McShay's First Mock -- 1.0

The AntiFin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mathieu declares (and I guess so far there is no indication he will) go for him. If one of the top three qb's is available, go for them. If we are tenth, the mock draft looks pretty realistic and a first rate OT is a good pick for us in a necessary area.

If we are looking at our MAJOR area of weakness a stud linebacker or franchise d back is the way to go. i think the first five picks should be setting the trenches as a first priority.

From Insider's Scout page on Reiff:

"...Plead guilty to misdemeanor counts of public intoxication and interference with official acts in July of 2009. Officers reportedly found him undressing and acting disoriented in an alley when he ran into a nearby kitchen. Pursuit reportedly lasted 20 minutes and involved eight officers."

I don't want visuals of O-linemen undressing. But hey, at least he didn't steal $20 from a woman at T.G.I. Friday's. :thumbsup:

Classes hadn't even started for his freshman year, hard to really hold it against him:

Reiff's career in Iowa City got off to a rough start, as he found himself in trouble with the law before classes even began his first year on campus. His arrest for public intoxication and leading police on a 20-minute chase on foot was long forgotten, however, once the tall, agile Reiff started making his impact on the field. Now scouts will be the ones chasing him whenever he decides to leave school for the NFL.

He earned multiple Freshman All-American notice for his play in 2009, as he started 11 of 13 games at left tackle, left guard, and right tackle as the Hawkeyes suffered injuries along the line. Reiff's experience put him in the coveted left tackle spot vacated by first-round pick Bryan Bulaga in 2010, and he responded by playing nearly every snap on the season and garnering second-team All-Big Ten honors.

Unlike Bulaga, however, there is little doubt that Reiff can play left tackle at the next level. He does have to improve his hand placement and lower-body strength to handle NFL-caliber defenders, but given his athleticism, tenacity in the run game, and relative youth, teams will have no problems projecting him as a solid first round prospect with considerable upside

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695597/riley-reiff

If Mathieu declares (and I guess so far there is no indication he will) go for him.

Can he? Isn't he a true sophomore?

If Mathieu declares (and I guess so far there is no indication he will) go for him. If one of the top three qb's is available, go for them. If we are tenth, the mock draft looks pretty realistic and a first rate OT is a good pick for us in a necessary area.

If we are looking at our MAJOR area of weakness a stud linebacker or franchise d back is the way to go. i think the first five picks should be setting the trenches as a first priority.

I've seen numerous people tell you that Honey Badger is a sophmore and isn't even eligible for the draft this year.

We are not taking a tackle ....Outside of injuries we had an offensive line that had openned up lanes the NFL leading rusher...and gave up the least amount of sacks.... we will draft DE,OLB or WR....

Zach Brown .... if we go defense

Very good point on the offensive line! Draft a quarterback or two and spend the rest of the draft on defense. I remember the JETS drafting 2 quarterbacks a few years back. Ok I lied, it wasn't a few years back. It was 65 I believe. One won the Heisman Trophy, Johnny Huarte was his name and the other was a loud mouth kid from Alabama named Namath. Four years later one of them had the audacity to predict a Super Bowl win. MY point, if you need a position or positions go for it and don't play around! This not rocket science. Yes it is sometimes hit and miss but if you double up you can improve your chances. Oh by the way the JETS haven't tried that formula since then and haven't been to super bowl either, just a coincidence I bet. PS......... This formula can apply to any position. Just an idea for Buddy and Company.

I would.

We don't really want to see poor DT Spencer Johnson trying to play OLB again, do we??

And agree with previous that Bills will still slide up higher, at which point a top QB will be an option.

In a competent front office you should be able to get starters in the first 3 rounds. If there's no top 10 talent at OLB, you've got to pick someplace else and get your OLB in 2 and 3.

I think McShay is off on this. We have servicable starters (at best) at OT, but we have a crying need at OLB.

i think you will change your mind after this weeks game vs denver and you see how Miller and Elvis just run by Pears and Bell with ease

Bills need a legit LT...i understand they need LBs too but i dont think you pass on a legit LT that can start for the next decade

I really like Nick Foles from Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 QB's go in the Top-15 picks or so. He doesn't get the hype of the other 1st round QB prospects since he is never on TV, but he can play. That said, I don't think a left tackle would be a horrible pick. As we've seen, you can never have enough good offensive linemen.

Who is the top rated outside linebacker?

Remember, McShay liked the Maybin pick. Said he had great upside. :oops:

And as I see his performance with the Jets, McShay was not too far off from the truth was he? I mean, Maybin is no Peppers but given some time and coaching he has at least started showing good results. And that is the definition of 'upside'

Edited by Fan in Chicago

i think you will change your mind after this weeks game vs denver and you see how Miller and Elvis just run by Pears and Bell with ease

Bills need a legit LT...i understand they need LBs too but i dont think you pass on a legit LT that can start for the next decade

Agreed!

Bell, Pears, and Hairston are good players. But as your OT group, they are one or two injuries away from disaster.

Whereas Reiff, Bell, Pears, and Hairston are now a SOLID Tackle group that promotes competition at the position, and solid depth for an oft injured position.

It just depends who is on the board when we pick. Top Tier OT or Top Tier OLB, we cant go wrong with either. And we cant fill every hole with 1 pick, or even 1 draft. But we're getting there. Slowly and surely.

We are not taking a tackle ....Outside of injuries we had an offensive line that had openned up lanes the NFL leading rusher...and gave up the least amount of sacks.... we will draft DE,OLB or WR....

Zach Brown .... if we go defense

Your reasoning against taking a tackle is spot on, therefore, we are taking a tackle. Build a premier offensive line to protect a bottom-third QB and a RB that wants to bounce it all outside anyway. Perfect!

Agreed!

Bell, Pears, and Hairston are good players. But as your OT group, they are one or two injuries away from disaster.

Whereas Reiff, Bell, Pears, and Hairston are now a SOLID Tackle group that promotes competition at the position, and solid depth for an oft injured position.

It just depends who is on the board when we pick. Top Tier OT or Top Tier OLB, we cant go wrong with either. And we cant fill every hole with 1 pick, or even 1 draft. But we're getting there. Slowly and surely.

In a scenario where they draft an LT with their #1 pick I think Bell is out the door.

In a scenario where they draft an LT with their #1 pick I think Bell is out the door.

I can see your point, but I feel that would be a mistake and a step backwards. We should be able to sign Bell for a reasonable sum. Gotta keep those types of players while improving the position. It's the only way to build talent and depth.

I know you know this already, it's just a matter of if the Bills do...

Very good point on the offensive line! Draft a quarterback or two and spend the rest of the draft on defense. I remember the JETS drafting 2 quarterbacks a few years back. Ok I lied, it wasn't a few years back. It was 65 I believe. One won the Heisman Trophy, Johnny Huarte was his name and the other was a loud mouth kid from Alabama named Namath. Four years later one of them had the audacity to predict a Super Bowl win. MY point, if you need a position or positions go for it and don't play around! This not rocket science. Yes it is sometimes hit and miss but if you double up you can improve your chances. Oh by the way the JETS haven't tried that formula since then and haven't been to super bowl either, just a coincidence I bet. PS......... This formula can apply to any position. Just an idea for Buddy and Company.

I'd like to add a comment here: as much as people claim a bad draft can set a team back for years, I often wonder the contrary - if you think about it, a team like Buffalo, go back three or four years, and just take away the whole draft - would we be too much worse for it now? It's possible we might even be BETTER! - if F.A.'s were had to replace what we didn't get in the draft. Now, take that imagined draft and replace it - the whole thing - with a real Franchise QB. Now, would we be better off now? I say yes.

My point is, as the post that I've highlighted suggests, there are some positions on an NFL team you have to make urgent priorities. Would it really set the Bills back years if they spent all their resources this offseason drafting just QB''s and LB's? Think about it... say they traded their whole draft for an Andrew Luck - I know it couldn't happen - but hypothetically, we'd be out the other picks for that year, but we'd have the QB position locked up for 10-15 years. We go out in F.A. and get a couple LB's, a Tackle, a WR or two - maybe a corner - and I think that would put us further ahead than guessing on draft picks at other positions and missing out on a Franchise QB again. Or, taking two or three QB's and three to five LB's - I know, that sounds nuts, using the whole draft that way, but odds are they'd find what they needed, and next offseason they'd have less needs.

Crazy, unrealistic, but somewhere there is a kernal of wisdom in this - I think it is that a team must find players at certain positions and build out from there, instead of mixing and matching every year, never finding the right combination, and always ending up drafting in the Out Of The Playoffs to Just Missed A QB range.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Your reasoning against taking a tackle is spot on, therefore, we are taking a tackle. Build a premier offensive line to protect a bottom-third QB and a RB that wants to bounce it all outside anyway. Perfect!

Bottom third QB? Who's that?

And yes, Fred Jackson does bounce every single run outside. Damn that guy. Spiller blows too. He hasn't been making good cuts after going right up the gut.

We're getting an OLB or a WR. If i'm wrong thats solely because they select the BPA.

Relax guys, the Bills have two games to go and will finish worse then the 10th pick :bag:

I agree with that, I could see us beating Denver this weekend at home. I doubt we beat the Patriots again so I think we are pretty safe there.

We also need OLBs to set the edge. Willis McGahee et al will be running by Kelsay and whoever else lines up at OLB with ease.