Observations at the end of the season

jahnyc

Some observations below:

1. The game today was a microcosm of our season. Fast start, horrid ending. I think that Chan got as much out of the offense and individual players as possible and if you compare it to where it was prior to his arrival, the offense has made great strides. I know that many will disagree, but it is Chan's system that has allowed players like Fitz, Stevie, Nelson, Chandler and Jones to excel and the offensive line to be effective with players like Pears and Hairston.

2. I don't think that Hairston is a starting caliber LT in the NFL (maybe a RT), but I can't see Pears becoming the back-up at his new contract numbers. I believe the Bills still need to find a starting caliber LT.

3. The situation on defense is confused. Are we playing a 3-4 or a 4-3? When are we going to commit? It should not take this long to move to a 3-4, but we still do not seem to have the players for it. Further confusing things is whether Edwards will be back and if he will be replaced by Wanny. Does this mean we switch back to a 4-3? I think Dareus is a natural tackle, not a DE. If we play a 3-4, does he continue at DE? Seems like we don't have the right players for either scheme.

4. Our kicking game has been horrendous since we lost Lindell. Seemed like we were being set up for a possible change to Raymer until he started missing FGs and got injured. The kid today looked awful, both on the one FG and kick-offs. I know that Lindell is a free agent, but the Bills need to re-sign him.

5. Stevie is immature, but needs to be re-signed. We can't start the offseason with another gaping hole, particularly since the Bills will not spend in free agency to find a comparable quality player to replace him.

6. Building through the draft is only part of the solution. The Bills also need to sign free agents. We have too many holes to use the draft to fill them all. Moreover, draft picks and other rookies cannot be expected to be be quality starters from day one.

7. The Bills also need to start thinking about re-signing Byrd and Levitre. Their contracts are up after next season and we need to keep our own quality players.

8. There are still many needs. Outside LB, DE (I don't think Carrington is more than a back-up), TE, WR (even if Stevie stays, we need a number 2) and LT.

1. Strongly disagree. I think Chan has a stud on his hands with Spiller but abondons the run game to run a five wide set in the hands of our below average quarterback which obviously leads to turnovers. He has a good system, he has TERRIBLE play calling. Screens are runs are not used nearly enough. We hide our strengths and expose our weaknesses by doing this.

2. True. Hairston has alot to learn. I think Pears has proven his worth as a competent NFL RT. A healthy Bell isn't a terrible option at LT, but he's injury prone and inconsistent so I agree that we could use another LT.

3. Agreed. Our players are well suited for a 4-3 defense. Kelsay Dareus Williams and Edwards is more than a formidable line. Barnett has shown that he was a solid pickup and a good MLB. I love Merriman but he's always injrued and I think he's a big reason as to why we're trying the 3-4.

4. Yep

5. Bingo. Not only do we need to sign him, but we need to get someone else who can actually be a respectable #2 WR

6. Ya but who the hell is going to want to come to Buffalo? Sexy free agents are almost impossible for us to sign

7. Yep

8. And a qb and centre

Should we resign Stevie? Well, did you recognize any of the receivers on the field on the second half? Oh yeah, I think I saw a throw go near David Nelson once.

As said above, if we don't resign him, it's just another big pot hole, that will just get bigger without him.

Edited by CSBill

I don't think that Spiller is the kind of RB that can be used in a traditional run first offense. He has some speed, but he has difficulty breaking tackles. I think the interior of our o-line is okay, but I am not sure how effective the running game would be if we didn't pass as much as we do.

I don't think that Spiller is the kind of RB that can be used in a traditional run first offense. He has some speed, but he has difficulty breaking tackles. I think the interior of our o-line is okay, but I am not sure how effective the running game would be if we didn't pass as much as we do.

Which begs the question, why does a team use a top 10 pick on a part time player, one who while talented, plays a position that isn't a difference maker. This pick, again of a player with talent, exemplifies the misguided team building philosophy by Nix. And it's a reason why, after 2 seasons, this team is 10-22. That's worse than Williams', Mularkey's, and Jauron's first 2 seasons.

Which begs the question, why does a team use a top 10 pick on a part time player, one who while talented, plays a position that isn't a difference maker. This pick, again of a player with talent, exemplifies the misguided team building philosophy by Nix. And it's a reason why, after 2 seasons, this team is 10-22. That's worse than Williams', Mularkey's, and Jauron's first 2 seasons.

10-22...that's pathetic.

I do agree with the OP. We need to commit to running a 3-4 or 4-3 and then to find players that can prosper in that scheme. Defensively we need to get rid of George Edwards. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Edwards a 4-3 coach trying to run a 3-4 for the first time? Yeah he is terrible but it appears he was put in a situation he should have not been in.

Resign Stevie. Absolutely - we have the money. I also want Fred and Byrd under contract. Levitre? I guess.

I would like this offense to run the ball more and utilize it's two best offensive players - FJ and CJ

Some observations below:

1. The game today was a microcosm of our season. Fast start, horrid ending. I think that Chan got as much out of the offense and individual players as possible and if you compare it to where it was prior to his arrival, the offense has made great strides. I know that many will disagree, but it is Chan's system that has allowed players like Fitz, Stevie, Nelson, Chandler and Jones to excel and the offensive line to be effective with players like Pears and Hairston.

2. I don't think that Hairston is a starting caliber LT in the NFL (maybe a RT), but I can't see Pears becoming the back-up at his new contract numbers. I believe the Bills still need to find a starting caliber LT.

3. The situation on defense is confused. Are we playing a 3-4 or a 4-3? When are we going to commit? It should not take this long to move to a 3-4, but we still do not seem to have the players for it. Further confusing things is whether Edwards will be back and if he will be replaced by Wanny. Does this mean we switch back to a 4-3? I think Dareus is a natural tackle, not a DE. If we play a 3-4, does he continue at DE? Seems like we don't have the right players for either scheme.

4. Our kicking game has been horrendous since we lost Lindell. Seemed like we were being set up for a possible change to Raymer until he started missing FGs and got injured. The kid today looked awful, both on the one FG and kick-offs. I know that Lindell is a free agent, but the Bills need to re-sign him.

5. Stevie is immature, but needs to be re-signed. We can't start the offseason with another gaping hole, particularly since the Bills will not spend in free agency to find a comparable quality player to replace him.

6. Building through the draft is only part of the solution. The Bills also need to sign free agents. We have too many holes to use the draft to fill them all. Moreover, draft picks and other rookies cannot be expected to be be quality starters from day one.

7. The Bills also need to start thinking about re-signing Byrd and Levitre. Their contracts are up after next season and we need to keep our own quality players.

8. There are still many needs. Outside LB, DE (I don't think Carrington is more than a back-up), TE, WR (even if Stevie stays, we need a number 2) and LT.

1. actually when we where winning we where falling behind early and finishing strong

2. for a 4th round draft pick Hairston has done very well and only can get better, would like to see him and Bell compete for the LT spot in the offseason

3-8 agree