ON THE CUSP OF GLORY?

In 1986 I got into the NFL and had to pick a team to follow. In Eastern North Western PA it was Steelers or Browns, maybe Eagles. But I picked Buffalo, because they were 2-14 with no where to go but up. I hardly knew it at the time, but the Bills had a few things going for them:

They just picked up a smart QB from the extinct USFL named Jim Kelly. He looked like he might be good.

They fired their HC midway through the season and hired Marv Levy.

They just picked up a monster defensive lineman in the draft named Bruce Smith.

They put together a solid offensive line anchored by Center Kent Hull.

They were soon to draft a terrific RB in Thurman Thomas.

After 2-14 in 86, Bills went 7-8 then 12-4. The rest is history.

An optimist could see a lot of parallels in the 85/86 Bills and the 2010/2011 Bills. Fitz is no Jim kelly, but he's smart and capable. Chan is no Marv Levy - or is he? Dareus has potential to be HOF. Wood is a great Center and the O-line is getting better. Fred Jackson is a franchise RB. Could we be a draft or two away from the Super Bowl?

BUT . . . is ownership committed to winning? We seem to see an endless cycle of poor drafts, FA wiffs, and letting our best players go when they get too expensive to keep. Bill Polian ran the late 80s Buffalo Bills . . . does Nix have the authority to build a champion, and if so can he make it work?

Looking for your thoughts, TBD . . .

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS

In 1986 I got into the NFL and had to pick a team to follow. In Eastern PA it was Steelers or Browns, maybe Eagles. But I picked Buffalo, because they were 2-14 with no where to go but up. I hardly knew it at the time, but the Bills had a few things going for them:

They just picked up a smart QB from the extinct USFL named Jim Kelly. He looked like he might be good.

An optimist could see a lot of parallels in the 85/86 Bills and the 2010/2011 Bills. Fitz is no Jim kelly, but he's smart and capable. Chan is no Marv Levy - or is he? Dareus has potential to be HOF. Wood is a great Center and the O-line is getting better. Fred Jackson is a franchise RB. Could we be a draft or two away from the Super Bowl?

BUT . . . is ownership committed to winning? We seem to see an endless cycle of poor drafts, FA wiffs, and letting our best players go when they get too expensive to keep. Bill Polian ran the late 80s Buffalo Bills . . . does Nix have the authority to build a champion, and if so can he make it work?

This is cute... or you could look at the records of the Bills from the past six years:

2002 8-8

2003 6-10

2004 9-7

2005 5-11

2006 7-9

2007 7-9

2008 7-9

2009 6-10

2010 4-12

2011 5-11 (likely)

I guess history CAN repeat itself!

Personnell is only one part of the equation.

I know the injury bug came back in force but I was always scared that Chan's offense wasn't sustainable because defenses could just adapt to shut it down.

So here is teh question, is the team playing that much worse or have teams made adjustments?

You can't adapt to a strong power run game for the most part because the offense is in control. But with regard to opposing defenses to this Bills offense you can jam receivers in a spread or bunch formation and screw up timing or simply play a 46 Defense and make them mostly ineffective.

Orignally I worried that Chan's offense wouldn't function well in the snow, wind and cold but now I'm thinking that it's not appropriate for an NFL team with the exception of having 2-3 all pro receivers and an all pro QB.

In 1986 I got into the NFL and had to pick a team to follow. In Eastern North Western PA it was Steelers or Browns, maybe Eagles. But I picked Buffalo, because they were 2-14 with no where to go but up. I hardly knew it at the time, but the Bills had a few things going for them:

I just had to fix the above for myself.

Looks like no one is feeling like future champs after Sunday. Where are the optimists?

actually the team went 2-14 in 1984 and 1985, then 4-12 in 1986, 7-8 in 1987, but I get your point...

Injuries and a bit more help on defense and this team would not be collapsing this year, so as disappointed as I am with this season, I have really liked some of the things I have seen from them this year.

actually the team went 2-14 in 1984 and 1985, then 4-12 in 1986, 7-8 in 1987, but I get your point...

Injuries and a bit more help on defense and this team would not be collapsing this year, so as disappointed as I am with this season, I have really liked some of the things I have seen from them this year.

Right, I confused myself. Going into 86 they were 2-14 the PREVIOUS year.

I was really hoping this year would be the break-even year (like 87), with next year be the break out year (like 88).

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS

I just had to fix the above for myself.

Looks like no one is feeling like future champs after Sunday. Where are the optimists?

Where are the optimists?

Ha! Kicked in the teeth again by their own damn team! That is what happens to optimists.

It reminds me of the "definition of insanity": keep doing the same thing and expecting different results!

I count myself among the optimists. At least this year, our Bills desperation held off until mid-November. It usually comes by early October, so this (5-2 before collapsing) is kind of a bonus.

Right, I confused myself. Going into 86 they were 2-14 the PREVIOUS year.

I was really hoping this year would be the break-even year (like 87), with next year be the break out year (like 88).

Chan was right all along, they weren't as good as people thought, and not as bad.

I think the defense is two OLB playmakers away from being very good, with the #1 priority a pass-rushing OLB who can play run as well. The O needs another tackle and a talented WR with speed (really sorry we didn't get to see what Easley brings).

I think their biggest problem, outside of the pass rusher, was that their depth was made up of mainly rookies. Without all of the injuries, I think they have a good shot at 10 wins. [it's too bad Merriman didn't pan out.]

The bright side is this year's class is getting a lot of experience. I think it's also serendipitous that Jackson went down to give Spiller the chance to show what he can do.

I understand the frustration people have, but I see an improving team that's almost there. Another draft like 2011 and this should be a playoff team.

There's always hope...

Chan was right all along, they weren't as good as people thought, and not as bad.

I think the defense is two OLB playmakers away from being very good, with the #1 priority a pass-rushing OLB who can play run as well. The O needs another tackle and a talented WR with speed (really sorry we didn't get to see what Easley brings).

I think their biggest problem, outside of the pass rusher, was that their depth was made up of mainly rookies. Without all of the injuries, I think they have a good shot at 10 wins. [it's too bad Merriman didn't pan out.]

The bright side is this year's class is getting a lot of experience. I think it's also serendipitous that Jackson went down to give Spiller the chance to show what he can do.

I understand the frustration people have, but I see an improving team that's almost there. Another draft like 2011 and this should be a playoff team.

There's always hope...

As an optimist myself, this is what I WANT to think.

BUT . . . I think the defense is further away than an OLB or two, and the O needs more than one tackle and a long threat WR. I had thought we had an adequate QB but now not so sure.

Bottom line is we have too many positional needs to address in the draft alone, EVEN IF WE HAVE A GOOD DRAFT. We need FA help, and the FO is not likely to want to pay for quality FAs.

Without a committment to win from the FO - meaning RW and his money men - we will continue to tread water.

That said, I think both Chan and Nix are real football men. With RW fading, if Chix can take over operations from the money men, we will have a chance. This year's draft APPEARS to be an indication of that, although the lack of FA signings in the off season point the other way.

What we all want to be is the, and I hate to say it, Green Bay Packers. Just think how far off we are from that. And believe me living here just about all my friends are Packer fans, so I root for the other team every week.

That's what I thought this post was about at first.

Edited by madtowntobuffalo

What we all want to be is the, and I hate to say it, Green Bay Packers. Just think how far off we are from that. And believe me living here just about all my friends are Packer fans, so I root for the other team every week.

That's what I thought this post was about at first.

Nah, I would have been happy with 8-8 this year, and an improving outlook. That's more the point.

I'll feel better if we can win at least ONE of our home games to finish 6-10. But not much.

Brilliant well thought out post.

May I be the first to nominate you "(*^*&%^$^#of the year"

They had a great GM in Bill Polian they made blockbuster trades (Bennett) they signed great free agents (Lofton) they had a front office that was not totally inept.

Boy, you can tell that its December. Bills are out of the playoff picture, and here we go with the embarrassing nastalgic crap. Hey dude, do you think that Detroit is still talking about Barry Sanders? NO. Do you think San Francisco is still talking about Steve Young/Joe Montana? NO. Do you think Green Bay is still talking about Brett Favre? Don't even answer that one. I'll re-interate: The Buffalo Bills are so bad that year after year, fans have to resort (at this time, EVERY YEAR) to talking about the "glory days of the early 90s". Doesn't that make you sick and embarrassed to have to talk about this again this year? I was as big a fan as anybody of those teams. But its not 1990 anymore! Its freakin' 2011, for gods sake! And this team STILL can not produce a winner? PATHETIC!

Boy, you can tell that its December. Bills are out of the playoff picture, and here we go with the embarrassing nastalgic crap. Hey dude, do you think that Detroit is still talking about Barry Sanders? NO. Do you think San Francisco is still talking about Steve Young/Joe Montana? NO. Do you think Green Bay is still talking about Brett Favre? Don't even answer that one. I'll re-interate: The Buffalo Bills are so bad that year after year, fans have to resort (at this time, EVERY YEAR) to talking about the "glory days of the early 90s". Doesn't that make you sick and embarrassed to have to talk about this again this year? I was as big a fan as anybody of those teams. But its not 1990 anymore! Its freakin' 2011, for gods sake! And this team STILL can not produce a winner? PATHETIC!

:thumbsup::worthy:

It take guts to tell people to stop living in the past. I have been a Bills fan for about 30 years, so I have been through bad, good, and bad stretches. That was then, this is now. I also think the game has evolved in the past 15 years, so it is getting harder to compare the players of that era to the players of today. Every year at this time I start paying attention to mock drafts, start researching college players that will declare for the draft, and start looking at the Bills roster to see who is worth keeping and who will likely be replaced. I also still watch all the games with my son, because that is what I like to do on Sunday afternoons.

Oh no you didn't... Fitz is smart, and capable of what exactly? Growing a maingey beard? Seriously, what has he done in SEVEN YEARS to indicate to you that he's capable of being anything else but a career BACKUP? I think if we ever get any kind of competent management here, their first order of business will be dumping Fitz, and going after a legitimate franchise QB. Keeeping Fitzy would be a 59 million dollar disaster. Their second order of business should be hiring dedicated offensive and defensive coordinators. We're working with HALF of one, and NONE of the other right now. I think if the FO focuses on acquiring the fundamentals, we have a shot at building something great in the near future. If not, we're gonna suck badly for a long time.

:thumbsup::worthy:

It take guts to tell people to stop living in the past. I have been a Bills fan for about 30 years, so I have been through bad, good, and bad stretches. That was then, this is now. I also think the game has evolved in the past 15 years, so it is getting harder to compare the players of that era to the players of today. Every year at this time I start paying attention to mock drafts, start researching college players that will declare for the draft, and start looking at the Bills roster to see who is worth keeping and who will likely be replaced. I also still watch all the games with my son, because that is what I like to do on Sunday afternoons.

Not living in the past as much as trying to predict the future. The central question is: have we bottomed out? If so, we could be in the SB hunt in a surprisingly short time. Or are we going to limp on at 7-9 or so into the forseeable future? Consensus seems to be the latter.