred and turn Spiller into slot/runner like Reggie Bush is. Bush this year proved how wrong he was used in NO but I think there are a ton of ways to use them both reupping Fred is a no brainer

WR

Johnson, shelf the ego and stupidity. I am growing weary of egomaniac receivers. Nelson is a great possession receiver. Keep Roosevelt. Jones slides down the depth chart. Is Parrish worthy of coming back? He was having a good year until injury hit, but he is so small. Slot guys are hard to find (look at that rodent Welker). I think we could be in very good shape next year, do we need Roscoe? I am not sure we do but we do need a good number 2, I hope we keep SJ. He did a stupid thing, yes.

TE

Chandler is serviceable. 40 catches would be nice for him. I don't know the rest of the lot, meaning they contributed next to nothing. Draft and fa good places to find another

OL

Bell has got to go. Too injured. The nucleus of Levitre, Wood, Pears, Urbik seems to work. Open field on Bell's position. Hairston looked good. We need some more OTs no doubt

DL

We have nothing at DE. NOTHING. I am not completely sold on Carrington, but he did have flashes of good play. Edwards needs to be cut. Swtich back to a 4-3 please. Honestly, Williams and Dareus together are a formidable DT threat. Move Spencer Johnson back to the DL where he belongs. Maybe

LB

Are the rest of you sold that Merriman is made of glass and can do nothing anymore not yet but bring guys in anyway? Barnett, Morrison, Batten, Sheppard, Moats and Kelsay, Morrision (ugh) stay. The rest I am not sold on. Changes need to happen no doubt, I wonder if Davis is resigned, he has helped coach up Shep a lot the problems are on the out side. I would think we get different players and get rid of a couple at least if we did go 4/3

DB:

Williams and Florence/McGee would be good together as CB, with McFumbles being a Nickelback. Byrd, Scott, Wilson and D'Searcy I can accept as safeties. Yet the coach is on a short leash, I would actually like to see Florence traded for a better CB or something we will look in the draft I think

K/P:

Lindell and Moorman until they retire. They should have some ppl in every TC who maybe just as good, competition at every position is a good thing

LS:

Sanborn is very good. LOL I hate having a LS but it seems to be a necessary evil

QB - 4 ( a decent backup yes)

Deep threat WR - 2 3 or 2 maybe even 1

Pass rushing DE - 3 4

Pass rushing LB - 5 (1)and(2) (these two OLB and DE depend on scheme

Offensive Tackle - 1 tied for 3

Shutdown CB - 6 5? I don't know, a shut down corner is a really good thing to have, we don't have one. Will Willams develop into one? draft one late or sign in FA

Defensive coordinator Up to coach his job rides on it, not mine

FREE AGENTS

UFAs

Demetrius Bell - let go. too injured.Sign cheap if you can. No more holes at this position please and draft a good one

Scott Chandler - short term deal long term is okay, and get another good one

Tashard Choice - let go.meh

Reggie Corner - on the bubble. one year deal meh

Andra Davis - let go.

Derek Hagan - on the bubble.meh

Steve Johnson - heavily negotiate. His antics are costing him money. do what it takes to sign him he is the best we have baby antics or no, stop making holes to draft for

Rian Lindell - resigned meh

Kirk Morrison - re-sign

Dave Rayner - buh-bye!meh

Bryan Scott - resign

Reggie Torbor - let go

RFAs

Chad Rinehart - resign

Kraig Urbik - sign

EFAs

Bruce Hall - let go.

DRAFT:best player that fills a need at all positions, figure out what D scheme will be and coaching personnel first though

1st - Pass rushing DE

2nd - Quarterback

3rd - Offensive Tackle

4th - Cornerback

4th - Linebacker

5th - Tight End

6th - Linebacker

7th - Wide Receiver

FREE AGENTS

Any input? see above lol CHEERS and go Bills!

Edited by bowery4

6 - 10, three more wins than last year. Younger guys are beginning to uptick, the team is very young. Let's look how this team could get better instead of whining about this season.

Coaching:

Curtis Modkins - RBs had an amazing year. Spiller and injured Jackson were great. After DLing the games, I changed my opinion on McIntyre.

Bob Bicknell - TEs were good, if unspectacular. When will the Bills use a TE effectively again?

George Cortez - if we are married to Fitz, Cortez needs to spend months with him and get him right. Short leash.

Stan Hixon - Got alot of out a unit with little talent. Johnson, Nelson are solid. . .the rest I am not sure of. We need a burner.

Giff Smith - Little rush except for Dareus. No Williams most of the year. Short leash.

QUARTERBACK

Giving a big contract to a career backup was crazy. I was not happy with that decision and felt it came WAY too soon. Thigpen is a backup up, Brad Smith is a joke.

We need a QB.

RUNNING BACKS

WR

Johnson, shelf the ego and stupidity. I am growing weary of egomaniac receivers. Nelson is a great possession receiver. Keep Roosevelt. Jones slides down the depth chart. Is Parrish worthy of coming back? He was having a good year until injury hit, but he is so small. Slot guys are hard to find (look at that rodent Welker).

TE

Chandler is serviceable. 40 catches would be nice for him. I don't know the rest of the lot, meaning they contributed next to nothing.

OL

Bell has got to go. Too injured. The nucleus of Levitre, Wood, Pears, Urbik seems to work. Open field on Bell's position. Hairston looked good.

DL

We have nothing at DE. NOTHING. I am not completely sold on Carrington, but he did have flashes of good play. Edwards needs to be cut. Swtich back to a 4-3 please. Honestly, Williams and Dareus together are a formidable DT threat. Move Spencer Johnson back to the DL where he belongs.

LB

Are the rest of you sold that Merriman is made of glass and can do nothing anymore? Barnett, Morrison, Batten, Sheppard, Moats and Kelsay (ugh) stay. The rest I am not sold on.

DB:

Williams and Florence/McGee would be good together as CB, with McFumbles being a Nickelback. Byrd, Scott, Wilson and D'Searcy I can accept as safeties.

K/P:

LS:

Sanborn is very good.

QB - 4

Deep threat WR - 2

Pass rushing DE - 3

Pass rushing LB - 5

Offensive Tackle - 1

Shutdown CB - 6

Defensive coordinator

FREE AGENTS

UFAs

Tashard Choice - let go.

Andra Davis - let go.

Rian Lindell - resigned

Kirk Morrison - re-sign

Dave Rayner - buh-bye!

Bryan Scott - resign

Reggie Torbor - let go

RFAs

Chad Rinehart - resign

Kraig Urbik - sign

EFAs

Bruce Hall - let go.

DRAFT:

1st - Pass rushing DE

2nd - Quarterback

3rd - Offensive Tackle

4th - Cornerback

4th - Linebacker

5th - Tight End

6th - Linebacker

7th - Wide Receiver

FREE AGENTS

Any input?

Wow, glad you're not the GM!

You want to let go of two of the hardest to replace positions in the NFL, and two of your better players on the team = Johnson and Bell.

And please keep in mind, free agents are not falling all over themselves trying to sun with Buffalo. When you have top players, no matter how mercurial or injury-bitten they may be, you keep them and figure out ways to keep them in the game (that is much easier than just letting them walk and picking up a replacement in the draft).

Needs for next year? A moving van, and a few volunteers to get this sorry-ass team the hell outta here!

You went thought the hassle of setting up a TBD account to say that? :wallbash:

- I have to agree with you on Franchising Stevie, he is too good of a talent to let go. I think we need to go after a reciever in free agency that can mentor him and show him how to respect the game, score touchdowns like you have been there before and your coming back again.

- I also would like the Spags hire but I don't think that would happen, I think a better reach for us at D-coordinator would be Mangini. He has a hate for the Pats and Jets and I think he was a good D-coordinator if he just did those duties. Kind of like Wade Phillips great d-coordinator not so good head coach. So Mags is a better reach.

- I for one would also like to see us sign Bell back. He did a good job this year and maybe he can get backup money and just be a back up. He is still young and very atheletic. Sign him to compete for starting and let him be a back up, maybe he can stay healthy all year and continue to bulk up. He isn't going to be expensive.

- I hate to say this but the strength of our team this year is the OL, especially the interior line. With all the moving parts we showed a lot of depth and am looking forword to the progress. If Wood come back, Andy Wood and Urbik, even with our OT's Pears and Hairston (starting next year) I am stoked about this.

Yeah I agree. Did you see the way he threw that ball in the second half? His playing skills have diminished over the years like you said. Hey, What number was he wearing this Sunday?

Yeah, I also agree. Did you see the way he has undercut his team, not invested in it, complained about small market and refused to allow his GM to utilize all the cap room space the Bills have? His intelligence skills have diminished over the years. Hey, what planet are you living on if you don't think the only common thing in this long drought isn't a cheap Ralph Wilson?

Not meaning to pick a nit but weren't we 4-12 last year? Overall I mostly agree with your assessment. I'm afraid I can't describe the LBs as "solid this year" or give credit to Wannstache as you do.

How did your opinion on McIntyre change? I've seen some good blocking from him I think.

If Fitz is a capable backup, I'm afraid there needs to be another word for Thigpen. I have little doubt that if Chan saw any promise there, he would have pulled Fitz from several games to provide "spark" to the team.

I've wondered myself about switching back to 4-3, it would give us greater needs at linebacker I think - I don't think Barnett is a 4-3 MLB.

Coaching:

QUARTERBACK

We need a QB.

RUNNING BACKS

WR

TE

OL

DL

LB

DB:

K/P:

LS:

Sanborn is very good.

QB - 4

Deep threat WR - 2

Pass rushing DE - 3

Pass rushing LB - 5

Offensive Tackle - 1

Shutdown CB - 6

Defensive coordinator

FREE AGENTS

UFAs

Tashard Choice - let go.

Andra Davis - let go.

Rian Lindell - resigned

Kirk Morrison - re-sign

Dave Rayner - buh-bye!

Bryan Scott - resign

Reggie Torbor - let go

RFAs

Chad Rinehart - resign

Kraig Urbik - sign

EFAs

Bruce Hall - let go.

DRAFT:

1st - Pass rushing DE

2nd - Quarterback

3rd - Offensive Tackle

4th - Cornerback

4th - Linebacker

5th - Tight End

6th - Linebacker

7th - Wide Receiver

FREE AGENTS

Any input?

Courtney Upshaw.

Who knows how stock will rise and fall between now and the draft but this is a guy who fits our needs perfectly and - as of now - looks like he'll be on the board at 10.