Right Wing Hero Targeted By Justice Department

http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/arizona_dangerous_169.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/31/signs-in-arizona-warn-of-smuggler-dangers/?page=all

http://ghost32.hubpages.com/hub/Ugly-Arizona

Now isn't that just a shame that the right wing hero is trying to make a difference and do the f'n federal governments job since they won't do it themselves. Dumb in Norfolk just keeps getting dumber.

First of all this is one the most poorly written articles I have seen in a while. Either the writer is incompetent, or, they are intentionally trying to distort things here. It's impossible to tell if they actually found anything, or not. At no time does it actually say WTF they actually found, and can prove, that actually violates constitutional rights of American citizens. This is a civil rights case, right?

Then at the end, they say this:

The Justice Department said it hadn't yet established a pattern of alleged wrongdoing by the sheriff's office in the three areas where they will continue to investigation: complaints of excessive force against Latinos, botched sex-crimes cases and immigration efforts that have hurt the agency's trust with the Hispanic community.

WTF? That's all the stuff in the article above that was supposedly in the report. :wacko: How do you establish a pattern of alleged wrongdoing? Don't you just establish a pattern of wrongdoing? Sending f'ing emails is not a civil rights violation, and neither is yelling at inmates, or putting them in solitary for discipline problems.

OTOH, the first time I saw this guy on TV, I laughed my ass off. The pink unis, and the tents, and the $1 a day for meals, all of it seemed funny, and also told me "don't get arrested there". I thought it was a creative way to actual make jail a deterrent. However, the 10th time I saw this guy on TV, I started to think: it seems he's enjoying this too much. If any of this trash heap of an article is true, it's too bad, because this seems like one more case of overreach. He had a good thing going, he should have enjoyed his 15 minutes and left it there.

OTOH, I am of course suspicious of this Justice Department, particularly when they have been exposed so many times already. Especially on matters of civil rights, as in "we won't do any cases involving white people", this group has been sketchy at best.

And, I am supposed to believe that a guy with a last name of Perez, who is a political appointee of this administration, in charge of civil rights, has no axe to grind regarding illegal immigration?

So thank you Dave, now I am completely confused by this article, and I have no idea what to think. We'll have to wait and see.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Further evidence of the ridiculousness of this article:

"Arpaio's own actions have helped nurture MCSO's culture of bias," wrote Thomas Perez, who heads the Justice Department's civil rights division, adding that the sheriff frequently gave such racially charged letters to some of his top aides and saved them in his own files.

What letters? This is the 7th paragraph. There is nothing about letters above it, (edit: or upon further inspection, below it.)

What are the chances that English is not the first language of this AP reporter?

What are the chances that this is a load of crap? The more times I read the article, the more sketchy it is.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Ok, I've given up trying to find an unbiased, reasonably written, non-editorial news article about this.

We'll just have to wait and see if Arpaio actually gets indicted for something.

But, to borrow a comment I saw at the Washington Post version of the article above: it's awfully sketchy that the head of the division, is leaking his own report, before he releases it, before he indicts anybody, and before the grand jury says a word.

I thought prosecutors never said a word about an ongoing investigation? Where's the lawyers here? Is this normal?

Ok, I've given up trying to find an unbiased, reasonably written, non-editorial news article about this.

We'll just have to wait and see if Arpaio actually gets indicted for something.

But, to borrow a comment I saw at the Washington Post version of the article above: it's awfully sketchy that the head of the division, is leaking his own report, before he releases it, before he indicts anybody, and before the grand jury says a word.

I thought prosecutors never said a word about an ongoing investigation? Where's the lawyers here? Is this normal?

The first part of this article gives some additional info---very interesting.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ArizonaSheriff-CivilRights/2011/12/15/id/421103?s=al&promo_code=DB9B-1

Then it states

If the sheriff's office doesn't turn around its policies and practices, the federal government could pull millions of dollars of federal funding.

What? So, is this multimillion dollar investigation nothing more than just a bully tactic?

Maybe the investigation should be investigated.

Secretary Janet Napolitano said Thursday the department is ending an agreement with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office that allowed trained deputies to enforce immigration laws.

Wait just a god damned minute...local sherrifs need Federal approval to enforce federal law? When the !@#$ did this go into effect?

Wait just a god damned minute...local sherrifs need Federal approval to enforce federal law? When the !@#$ did this go into effect?

It would appear to me that the whole investigation thing was just a pretense to do away with the county's right to make immigration arrests. The Feds have been fighting upholding the law that they are legally bound to uphold. Hell, they didn't even try to do anything with the Black Panthers and their voter intimidation in Philadelphia.

Most news on this has said that Sheriff Joe is guilty of 'racial profiling'. It would be difficult to come up with a dumber, more ridiculous charge considering what nation(s) border Arizona to the south.

Of course the illegal aliens in Arizona are overwhelmingly Latino. This is a prime example of just how politicized, dishonest and corrupt our so-called Justice Dept. and entire federal government have become.

Sheriff Joe responds: I'm no 'whipping boy' for Justice Department

Phoenix - Sheriff Joe Arpaio said a scathing U.S. Justice Department report about his office's law enforcement tactics against Latinos marks "a sad day for America as a whole." Billed as America's toughest sheriff, Arpaio struck a defiant tone at a Thursday afternoon news conference in response to the report, which he called a politically motivated attack by the Obama administration that will make Arizona unsafe

If he was arresting and detaining American citizens he belongs in jail

Just imagine the horror of police officers arresting and detaining American citizens!!! :lol:

Most news on this has said that Sheriff Joe is guilty of 'racial profiling'.

Gee, remember when that was knows as 'good policework'?

Edited by KD in CT

• 8 months later...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/31/13597578-feds-end-probe-of-americas-toughest-sheriff-joe-arpaio-no-charges?lite

The federal government has closed a criminal probe of alleged financial misconduct by Arizona lawman Joe Arpaio, who styles himself as "America's toughest sheriff," and no charges will be filed, the U.S. Attorney's Office said on Friday.

A separate federal investigation relating to allegations of civil rights abuses by Arpaio's office is continuing. 

The announcement on Friday marked the end of an investigation that began in November 2010 at the behest of the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors to examine alleged financial improprieties by the county sheriff and his deputies.

A federal criminal inquiry into several of those matters was concluded last summer with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona declining to initiate criminal charges.