Is Fitz really that bad?

Jerry Jabber

Fitz is not a "winner". When times got tough this year, he wilted. Some people will defend him, but he does not resemble a QB who will take us to the Super Bowl. If the right QB is available in the draft at the right spot, we probably take him.

They also gave up 450+ yards all those games and dug holes of 20+ points two games. The wins were in spite of the defense, not because of it.

That's impossible. How can a team win a football game and some fan claim that half the entire squad didn't contribute to the outcome. That is ridiculous logic.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Fitz cant carry the load like Brady or Rodgers. I think Gailey is putting to much of the load on Fitz which to me is not fair .

I would like to see a run first offense. I think the team is better suited for it. If we had another TE to go with Chandler we could run a 2 TE formation and still pass from it.

The spread offense is ok if you have a legit deep threat which we don't have at the moment. Teams have been taking away the routes that were successful in the beginning of the year and it seems that Gailey wont change. This puts Fitz at a disadvantage because his strong suit is those quick slants. Having said that you would expect him to be able to make all the throws anywhere on the field.

Fitz can win you games but we need another WR that can go deep to open up the Defense. I would give Fitz another year. He did not play this bad last year. He has not been the same since Fletcher tagged his ass in Toronto. Maybe he is playing hurt we don't know.

I think with a change in game planning that is heavy on the run(with a healthy Jackson ofcourse and CJ) will help Fitz be better.

I know a lot of people are down on the Bills (including me), and people have been questioning Fitz's play since his contract extension. Granted, the team has sucked since the Toronto game. I don't know if Fitz has been playing hurt since getting nailed by London Fletcher. IMO, Fitz is a good QB and needs more weapons around him. Fred Jackson is 50% of the offense. The other legitmate weapons Fitz has are Stevie Johnson & Scott Chandler. If you compare the stats of Jim Kelly's 3 best years with Buffalo, with Fitz stats of this year, Fitz is not that far off. It's possible Fitz could beat Kelly's highest yards in a season. Right now, Fitz is at 3,329, with 2 games to go. Kelly had 3,844 in 1991, with a much better Bills offense.

IMO, I think in order for the Bills offense to be successful, they need to draft a good #2 WR (assuming they resign Johnson) and another TE to compliment Chandler. If the Bills could get a good TE combo, like NE has with Hernandez & Gronkowski, along with 2 good WR's & Jackson & Spiller in the backfield, then the Bills will have a successful offense. I think Fitz is a good journeyman QB and should be the starter for the next 2-3 years, while Boss Hogg & Cooter fill the holes on the team, and create depth.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jimkelly/2501579/profile

Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

1991 Buffalo Bills 15 15 304 474 64.1 3,844 8.1 33 17 31 227 97.6 20 45 2.3 1 6 0

1986 Buffalo Bills 16 -- 285 480 59.4 3,593 7.5 22 17 43 330 83.3 41 199 4.9 0 -- --

1992 Buffalo Bills 16 16 269 462 58.2 3,457 7.5 23 19 20 145 81.2 31 53 1.7 1 8 4

Fitz's stats:

2011 Buffalo Bills 14 14 309 496 62.3 3,329 6.7 22 19 19 132 80.8 48 157 3.3 0 7 2

Different eras.

Stats like Kelly's are no more than average these days.

Yes - Fitz is pretty bad.

If he doesn't turn it around the last two weeks his QB rating will sink below 80 again and that isn't good.

Yeah...he is. He has no consistency going deep, which teams are making him do. Stats aside, who would you rather have walk into your huddle in a 4 point game? You can spin the stats any way you like, but comparing Fitz to Kelly is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche, IMO.

1324520203[/url]' post='2342528']

They also gave up 450+ yards all those games and dug holes of 20+ points two games. The wins were in spite of the defense, not because of it.

Yep and they also forced four interceptions each game and turned 2 into tds that were the difference in each game. Helping fitz get the wins.

Fitz may not be a good NFL QB - but he is one of the few QBs that can actually produce in Buffalo - at least on a part time basis.

Fitz has the ability to get rid of the ball very quickly - which is the only way the OL has looked somewhat functional.

Any traditional QB will get killed behind this OL because neither OT can block worth a dam and now we have no center, either.

A rookie QB would be a complete joke, since his confidence would be destroyed before the end of year 1, if he wasn't permanently injured.

Fitz may not be a good NFL QB - but he is one of the few QBs that can actually produce in Buffalo - at least on a part time basis.

Fitz has the ability to get rid of the ball very quickly - which is the only way the OL has looked somewhat functional.

Any traditional QB will get killed behind this OL because neither OT can block worth a dam and now we have no center, either.

A rookie QB would be a complete joke, since his confidence would be destroyed before the end of year 1, if he wasn't permanently injured.

So, "not good" QBs can win in Buffalo because we have poor OL which allows bad QB to succeed due to hair-trigger release. Cool! We have found a loophole while the rest of the league is searching for quality QB play.

I think a young QB that can run to stay alive and improvise could work until the line gets better. It would also help if he was big and hard to bring down. Cam Newton is an example of a big guy with mobility. RG3 isn't as big but he is very mobile.

People like to dream about Peyton Manning coming to Buffalo if the Colts cut him. That would never happen for many reasons, but even if it did a pocket passer would definitely get killed with the way the O-line is at this point. Tom Brady also couldn't survive on the Bills for the same reasons.

Get a young, mobile QB, and let him run for his life for a year or two. Meanwhile, work on improving the blocking so that when he gets a little older and/or more banged up, he doesn't have to run for his life as much. I think that's more or less what happened in Green Bay with Rogers.

So, "not good" QBs can win in Buffalo because we have poor OL which allows bad QB to succeed due to hair-trigger release. Cool! We have found a loophole while the rest of the league is searching for quality QB play.

I'm sure tjhis never occurred to you, but ever wonder why the Bills offense is limited to throwing 5 yards passes

it could be because that's all the time Fitz has before he gets killed

The Bills can not run a real NFL offense- you know with 10+ yard passes, because their OL is inept.

You are wasting the typing trying to convince Bills fans its not ALL the QB's fault. I think everyone but a few recall what the and O line looked like last season once Wood went on IR. Its bad enough that he could only throw 3 step drops when Wood was healthy, with Wood gone its like a jailbreak.

Fitz would be a better QB if he had better talent around him, and a HC that would set up a decent game plan. Its like Gailey thinks he has Joe M behind center, pass pass pass.

He needs to run the ball to setup the pass, use play action once the run is working, and use the TE more often as the primary receiver.

:devil:

Fitz is 12th in yards this season. So, if we extend the OP's logic, there are 11 other QB's that are worthy of comparison to Jim Kelly, including Joe Flacco and Cam Newton.

And i'm reasonably certain that "good journeyman qb" is an oxymoronic phrase. I realize true statistics and comparison to contemporary peers makes it impossible for us to morph our wishes into delusional reality, but it still may prove a useful exercise:

Fitz has played double-digit games the past 4 seasons (including this one):

2011 Season: 20th QB Rating and 1st with 19 interceptions (14 games)

2010 Season: 22nd QB Rating (13 games)

2009 Season: 26th QB Rating (10 games)

2008 Season: 31st QB Rating (13 games)

I can hazard a guess that his 2008 performance is why Cincinnati let him go. Most teams in the NFL seem to base personnel decisions on empirical/video evidence. Lucky for Fitz, our beloved bills are not logic slaves.

I don't think it's justifiable to attribute his usual less than mediocre play this season on a lack of weapons (and, incidentally, nobody without the last name of Chandler calls Scott Chandler a weapon). Last year Fitz was given the opportunity to be inaccurate with Lee and Stevie and Fred was along for the ride. Quarterbacks make weapons out of receivers; not the other way around.

Sweet! According to those stats by the year 2015, Fitz will be among the league's leaders in overall rating. :devil: