How does Kindle work on computer?

bbb

I don't know anything about these reading devices. I thought you had to buy a Kindle.....I've noticed that I'm not finishing reading many books lately, because I never have the time. Yet, I read a ton on my computer, so I figured that I would maybe read books on the computer.

I was just looking at a book on amazon and it says this - would I need to install or buy a kindle for my PC first?:

Kindle Edition $11.99

Read it now on this PC

(You can always move it to a different device later with Whispersync)

Also on Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, PC and Mac.

I don't know anything about these reading devices. I thought you had to buy a Kindle.....I've noticed that I'm not finishing reading many books lately, because I never have the time. Yet, I read a ton on my computer, so I figured that I would maybe read books on the computer.

I was just looking at a book on amazon and it says this - would I need to install or buy a kindle for my PC first?:

Kindle Edition $11.99

Read it now on this PC

(You can always move it to a different device later with Whispersync)

Also on Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, PC and Mac.

You just install the Kindle software on your PC, buy the book, and read.

Whatever you buy is forever associated with your account - so if you buy a Kindle device later, it'll automatically load it up for you. My wife's family all have Kindles tied to one account - so they can all share their books.

You just install the Kindle software on your PC, buy the book, and read.

Whatever you buy is forever associated with your account - so if you buy a Kindle device later, it'll automatically load it up for you. My wife's family all have Kindles tied to one account - so they can all share their books.

Where do you buy the Kindle software - from Amazon?

I got Mrs. Lew a Kindle Touch for Christmas.

It is a LOT easier to read than a computer screen and the portability

factor is great.

Having an Amazon account helps with the purchase.

When I got the Kindle it was already personalized with my name on it.

Downloading books is simple, Trust me, even I can do this.

I got Mrs. Lew a Kindle Touch for Christmas.

It is a LOT easier to read than a computer screen and the portability

factor is great.

Having an Amazon account helps with the purchase.

When I got the Kindle it was already personalized with my name on it.

Downloading books is simple, Trust me, even I can do this.

My wife never leaves the house without her 2nd gen Kindle. She got the Kindle Fire for her birthday last month and she loves that too, although mostly for Facebook/email/surfing/games. She still usually uses the Kindle for reading.

I've read whole books on computer screens, but it gets tiring and uncomfortable. There is definitely a fatigue factor with any kind of back-lit screen. For the long haul, it's much easier on the eyes with good old ink or e-ink.

By the way, I have a regular kindle and I love it.

Edited by gringo starr

My Son in law was amazed at the Kindle.

We downloaded a book and it took all of 18 seconds.

He liked the enclosed dictionary.

Mrs. Lew had mentioned wanting to get a couple of books.

When I received the Kindle, I went to the "Store" and

downloaded them before I wrapped it.

Shw was very pleased.

So how much does it cost to download a book?

Book prices vary. Many older (public domain / copyright expired) titles are available for free or very cheap. Many catalogue titles are in the $6 to $8 range. The standard for popular stuff is $10, but still many new released are more like $12.99.

Book prices vary. Many older (public domain / copyright expired) titles are available for free or very cheap. Many catalogue titles are in the $6 to $8 range. The standard for popular stuff is $10, but still many new released are more like $12.99.

Yeah - it's roughly the same (or cheaper) as buying a regular book. And the library thing apparently works well if they offer it in your area.

That's why my wife's situation works out so well -- her mom, dad, and sister-in-law all have a Kindle as well. So if any one of them buys a book, the other three can then read it if they want. It doesn't always work out (father-in-law doesn't read romance, for example), but sometimes it works out great (they're all reading the Game of Thrones series, I believe).

That's why my wife's situation works out so well -- her mom, dad, and sister-in-law all have a Kindle as well. So if any one of them buys a book, the other three can then read it if they want.

Yup, I share an account with my GF so we can buy once and both have a book. Also, there are other ways to save. You can loan a book to a friend for two weeks at no charge. And if you're an Amazon Prime member, you get free book borrowing privelages.

Yeah - it's roughly the same (or cheaper) as buying a regular book. And the library thing apparently works well if they offer it in your area.

That's why my wife's situation works out so well -- her mom, dad, and sister-in-law all have a Kindle as well. So if any one of them buys a book, the other three can then read it if they want. It doesn't always work out (father-in-law doesn't read romance, for example), but sometimes it works out great (they're all reading the Game of Thrones series, I believe).

We've heard otherwise about your father-in-law :D

That's exactly right...I bought Tom Clancy's latest today & it was $12.99.