My Fantast Draft - here's my team

Ok guys, so my fantasy football draft was last night. It ended up being 14 teams. We play each week head to head, and you must start: 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1K, 1Defense. I had the #5 overall pick. With our system, we go back and forth, so whoever had the #1 pick also had the 29th pick (and then the 30th and 43rd, and so on, etc). So, I had the #5 pick. Picks 1-4 were Thomlinson, Holmes, Ahman Green and McAllister. With my first overall, I had to, just had to vere away from the remaining RB's and go with Mr Manning (Peyton, that is). And here is the rest of my team.

5: Peyton Manning

24: Travis Henry (needed a back badly at this point)

33: L. Coles (my worst pick of the draft, just think I should have gone RB again)

52: Quentin Griffin

61: Plaxico Burris

80: M. Vanderjagt (early for a kicker, but he gets decent points every single week)

89: Bubba Franks (needed to go TE soon, and the big guns were gone)

108:Defense of the Dallas Cowboys

117:M. Booker (what I like to call the steal of the draft. Sure, he's with Mia, but 117th??)

136:Antowain "Frigging" Smith. (I dont wanna talk about it. I needed a backup RB)

145:Tommy Maddox (Another Steal in my opinion. Only need him for 1 game - Peyton's BYE)

164:Travis Minor (Can't believe no one, including myself, nabbed him before 164)

173:A. Becht (just backups folks)

192:Billy Cundiff (by this point, i was drunk and didnt care)

201:Pittsburghs Defense

Ok, let's hear it

You had Alexander and Portis available in the first and you didn't pick them, WOW.

Coles will be good and obviously Manning will be good. Other then that, you should start scanning the waiver wire often. I believe you are in a lot of trouble this year.

5: Peyton Manning

I would have never taken Manning. You could have had Portis, Jamal Lewis or Shawn Alexander! My personal philosophy is to draft QB's low, but maybe that's just me.

I like it. Let's hope Willis doesn't steal goal line carries.

33: L. Coles (my worst pick of the draft, just think I should have gone RB again)

I think your next three picks were great. You got Burris at 61! That's absurdly late--I think he's going to have a monster season in his contract year (e.g., 10+ TD's).

As for the rest of your team, Franks could be great if he returns to his TD-catching form of a few years ago. Guys like Booker, Antowain Smith and Becht are perennial fantasy disappointments. Overall, I think it's a solid team--but better if you had a backfield of Portis and Henry, instead of Henry and Griffin/Minor.

Good luck!

You could have taken Portis at 5 and probably Hassleback at 33 (if you were bent on drafting a QB early), and any number of quality WR at 52.

As someone said, you can't win a FF leauge in the first three rounds of your draft, but you sure can lose one.

Ok guys, so my fantasy football draft was last night. It ended up being 14 teams. We play each week head to head, and you must start: 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1K, 1Defense.  I had the #5 overall pick. With our system, we go back and forth, so whoever had the #1 pick also had the 29th pick (and then the 30th and 43rd, and so on, etc). So, I had the #5 pick.  Picks 1-4 were Thomlinson, Holmes, Ahman Green and McAllister. With my first overall, I had to, just had to vere away from the remaining RB's and go with Mr Manning (Peyton, that is). And here is the rest of my team.

5:  Peyton Manning

80: M. Vanderjagt (early for a kicker, but he gets decent points every single week)

89: Bubba Franks (needed to go TE soon, and the big guns were gone)

108:Defense of the Dallas Cowboys

117:M. Booker (what I like to call the steal of the draft. Sure, he's with Mia, but 117th??)

136:Antowain "Frigging" Smith. (I dont wanna talk about it. I needed a backup RB)

145:Tommy Maddox (Another Steal in my opinion. Only need him for 1 game - Peyton's BYE)

164:Travis Minor (Can't believe no one, including myself, nabbed him before 164)

173:A. Becht (just backups folks)

192:Billy Cundiff (by this point, i was drunk and didnt care)

201:Pittsburghs Defense

Ok, let's hear it

12772[/snapback]

I like your first pick, but not much else. Coles, Smith and Minor are wasted picks IMO.

#5 overall pick and you went QB? Gotta go RB with that pick. 2 solid RBs are the key to winning any league. Maybe next year.

12845[/snapback]

wow... maybe next year? That's a little harsh. This is the third year of this league. I understand the scoring system, and at the position i was in, knowing i had the #5 and didnt pick again till #24, I felt Peyton was the best choice, and I still do. I have Henry. And I think what I lost in RB points (from say a J Lewis to Henry) will be LESS than what I would have lost by getting a Hasselback or similar player instead of Peyton.

Remember, 14 teams, the talent level thins quickly, but I knew my first pick would get critiqued. I stand by it ... for now.

I am very pleased, however with getting Plaxico where I did, and Marty Booker and Travis Minor LATE.

We'll see.

Dude you did great considering it's a 14 team league.......

Think about it this way.

He still has two starting RB's in Henry and Minor with Peyton at QB, Coles and Burress at WR, Franks at TE and Dallas D.

That's a darn good team.

Drafting QB's so early is questionable b/c you can get production out of picks in lower rounds. That being said any team that has peyton on it scares me when I play them that week b/c you never know if he's going to throw for 5 TD's and 400 yards.

Nice job.

RB's are important....but this isn't the last 6 years boys.

You don't know who is going to produce and who isn't.

What makes you think that the line in Washington is going to be able to hold up for Portis????

Shaun Alexander is very inconsistent. He may put up big numbers in some games but others he will produce like Emmit Smith.

#5 pick leave you with at least another 5 top tier RBs to pick from. I would definately have taken a risk on Jamal Lewis at #5, but the sensible pick would have been Portis.

If you had to go with a QB at 5 Peyton is the obvious choice - I would only have considered McNabb as an alternative.

Travis makes a good fantasy backup this year with the injury and fumble history and the potential emergence of Willis in Goalline situations. I would not rely on him to make #1 RB fantasy numbers this year.

The rest of your picks look solid to me from Booker up to Coles. I think you'll see average performance from Griffen - enough to be your #2 back and Burress was a steal that low down. The rest are backup fodder.

I'd expect an early playoff loss....

whoops....got the coffee shakes and hit the wrong button....

1. Jamal

2. Dillon

3. Henry

4. Bulger

5. Price, Peerless

6. Warrick

7. Porter

8. Fitzgerald

9. Mili

10. Bills D

Because of my picks there wasn't any top tier WR's left....so I took Henry to assist in the bye weeks.

Corey is going to have a huge year IMO.

I posted this in your other thread:

I usually do not say this in critiquing other folks draft, but you are screwed! LOL! You should not have taken Payton that early. With the #5 you could have picked up ports, alexander, james, or SOMEBODY. Qb's are a dime a dozen (in fantasy value terms).

So you sacrifced a huge value drafting slot for a low value position. Big mistake. Is this your first fantasy draft?

To see how it is done - look at my post in the fantasy forum.

wow... maybe next year? That's a little harsh. This is the third year of this league. I understand the scoring system, and at the position i was in, knowing i had the #5 and didnt pick again till #24, I felt Peyton was the best choice, and I still do. I have Henry. And I think what I lost in RB points (from say a J Lewis to Henry) will be LESS than what I would have lost by getting a Hasselback or similar player instead of Peyton.

Remember, 14 teams, the talent level thins quickly, but I knew my first pick would get critiqued. I stand by it ... for now.

I am very pleased, however with getting Plaxico where I did, and Marty Booker and Travis Minor LATE.

We'll see.

12851[/snapback]

A little harsh yes, but true. ESPN had a nice stat in their magazine this past issue regarding what many already knew about fantasy ball. The difference between the number 2 QB and the number 10 QB last year was about 13%. The difference between the number 2 RB and number 10 RB was 39%. RBs win championships in fantasy land. Plain and simple. Sorry.

To see how it's done....give me a break.

Stevestojan you are fine. With Mike Anderson being out for the season Q is probably going to get the workload anyways and so is Minor. You have three great backs and Peyton. Peyton can put up numbers just like any RB.

I typically draft RB's high and so does everyone else...but I think you've got enough quality RB's to make a run.

Now if you took a WR I would have been on your case...but you did fine.

BTW...I won my 14 team league last year b/c I had Jamal and LT. Brooks was my QB. The guy who came in second had Peyton and Harrison and no "great backs"

A little harsh yes, but true. ESPN had a nice stat in their magazine this past issue regarding what many already knew about fantasy ball. The difference between the number 2 QB and the number 10 QB last year was about 13%. The difference between the number 2 RB and number 10 RB was 39%. RBs win championships in fantasy land. Plain and simple. Sorry.

12900[/snapback]

Excellent Point, Stojan you'll have to keep us posted as to how well this theory works...