(OT)Did anyone go to school/play football with

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to age myself, but I played high school football with a very interesting individual that played Pro football. In 1973 Mark Murphy graduated from Clarence High School. I graduated in 1974 but got to play on the same team with him.

Upon graduation, he turned down numerous scholarships to attend Colgate (non-scholarship school). After a great collegiate career, he was signed as a free agent by the Washington Redskins. We all figured that even with his talent he wouldn't make it. The team was coached by George Allen, who did not have a fondness for rookies. Well, to make a long story short (I know... it's too late) , he ended up eventually starting at free safety, played on a couple of Super Bowl teams, got his law degree and I believe ended up as the President of the Players association.

He is presently the AD at Colgate. Never met a nicer guy, he never had a big head and could have probably played Pro hoops or baseball.

I played against Greg Mamula when he went to Lackawanna High School. I was the Quarterback for my team and he was a monster even in High School. He drilled me a couple of times that day. Too bad he didn't have as good of a pro career with Philly. Kinda cool having played against someone that went to the pros.

177284[/snapback]

I played football for Lancaster High School when Ron Jaworski quarterbacked Lackawanna. Funny thing - he was not even the star of that team. They had a stud running back, Marty Januskievicz, who went on to a stellar career at Syracuse, then tore his knee up his first year in the NFL. I think that Lackawanna won the ECIC division I championship in 1968 and all Jaws did was hand off.

no one i ever grew up with made it to the bigtime, too many wasted their talent by f*ckin up. but i played basketball against a few people, cliff robinson (my best friends cousin) at delaware park, trevor ruffin at the y on ferry (he played at bennet, went to hawaii then had a little stint with the suns in the 90s and dropped 39 pts in a playoff game) and damone brown at mlk park (seneca then went on to syracuse, got drafted by the 76ers), hooped against some guys like leonard stokes (cincinnati) and julius page (pittsburgh) when they were at turner carroll. the best football player i ever faced was teddy mcduffie from grover, he went to temple then transfered to ub. thats about all i can think of now

Here's one for you guys, when I was in High School we played Glades Central every year. Well when I was a soph. They had at RB Fred Taylor(SR.) with James Jackson(JR). At WR Riedel Anthony(sr.) and at LB Johnny Rutledge(Jr.). The week after that we played a team With Vinny Sutherland(FR.) and Peter Warrek (Sr.), The next week was Anquin Boldin(8th Gr.) at Pahokee. It wasn't easy growing up in Fl.

Noone I went to high school with ever amounted to anything in football, but thats because we weren't really known for our football program. Plenty of good basketball talent, but as of now, noone is yet a pro(the nba is one of the toughest leagues to get into). HOwever, my buddy Ricky is currently in the Colorado Rockies organization and was a 3rd round draft pick last year. Best arm I've ever seen on a catcher by far, great natural hitter and unlike many of the athletes mentioned in this post, he's actually smart.

Played against Darrien barnes (FB on Dallas) in high school. The kid was a rb, and a monster. One of the fastest dudes I've ever seen. He's also good friends with my roommate, which is cool. He is def. a good guy.

Just a Niner fan browsing over the Bills board here. One of my best friends growing up named Joe Fondale played FB at Ohio University had a pretty productive carrer even scored 12 tds in the 1998 season. When I was in junior high Rob Carpenter was the coach of our High School football team in New Lexington, Ohio. With most of you guys being from the New York area you might remember him playing for the New York Giants from 1981 to 1985 he was a pretty decent RB playing for the Giants, Oilers and Rams he ended his pro career with about 4300 rushing yards and 34 td's.

Just a Niner fan browsing over the Bills board here. One of my best friends growing up named Joe Fondale played FB at Ohio University had a pretty productive carrer even scored 12 tds in the 1998 season. When I was in junior high Rob Carpenter was the coach of our High School football team in New Lexington, Ohio. With most of you guys being from the New York area you might remember him playing for the New York Giants from 1981 to 1985 he was a pretty decent RB playing for the Giants, Oilers and Rams he ended his pro career with about 4300 rushing yards and 34 td's.

177659[/snapback]

We remember another Rob Carpenter more for his days at SU rather than this one's days with the Giants. Different parts of New York, you see. :P

I went to the same High School as Mike Mularkey, Northeast Highschool in Oakland Park, FL.

He graduated 25 years before me though, but we had some of the same teachers.

Also, a kid from my High School named Demetri Stewart just signed with University Of Miami as one of their top recruits.

177316[/snapback]

OMG. :P

Those teachers are still breathing? :doh:

My dad and uncle both played football with St Bonaventure when Ted Marchabroda was the QB there. In addition to being the Bills OC during the super bowl glory years, he also was the head coach for the Colts and the first Ravens head coach. And of course, he went from Bonaventure to the NFL, as the QB for the then Chicago Cardinals...he and my dad kept in touch for many years. I got to go sit in one of the luxury boxes at Rich Stadium when Teddy was the HC of the Colts, with my Dad, uncle and brother, as Marchabroda's guest. Kind of cool. My dad said I couldn't root for the Bills too loudly that day.....