There's One Constant

cale

You are so right about "Bills" being run by "three headed monster". They care nothing about winning only about making money. Why else would Brandon only interview one guy for GM position. Some one Brandon and company knew would not make waves and upset Ralph by demanding more authority in making personel discisions. Until Ralph is no longer owner, "Bills Nation" will have to submit to dictators who care only about the dollar.

So how do you explain the huge contract extension for a mediocre Fitzpatrick and the recent extension for a past-his-prime Kelsay??

Great thread OP. Everything suggests the family has taken over and are setting the team up for sale. When they struggled to find a GM and HC not two years ago that was evidence enough to me that no one wanted to work for them. Given the prestige of being a NFL GM or HC, the only thing I conclude is that people know what's happening at OBD and avoid it like the plague. That is, unless you're desperate to get back into the NFL and don't mind a Jeff Littmann cutting your personnel budget and Jim Overdorf trading your players.

So what happens in 2013 when the deal sets a minimum personnel budget, effectively? Or do you think the people running the team have assumed they are done before then?

So what happens in 2013 when the deal sets a minimum personnel budget, effectively? Or do you think the people running the team have assumed they are done before then?

Are you referring to the nature of the CBA which specifies that teams must each spend a certain percentage of the cap toward player salaries? Hard to say, because it seems like they're on a succession of one year plans, all of which feature low player costs. At the same time, Forbes reported the Bills as being in the top 10 of NFL earners with 41M in profit which ranks 8th league-wide.

There's other things outstanding as well, like the RWS lease agreement with Erie County that expires before the 2013 season. All I've seen is the Bills hired a stadium architect to come up with a cost of remodeling RWS with more boxes, etc. I'm sure this will be the precursor to negotiations for extending the stadium lease which the club probably wants the government to pay for.

I think that Brandon and everyone else realizes that it's in bad taste to entertain a discussion about what will happen after his boss dies… when he's still alive and kicking (at least with one leg).

This one is almost too obvious, but at least one on this board is asking "why" Brandon won't discuss a post-Ralph organization. Not only is it in very bad taste to discuss what happens after your boss buys the farm, but how could Brandon or ANYONE ELSE outside of Ralph's own family answer any of those questions with ANY degree of certainty? Duh!

This one is almost too obvious, but at least one on this board is asking "why" Brandon won't discuss a post-Ralph organization. Not only is it in very bad taste to discuss what happens after your boss buys the farm, but how could Brandon or ANYONE ELSE outside of Ralph's own family answer any of those questions with ANY degree of certainty? Duh!

Also, it was reported somewhere a while ago that Brandon and Ralph have more of a father and son type relationship than owner/CEO. I think that would be a tough spot for Brandon to be put in. I don't hold any ill will towards Brandon. I think he's a good guy. Like the rest of the team "he's playing out of position." :flirt:

Plus in spite of all their shortcomings. Folks say the Bills organization has "class." Whatever that means. Badly run. But has class...

Sigh...

C

He very well may be contractually prohibited from discussing any of that.

I still think Ralph bears some responsibility - but the guy is on his last legs. He's entrusted the everyday running (of the non football side)of the franchise to the three headed monster of Littman, Overdorf and Brandon. If you look at the front office structure it appears the Treasurer is ahead of the CEO. That in itself should tell you something.

Littmann/Overdorf and Brandon to some extent presided over the worst period of football in Buffalo. And are constantly rewarded. Presumably because Littmann has made Ralph a lot of money.

It's not the GM, It's not the coach (I like this coach a lot, BTW - I think he's the best we've had since Marv) and it's not the QB. Though he's been awful lately, I think it will come out that he's been significantly injured since the Washington game.

A friend of mine who has been an USA Today reporter for a long time says the organization is being run into the ground by people who actively know what they're doing. Most of it is dictated by money and Ralph's kids. They want the most money possible for the franchise when Ralph dies. Anything that affects the long term bottom line of the franchise is not even up for discussion.

You can bet the cash spent on Fitz and Williams is going to be a huge issue this offseason. I think Fred Jackson is as good as gone after next season. Especially if he doesn't match this season's output.

All this to say I think we need to invest heavily on both lines this off season to be even competitive next season. But we're gonna rely on the draft to build the lines. And that is just going to screw us over next season - before we look for a new coach.

This is a very dysfunctional franchise - with no realistic long term plan. Or even short term for the matter.

Good coaching, creative offensive game planning and a healthy QB made the early part of the season for us. That and that he didn't have to hold the ball long. Once the WRs and OL got into a funk, it was over. That also masked our slightly above average DL.

But the talent and depth just isn't there to mask it anymore. For that we do need to spend and spend wisely ala Barnett.

But I don't think it's any accident that AJ and GMs of that generation are on the outs. Whaley is our only hope. That and that our FO sees the light soon or this franchise gets sold.

That's all I got.

C

Littman and Overdorf have a singular job and it is not to be Bills fans or football fans at all. It is to max out revenue for the organization. I would say they have been very successful at their jobs really.

So how do you explain the huge contract extension for a mediocre Fitzpatrick and the recent extension for a past-his-prime Kelsay??

Players contracts aren't guaranteed. I don't know how much of each of their contracts is guaranteed but I remember reading that Kyle Williams' deal had a large guaranteed sum. Shortly before he went down for the season... :wallbash:

Coaching contracts are guaranteed however. Which explains pay the players and coach with above average coaches. Not that I think Gailey is above average. I think he's very good. He's just coaching financially hamstrung.

C