Is Ralph or other people in the Bills FO racist?

mike oxhurtz

This is going to be a controversial topic, I know, but I was wondering when the last time a non-white Bills player got a big contract extension?

We've seen players like Schobel, Kelsay, Fitzpatrick and K. Williams (he definitely deserved it) all get good contract extensions. But, they couldn't give extensions to Jason Peters, let Jabari Greer walk, Antoine Winfield, and now Stevie Johnson (as contract talks broke off, because the team couldn't come close on numbers with Johnson's camp).

Is this just a coincedence or is someone (or some people) not willing to pay non-white Bills players a large payday?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You conveniently forgot to mention the huge contract extension Lee Evans was given a couple of years ago, and the ridiculous free contracts given to two black offensive lineman in Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker.

This is going to be a controversial topic, I know, but I was wondering when the last time a non-white Bills player got a big contract extension?

We've seen players like Schobel, Kelsay, Fitzpatrick and K. Williams (he definitely deserved it) all get good contract extensions. But, they couldn't give extensions to Jason Peters, let Jabari Greer walk, Antoine Winfield, and now Stevie Johnson (as contract talks broke off, because the team couldn't come close on numbers with Johnson's camp).

Is this just a coincedence or is someone (or some people) not willing to pay non-white Bills players a large payday?

this is dumb. actually, it's worse than dumb. though, really, what would you expect from poster with such a infantile tag.

jw

1) The Bills FO hasn't shown any inklings toward racism.

2) However, I do believe there are certain racial undertones to how players are perceived. With myriad exceptions of course, white players are "high motor" and black players are "talented" - the implication being that white players are inherently behind the eight-ball in terms of physical ability, and black players are similarly hamstrung with character issues.

When Cam Newton's future was discussed after the draft, I kept seeing comparisons to Jamarcus Russell, of all people. I wonder why...

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I was told once by a marketing person that the only color they care about at one Bills drive was green- basically he said race isn't a issue but player popularity may be a factor (read we aren't racist but Buffalo might be) also it might be that more white players enjoy the small town rural feeling (hunting, fishing, and so on)and are willing to come to terms a little easier.

I was told once by a marketing person that the only color they care about at one Bills drive was green- basically he said race isn't a issue but player popularity may be a factor (read we aren't racist but Buffalo might be) also it might be that more white players enjoy the small town rural feeling (hunting, fishing, and so on)and are willing to come to terms a little easier.

Lol...so black dudes don't like the outdoors?

I can't comprehend why Kelsay has gotten a free pass on this team for so long other than the front office loves him. And I mean Ralph, Overdorf, Littman, etc. who have been here over the years. No team should accept mediocrity like that.

And Peters was run out of town when he asked for money as a grossly underpaid pro bowl Left Tackle, but Schobel had 3 years left on his deal and was given a huge contract extension.

Freddy and Stevie are this team's best players, yet we chose to reward Fitzpatrick and Pears first this year. Freddy literally carries this team on his back for the beginning of the season, and we sit on our hands when he asks for a raise.

Call it racism, call it stupidity, call it whatever you want. As a fan, I don't like it one bit. On top of that, we've been a perpetually bad team and yet we're WAY under the salary cap. This front office has been disgraceful to its incredibly loyal fan base.

In the short term the guy has a point...

Kelsay, Fitz, Williams, and now Pears. Meanwhile Fred and Stevie are on the back burner. When you look at the ratio of African American players vs white players, seems a little odd.

Kelsay, Fitz, Williams, and now Pears. Meanwhile Fred and Stevie are on the back burner. When you look at the ratio of African American players vs white players, seems a little odd.

Ok, one more time...

The Bills have approached Stevie and Freddie. It is Stevie's camp and Freddie's camp that decided to wait until after the season. It takes two to tango.

The Bills approached Jackson in preseason during the "starter controversy". He chose to wait.

The Bills were in talks with Johnson, but when talks stalled, Johnson's camp pulled out. He chose to wait.

This was all widely reported and Buddy talked about it in his post-Fitz signing interview.

I can't comprehend why Kelsay has gotten a free pass on this team for so long other than the front office loves him. And I mean Ralph, Overdorf, Littman, etc. who have been here over the years. No team should accept mediocrity like that.

And Peters was run out of town when he asked for money as a grossly underpaid pro bowl Left Tackle, but Schobel had 3 years left on his deal and was given a huge contract extension.

Freddy and Stevie are this team's best players, yet we chose to reward Fitzpatrick and Pears first this year. Freddy literally carries this team on his back for the beginning of the season, and we sit on our hands when he asks for a raise.

Call it racism, call it stupidity, call it whatever you want. As a fan, I don't like it one bit. On top of that, we've been a perpetually bad team and yet we're WAY under the salary cap. This front office has been disgraceful to its incredibly loyal fan base.

This is exactly what I was referring to.

"Call it racism, call it stupidity, call it whatever you want. As a fan, I don't like it one bit. On top of that, we've been a perpetually bad team and yet we're WAY under the salary cap. This front office has been disgraceful to its incredibly loyal fan base." :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fred has another year on his contract, and is on the back side of 30. Stevie has been incredibly inconsistent this year and has had a good number of game winning/changing drops, a few injuries, and one week of very bad publicity, and is probably trying to ask for quality #1 WR money because he is the #1 WR on the team, no matter how his stats match up with other #1 WR's in the league.

Also saw in this post about the Cam Newton/ J. Russel comparisons. Both QB's were known for their rushing and passing numbers in college, and they both had questionable pasts at some point in time. Thats where the comparisons were, not just because they're black QB's. Have their been any white QB's in recent past that have been top picks and were known for almost even rushing and passing numbers in college other than His Tebowness?

Also saw in this post about the Cam Newton/ J. Russel comparisons. Both QB's were known for their rushing and passing numbers in college, and they both had questionable pasts at some point in time. Thats where the comparisons were, not just because they're black QB's. Have their been any white QB's in recent past that have been top picks and were known for almost even rushing and passing numbers in college other than His Tebowness?

The only reason to compare Russel and Newton was based in "Not Another Headcase Black Kid". Their games were NOTHING alike. Russel was NOT a runner, he was a big-gun pocket passer, the opposite of Newton's college game. Russel had 205 total rushing yards in his college career.

Pre-draft, the most common statement on Newton was "he's going to be another Russel and Young". Those 3 players have very little in common as it pertains to on-field play. The only connection is race.

No one compared Newton to Tebow, and no one compared Tebow to those other guys.

Thankfully, Newton proved all the haters wrong, and now no one has anything bad to say about RG3.

Edited by DrDareustein

Fred has another year on his contract, and is on the back side of 30. Stevie has been incredibly inconsistent this year and has had a good number of game winning/changing drops, a few injuries, and one week of very bad publicity, and is probably trying to ask for quality #1 WR money because he is the #1 WR on the team, no matter how his stats match up with other #1 WR's in the league.

Also, both Newton and Russel have big arms and are huge. He wasn't compared to Timmy because he is seen as having weak arm strength and motion.

Freddie is the heart and soul of this team on Offense that's for sure. He was having a Pro Bowl season before he got hurt and he deserves more money.

Frankly I don't see the Bills giving him a new contract, I see them giving him a Bonus for performance, due to his age and the fact that in 2 years he will likely not be playing at the level he is at now and you know the Bills they are stingy.