A big fat, I was wrong, is in order!

JP-era

I for one, sat here and slammed TD whne he grabbed a HC who had NO previous head coaching experience!

I thought for sure that we were headed down a long painfull road with Mularkey when we went 0 and whatever. How wrong I was!

Mularkey, has in fact, forced the Bills to act like champions and actually play EACH AND EVERY game like we still will be in the SB!

That is EXACTLY what we have needed for a decade now!

It takes a big man to admit whne hes wrong, I guess that man is me!

Couldn't resist the self-congratulatory speech at the end I see.  :D

176474[/snapback]

Whats up with the relentless lynch mob mentality towards me? Did I do something to tick you off?

Come on man, I just admitted to the whole damn board that I was wrong.

Im sure that after the 0-4 start everybody was a bit skeptical at the head coaching choice for this team...but a coach is defined but how well a team reacts after a loss..in this case 4 losses..and I think its safe to say that our teams resolve is pretty positive at this point..soo yes I believe MM is the right choice..

I"ll admit myself he wasn't my first selection, I For one was routin for Fassel , but when I look at it now, mm is the right choice for this team, and the right choice for his players.

Im sure that after the 0-4 start everybody was a bit skeptical at the head coaching choice for this team...but a coach is defined but how well a team reacts after a loss..in this case 4 losses..and I think its safe to say that our teams resolve is pretty positive at this point..soo yes I believe MM is the right choice..

I"ll admit myself he wasn't my first selection, I For one was routin for Fassel , but when I look at it now, mm is the right choice for this team, and the right choice for his players.

176517[/snapback]

Im not sure it would have been different results with ANY other coach. BUT, NOW, MM is the RIGHT choice! He has the right attitude and most importantly is getting through to the players!

ok, that is your first step, now we need you to back off a bit on pushing jp too fast and hard. his time will come and he will be READY!

I for one, sat here and slammed TD whne he grabbed a HC who had NO previous head coaching experience!

I thought for sure that we were headed down a long painfull road with Mularkey when we went 0 and whatever. How wrong I was!

Mularkey, has in fact, forced the Bills to act like champions and actually play EACH AND EVERY game like we still will be in the SB!

176470[/snapback]

ok, that is your first step, now we need you to back off a bit on pushing jp too fast and hard.  his time will come and he will be READY!

176525[/snapback]

Im still not so sure that Losman isnt Rothlisberger rather than Eli!

Fact is, you dont know when the right time for him to play is. Neither do I.

We need to trust in TD and MM to start Losman when its "right". God I hope we are smarter than starting Drew just because we were "in and out" in the 2004 playoffs! I hope we see the hoplessness in that!

Holy cow! Exclamation points!

176470[/snapback]

Whats up with the relentless lynch mob mentality towards me? Did I do something to tick you off?

Come on man, I just admitted to the whole damn board that I was wrong.

176493[/snapback]

You're a jerk and everyone knows it.

for now, I was way wrong as well. I was the #1 a-hole screaming for Coughlin.

It still is a marathon to find out who was the right/wrong choice, but for now, being wrong never felt so good.

Even still, I never said Mularky was a bad choice

176862[/snapback]

I also preferred Coughlin, but I was fine with MM.

I remember saying a couple of times that we would know what kind of coach we had after the first 1/4 of the season was done. Then when we went 0-4 I was certain we were screwed, blued, and tatooed for this year. How wrong I was. MM & Co. took a little longer to gel than we all would have liked, but he owns this squad now and has them performing about as well as anyone could ever hope to expect.

I was wrong too, but I'm certainly enjoying this ride. The difference between this season and the last three is we were previously sold a bill of goods that I label "False Hope." The hope this year, though slim, is very real. Even if they step on the Johnson now, it's been arguably one of the best seasons the Bills have had in nearly a decade - and the future looks BRIGHT! :lol:

Go Bills! We're bringing more cowbell!

Im not sure it would have been different results with ANY other coach. BUT, NOW, MM is the RIGHT choice! He has the right attitude and most importantly is getting through to the players!

176524[/snapback]

I certainly claim no glory in having dead lock certainty who the right choice for HC was as there are a variety of essential factors in buidling a winning framework starting with our football braintrust which I and no outsider can truly know (such as how the personalities will get along and since I don't know TD, etc. personally its only a guess).

However, though I could not say with the certainty of an ICE who is the right choice I certainly had my uncertain guesses of who the correct choices might be and actually had a clearer idea of whom the wrong choices were.

The great confirmation I see of my views so far is that it seemed to me that Tom Coughlin was the wrong choice for the Bills, I'm glad they didn't go that way and actually I think the true confessions of note in this thread are from the folks willing to admit they were all wrong advocating Coughlin rather than the admission they were wrong about MM.

Coughlin did bring the advantage that he had won before, but if that was the key criterion than hiring Fassel or bringing back Marv made more sense to me since they had taken a team farther than Coughlin and they did not have his obvious negatives.

Coughlin's big fault as best as I can tell (a key to the Jax players giving up on him when the going got tough) is that he has a my way or the highway approach that some seem to love because he is disciplining the paid too well NFL player. However, there are so many stories about him which simply border on the bizarre (like him ordering his assistants not to wear sunglasses at practice) that he struck me as someoe who would bring his random insecurity with him as he strove to establish his authority through fear. This might be fine while the team was winning, but when the rough spots occur as they do for all teams, I suspected he would fin few defenders and it would all fall apart.

As it happens, this litany seemed to start early in NYC as this despot got into some brouhaha over who was handling the press. Even worse for him unlike Jax, he neither has the power that an HC has over an expansion team, the honeymoon is short (or non-existent) with the NYC press, and his moves to win right now failed and though Eli will develop like any young QB this will take time.

I will not be surprised if he is gone if the team does not win next year even though he will have several years left on his contract.

This story is important for considering the MM experience here, because I think the key is that MM is not simply a bright guy (there are tons around as football ain't brain surgery) but he came in as TD's boy and part of the team.

The fact he was a rookie actually showed right away as it took this team 4 games to find its footing. Even worse, bad luck (which a team makes for itself) with a series of bizarre plays against Jax and some bad ref calls against Oak made this team 0-4.

The key thing for this team is that MM/Clements/Gray/April had the confidence in themselves to stay the course when the world around them was collapsing and the team had the belief to trust it the braintrust and themselves to weather the storm. Most important, TD who didn't even have a honeymooner advanatage because he had 3 years of failure to build upon retained the confidence in MM not to panic and stayed the course when there was huge pressure (even from the owner who began to making disparaging noises to the press) to do something different.

I think that clearly things could have been very different under different HCs if TD had gone a different way. It likely would have been a bigger and ongoing disaster under Coughlin. A talent such as GW (if we had found his type to replace him) as HC does not produce winning results either.