Is Chris Kelsay an elite OLB?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chris Kelsay an elite OLB?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know what an elite OLB is

Since Kelsay has been a Bill longer than anyone and just had a huge contract extention last year, he MUST be considered one of the "elite" OLBs in the NFL, right? They say he has a "high motor."

Thank you. Finally, someone breaks the silence on Kelsay. The man gets no scrutiny despite being one of the longest tenured players on this team, and a supposed leader on the defensive unit which has been one of the worst in the league for the last 2 years. Its like everyone here at TBD is afraid to talk about it. You can say whatever you want about Mother Theresa, Jesus, the pope, Tim Tebow, but dare criticize Kelsay and everyone goes silent. When you sign a monster deal like Kelsay did, I think its fair to question whether or not he is indeed a hall of fame linebacker as his astronomical paycheck would suggest.

Thank you Mountainwampus for starting the conversation. It needed to be said.

Since Kelsay has been a Bill longer than anyone and just had a huge contract extention last year, he MUST be considered one of the "elite" OLBs in the NFL, right? They say he has a "high motor."

Is this an elite thread?

Thank you. Finally, someone breaks the silence on Kelsay. The man gets no scrutiny despite being one of the longest tenured players on this team, and a supposed leader on the defensive unit which has been one of the worst in the league for the last 2 years. Its like everyone here at TBD is afraid to talk about it. You can say whatever you want about Mother Theresa, Jesus, the pope, Tim Tebow, but dare criticize Kelsay and everyone goes silent. When you sign a monster deal like Kelsay did, I think its fair to question whether or not he is indeed a hall of fame linebacker as his astronomical paycheck would suggest.

Funny, I seem to recall quite the mountain of Kelsay-bashing around here, particularly last year. As I recall speculation was rife that he must have the drop on someone in the Bills organization to get the extension he got.

I also recall many the comments this year that he's playing solidly, but he is NOT an OLB and we badly need OLBs.

I do hope we're not going to be subjected to the tedium of thread after thread of inane "is such-and-such player an elite this-or-that? now

Edited by Hopeful

Is this an elite thread?

Funny, I seem to recall quite the mountain of Kelsay-bashing around here, particularly last year. As I recall speculation was rife that he must have the drop on someone in the Bills organization to get the extension he got.

I also recall many the comments this year that he's playing solidly, but he is NOT an OLB and we badly need OLBs.

I do hope we're not going to be subjected to the tedium of thread after thread of inane "is such-and-such player an elite this-or-that? now

Half the people on here hate him (myself included), but the other half think he's awesome or at least adequate. Someone even compared him to BRUCE SMITH after he hit Dalton on the "tuck rule" play. I thought a poll might clear things up, but apparently, nobody is taking this seriously.

BTW, I think it's fair to ask if a player is elite if he's given a big contract extension. We could also start one for Kyle Williams, but he actually is considered one of the elite, so why bother.

Edited by mountainwampus

Half the people on here hate him (myself included), but the other half think he's awesome or at least adequate. Someone even compared him to BRUCE SMITH after he hit Dalton on the "tuck rule" play. I thought a poll might clear things up, but apparently, nobody is taking this seriously.

If there is a poster who believes Kelsay is "awesome", please chime in. Probably no Bills fan considers him awesome.

And your suggestion that criticizing Kelsay is taboo, well, it is just nonsense.

That Kelsay more or less sucks as an OLB - it's just old news.

Agreed, everyone here was fully on board with the Kelsey extension and his play is never criticized.

BTW, I think it's fair to ask if a player is elite if he's given a big contract extension. We could also start one for Kyle Williams, but he actually is considered one of the elite, so why bother.

It's tough to tell if you're still tounge in cheek on this, but what do you consider a "big contract extension?" Kelsay's 5 year $28M contract, that he likely will never see the end of, pales in comparison to actual elite players such as Demarcus Ware (7 years $79M) or James Harrison (6 yrs $52M). So no, Kelsay is not elite (despite my vote to the contrary), nor is he being paid like an elite player (only $2M this season). http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2278/player?r=1

Edited by Carey Bender

Is this an elite thread?

:thumbsup:

My personal list?

1) DeMarcus Ware

2 Chris Kelsay

3) James Harrison

4) Arthur Moats

5) Robert Eddins

You forgot Merriman.

You forgot Maybin.

Maybin is definitely a top 6-7 OLB in the NFL but I think his play is more a function of Rex Ryan's elaborate schemes.

:thumbsup:

You forgot Merriman.

Nope. Didn't forget him either. Merriman is on the cusp of greatness and deserves strong consideration for Comeback Player of the Decade… but he's missed too much time over the last several seasons to be in the top 5.

I have Maybin and Merriman tied with Danny Batten, LaMarr Woodley, and Clay Matthews in spots 6-10. They're all elite and it's too close to call, IMO.