Quiton Coples

Quinton Coples is the #1 ranked 43 DE in this years upcoming draft. Tonight's game against Missouri was my third game of N Carolina and I watched Coples all night and I'm just not impressed. I was hoping that he would change my opinion of the first two games but he has not and I have even advocated the Bills taking him because we desperatley need a pass rush. He got some pressure but not much burst off the snap and gives up every play if he doesn't get past the Tackle after a couple of seconds. He is the complete opposite of a high motor guy which many people think is a no talent guy but if you want to be successful in the NFL you have to be tenacious and have talent. Even my wife who friggin hates football and was whining about the game being on thought he looked Lazy. He has the Talent but coaching effort is whole other ball game and unless someone can get in his head I don't know how well he will do in the pros.

Honestly I would like to see How Cordarro Law 6'2" 261 from Southern Miss does in these all star games because this guy was an animal in his bowl game, could fill our need at OLB.

"Southern Miss defensive end Cordarro Law put on a show Saturday, and he did it in style. Sporting gold cleats for the first time this season for an ESPN audience, Law ran the Nevada offensive line ragged and constantly put pressure Wolf Pack quarterback Cody Fajardo.“I just had a mindset that if it came down to me, I wasn’t going to let my team lose,” Law said. “That was just my mindset waking up this morning.”The senior from Alabama registered seven tackles, 4.5 for lost yardage and two sacks in Saturday’s 24-17 win over Nevada in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl."

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20111225/SOUTHERNMISS/111225001/Law-dominates-MVP-performance?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

4.5: Tackles for loss made by Southern Miss end Cordarro Law. For the second straight Southern Miss game, Law was the best player on the field. Against Houston in the Conference USA Championship, he had 2.5 tackles for loss (one sack) and a quarterback hurry, but it felt like he had doubled that. Against Nevada, he basically did: 6.5 tackles, 4.5 for loss, with two sacks and another hurry. In the third quarter, with the Wolf Pack attempting to capitalize on a Southern Miss fumble in their own red zone, Nevada coach Chris Ault brought veteran quarterback Tyler Lantrip into the game in place of Cody Fajardo, hoping it would stabilize the offense a bit. Law tackled Lantrip for a loss of two on one play, then sacked him the next, and Nevada had to settle for a field goal. Law had more tackles for loss than the Nevada team as a whole (four).

http://www.sbnation....011-recap-stats

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Wouldn't touch Coples with a 10 foot pole. 7.5 sacks this year. 4 came vs James Madison and Duke. 6'6 285, not sure he is has the skills to play OLB in the 3-4. If we stick with the 3-4, t don't think he fills a major need, except the roll of pass rusher. A roll I personally don't think he'll fill very well.

Just one guys take:

Pros–Great size for a defensive end..Versatility can play both tackle (43) and end (43 or 34)…pass rush ability…makes plays behind the line of scrimmage…opportunistic (will benefit from it being a down year for defensive linemen)...

Cons–inconsistency in 2011 thus far, wasn’t even a starter until player went down with injury…struggling to adjust to double teams…not a prototypical speed rusher…should be a much better player vs the run for a player with his size..plays too high..can get turned and pushed easily out of play…not going to shoot many gaps…

Thoughts

Color me unimpressed with Quinton Coples...(more at the link below)

http://nflmocks.com/2011/10/15/quinton-coples-scouting-report-de-north-carolina-tar-heels/

Edited by Beerball

The only way I see us taking Coples is if we plug him into a role like Wade Phillips did with Mario Williams.

\

I was thinking the opposite really. I wasn’t impressed with him as a dynamic speed pass rusher similar to Peppers/M Williams like I heard he was. However, he did look big and strong and could move people with his hands. Relative to a 3-4 DE, he looked very quick off the snap and could penetrate the interior of the line. He could be a good pass rushing 3-4 end for us kinda like Seymour was for the Patsies. Him, Dareus and Williams could get after the QB pretty well. I wouldn’t take him with our pick unless some other guys are gone, but he may be a better fit inside rather than out. I don't see him play LB at all (unless is the Spencer Johnson 'LB' role????)

\

I was thinking the opposite really. I wasn’t impressed with him as a dynamic speed pass rusher similar to Peppers/M Williams like I heard he was. However, he did look big and strong and could move people with his hands. Relative to a 3-4 DE, he looked very quick off the snap and could penetrate the interior of the line. He could be a good pass rushing 3-4 end for us kinda like Seymour was for the Patsies. Him, Dareus and Williams could get after the QB pretty well. I wouldn’t take him with our pick unless some other guys are gone, but he may be a better fit inside rather than out. I don't see him play LB at all (unless is the Spencer Johnson 'LB' role????)

I would rather take somebody who has really played OLB (Upshaw), unless, of course, we revert to a 4-3.

He's looked average all year, maybe he thinks he is a top 10 guy and doesn't need to try hard :unsure: .

Dud, Dud, Dud.

He got a lot more attention from other teams this year after an awesome junior campaign, and despite countless double-teams and chips from tailbacks he put in a 7.5 sack effort.

He is a great run defender as well. If he plays to his potential, he is a Pierre-Paul type of player.

He got a lot more attention from other teams this year after an awesome junior campaign, and despite countless double-teams and chips from tailbacks he put in a 7.5 sack effort.

He is a great run defender as well. If he plays to his potential, he is a Pierre-Paul type of player.

didn't see hardly any double teams or chips last night and he kept using the same outside rush move to no avail. He is no where near the athlete JPP is and from his lackadaisical effort out there he will never make it unless he gears up that intensity.

Thoner makes a good point in that he might be a better 34 end but we have bigger needs than that.

Coples looked more like a dud, dud, dud from what I saw in that bowl game.

I was also unimpressed with UNC OLB Zack Brown, another top prospect.

Neither player was anything close to dominant.

nor paige-moss.

I'm certainly not well versed enough in college football to know all the players available for this year's NFL draft, but, it looks to me like there aren't many top tier talents at the OLB/DE position this year, especially considering or comparing to years past. Nix might have to get creative when looking for truly dominant players for OLB roles by looking at less known, less developed guys - but who have the natural body and ability; or, and this is a real consideration, I think, all things considered

- maybe the talent this year in the draft is more attuned to a 4-3 defense, and our D-Coordinator replacement wants to run that... it's hard, though, to imagine Nix budging on his philosophy regarding what defense is best, unless, and another "if", Whaley takes over.

Could be an interesting off season for the Bills Defense.

Edited by sllib olaffub

At best he is only valued as the 15th pick & lower although he is graded as a 5th pick player, Morris Claiborne CB LSU & Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama are the only top 10 defensive player worth pick in the top 10 but as one thread said Stop drafting RB & CB

Coples has faced a lot of added attention this year. More double teams than most, but he still hasn't been that impressive. I think he is one of those DLmen who will be overhyped just as Robert Ayers was a couple of years ago. I remember people crying for him left and right, Mayock saying he was the best player in the draft, blah, blah, blah. I looked at him on tape and his production throughout college and didn't see anything that special. I thought he would make a solid LDE in a 4-3 and could replace Kelsay at the time, but wasn't that high on him. He's been relatively obscure in Denver. Stay away from Coples.

There is another DE in the ACC that I do like and think may be a steal for someone on day 2 of the draft. He plays DE right now, but has the size and athleticism to be a 3-4 OLB. Andre Branch of Clemson has been a standout performer this year and his big games were against good competition. He's also improved every season. Here's his stat line for the year courtesy of ESPN http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/238229/andre-branch Watch him against WVU in the Orange Bowl. He's not as hyped as some of the rest, but I think he is going to be a good player at the NFL level.

Edited by H2o

Inconsistent effort is a huge turnoff for me when hearing a prospect described. If a guy can't get motivated by the chance to earn millions of dollars, why would he be more motivated with millions in the bank?

People hate the term high motor but I'd rather have that type of player than superior athlete who needs to be pushed. I don't think any of the Bama players need to be pushed.