So, Bills won't buy remaining seats at 66% off

Beerball

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not the obligation of the Bills to buy that amount of tickets. I think when it gets to around 5k tickets the local CBS affiliate would be wise to buy them for the ad revenue alone as it is the most watched channel in the area as opposed to playing some stupid infomercial.

WGRZ ran a story last night how during the 90s (yes we were great in the 90s) only 55% of the Dec games sold out and only 60% from 2000-2010. And people B word about a Dec game going to Toronto. I think if they decide to let the Toronto series continue the Bills should do it only with the stipulation of giving them a Dec game and the fans should stop whining.

That being said the fans in Buffalo in general are great despite not being on TV they will have more fans at the game than Miami will have at their game. The Bills Miami game in Miami looked about 1/3 full yet it was a "sell out" The national media will not mention the actual number of fans at games only that they are being blacked out!

A lot of good points here, Ray.

I find it ironic how we complain about one home game in Toronto, but then refuse to buy tickets to our own home games, then complain even more when those games are blacked out. Anyone seeing a pattern?

PTR

I think the Bills should play all December home games in Toronto myself. It has been shown that even in the distant good years Bills fans did not want to sit outside in the **** weather enough to sellout half of the games. Have the games in a place shielded from the ****ty northeast winters.

funny how ralph and his beancounters have now problem holding taxpayers hostage whenever the lease comes up....how much money has erie county given him over the years so could invest it in a product that ha made him filthy rich (and us look like a bunch of dopes for caring about this mess of a team)?

and yet he won't buy seats that are vacant only because he fields garbage?

sounds about right.

Yes - I've read a number of comments here about how Ralph shouldn't have to buy the tickets, how it is the job of the fans to be sure the seats are sold. True. You know, though, what really bothers me, and kind of sums up what I don't like about the Bills? - Ralph, through Russ Brandon, saying They will not buy the tickets as if the fans had become accustomed to them doing so, and Ralph had to give the fans a tough lesson here. Lets get this straight:

Ralph either expects the fans should have to pay for every game, sell out, so that the remainder of the fans in the area can watch the game - the fans should have to spend the money, or, in other words, fulfill their end of the bargain, yet Ralph Isn't On The Hook For Spending To the Cap? He can spend 70% on his team, effectively assuring - at least his method has - that they suck year in and out, yet the fans are Supposed to pay full price to see the games?

Or... He doesn't care one way or the other.

It feels to me like it is a bit of both. Ralph is a pitiful owner, in my book. If he's going to pass away, I'd expect him to at least throw everything he has at making a winner, for his sake and the fans. But he will go out like he lived, and the fans can take it or leave it, and he could care either way.

I am a fan, and have watched and rooted for this team since I was 12 years old - over twenty years. I see a team that is not serious about winning, or putting forth the maximum amount of effort to win; and, in that case, I can't seriously expect our team to win - why should we beat a team that does all it can to get the right coach, to pay the players, to get creative with contracts so the best players can be together, all in pursuit of one thing - a Championship. That feels like something worth celebrating. Fans will support that. If the Bills had an owner come in like the Sabres got, there would be no lack of support for this team. Ralph creates the environment he needs to continue to behave the way he does, all in the end to save money. Because, when it gets right down to it - Ralph doesn't believe football is anything more than a game with a bunch of guys running around catching balls. He doesn't think it should take over a hundred million dollars a year to put a good team on the field, because, after all, when he was a boy, people played in ten feet of snow, with bare feet, and only on a stomach that had eaten one potato for a week....

Edited by sllib olaffub

NFL Redzone Channel will show you all the Bills and Titans redzone possessions......not subject to blackout.

Yes… but in reality the Red Zone Channel shows much more than just red zone possessions.

Sometimes there's only action in 1-2 games at any given moment so they show that game.

Often there's a spectacular play or a crucial drive in a game and they'll to to that game.

BTW, I think everything that needed to be said about this issue was said in the first 4 pages. We're going around in circles again.

I think the Bills should play all December home games in Toronto myself. It has been shown that even in the distant good years Bills fans did not want to sit outside in the **** weather enough to sellout half of the games. Have the games in a place shielded from the ****ty northeast winters.

Really we might as well. I will be curious to see if the architect's report will recommend putting a roof on RWS.

PTR

It's not necessarily being delusional. Its just sort of incredible that you go on a message board to be condescending towards fans who have emotional responses to the team they root for. Its obvious to most people that message boards are a place for hardcore fans to discuss, often in emotional detail, their frustrations and/or elation over the team they root for. So for you to come around with this "I'm just a casual fan who is happy to root for the team and not get overly upset when they lose" act, is kind of ridiculous. If that's your vibe, why are you posting on here? To keep everyone else in line or something? I mean give me a break. It's like going to church and complaining everyone is too religious.

Bills fans have every right to commiserate over their team. There is nothing hypocritical about saying the Bills have sucked as a franchise over the past 15 years.

Of course not. The Bills have had a bad run and the reasons have been debated endlessly here. My beef is with people who let their emotion cloud all logic and reason. I also get irked by people who look for every opportunity to despair even when times are good.

I went through my own kick-the-dog phase with the Bills and realized I was acting silly. So now I just try to enjoy the games without turning them into my own personal hair shirt. For some people their disillusionment has morphed into a steady state of depression.

I lived through the Super Bowl years and I know that no one, NO ONE, felt happy at the end of those seasons. So we all demand a playoff appearance, but I can guarantee if we did make the playoffs and lose people would complain even more. It's just a fact of life. We live to complain.

PTR

Of course not. The Bills have had a bad run and the reasons have been debated endlessly here. My beef is with people who let their emotion cloud all logic and reason. I also get irked by people who look for every opportunity to despair even when times are good.

I went through my own kick-the-dog phase with the Bills and realized I was acting silly. So now I just try to enjoy the games without turning them into my own personal hair shirt. For some people their disillusionment has morphed into a steady state of depression.

I lived through the Super Bowl years and I know that no one, NO ONE, felt happy at the end of those seasons. So we all demand a playoff appearance, but I can guarantee if we did make the playoffs and lose people would complain even more. It's just a fact of life. We live to complain.

PTR

You can't spell Patty Hearst without PTR.

If the new owner thinks it will benefit him/her to move the Bills, the Bills will move....sellout or no. Fans filling the seats won't guarantee that we keep the game here.

What it will guarantee, is that the Bills will continue down the road of the last decade.

If the new owner has any marketing savvy at all, he/she must know that if the team were still winning, or even if the team still had the same record but had been competitive in 3 of the 4 last games instead of blown out to the point of being unwatchable in 3 out of 4 of them, the stadium would be filled to the brim with blue-painted berserkers screaming their throats raw.

I take it your base point is that the Bills are a business, and there is no reason to expect the Bills to forgo potential profit as a good will gesture to fans.

The corollary point is that the business is fundamentally entertainment, and if the Bills are fielding an un-entertaining, unwatchable product, the fans almost have a duty to NOT support it - that is the only way to send a message to an entertainment business that they need to improve their product.

If we follow your line of reasoning that the Bills are a business, and there is no reason for the fans to expect, or feel entitled to, a good will gesture, then it follows that if the product maximizes its sales at its current quality (ie stadium sells out), what is the motivation to improve the product?

"Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem. Failing to support the Bills by not attending games, is a self destructive over reaction to the problem of not winning. This franchise will win again. i share everyones frustration in losing, it sucks, but losing the team thru relocation to another city will be a thousand times worse.

#1- including Toronto, the Bills are the 4th Largest NFL Market. this is a very desirable franchise.

#2- the ONLY thing that would cause the Future owner of the Bills to consider leaving is poor attendance.

#3- possesion is 9/10th's of law, it's our franchise to lose.

The season is almost over. Buy a ticket or don't. Some people who can afford a ticket never buy one because they would rather watch the game while sitting in the living room. Some of those same folks think the Bills should buy up the unsold tickets and pass them out. Some people have "done their part" and bought tickets for many years which has helped contribute to sellouts and Bills home games being on TV. Those who routinely buy tickets enable certain others to sit and watch from the couch. The Bills are rising but the injuries have exposed their weaknesses (weak pass rush and a lack of depth). Twelve years without playoffs is beyond stale. And cheap is cheap.

I am going to go to the grocery store while hoping that the owner buys up some groceries and passes them out to cheapies like me!

PTR

It's interesting how you think anyone who complains on this board is just like you "WERE" and now you are above it all. It says a lot about your ego.

What's your take on fans with Stockholm Syndrome?

If the Bills are having trouble attracting fans how about heading an hour and a half up into Canada? 4th or 5th largest market in North America - maybe the Bills could actually tap into that market for averyone's mutual benefit, heck maybe play a game a year there....oh wait....

• 3 weeks later...

I got a little upset about a week before the titans game when everyone was mad that ralph wouldnt purchase the remaining tickets to guarantee a sellout. I thought hey you know what im going to the game because im a bills fan, if you want to watch it, buy a ticket. Well i was wrong. In the back of my head i knew as we all did that there was no way in the world denver was selling out and surely that was why ralph wasn't buying tickets to tennessee or miami to sell it out. I just KNEW that he and perhaps another partner would surely purchase the tickets for denver so we could watch the game on christmas eve.

Well......i was wrong. The 5-9 record aside, this organization has just proved to me that they don't care about me. Forget the "fans"...i dont know most of them personally....i only know im a fan....and they dont care about me. They wont throw me a bone and show me they care. On christmas eve most other fans will get to watch there team play, none of which are facing a certain 12 year playoff drought. Im 26. First bills memory was them celebrating the afc conference championship for the first time. 21 years later, through all of the tears of super bowl losses, homerun throwbacks, monday night debacles, and 5-2 starts the only reason i have left to like the bills is because its what ive always done. I've finally realized that the organization doesnt care about what i think or any of us for that matter. I say the organization because i dont even know if ralph has anything to do with much lately. The bills are in my blood and that will never change, but there has to be something we can do to change things.