Why isn't Bell starting at LT?

Keep him for depth? Stop making sense. This is the Bills and this is what we do.

First we let our starter walk creating another massive hole to fill. Then we draft another offensive tackle in any round from 5 through 7. Next our GM tells us he cannot fill all the holes in one year but we will build by the draft and keep our own (even though we very rarely do). After that we might even pick up a very old, washed up, third tier free agent OT that was never very good to begin with.

Next year, we will wonder how we got worse on the OL, just when it looked like the line was coming together. After the normal rash of injuries, when all else fails, we will sign a prospect off of a good teams Practice Squad and hope we can develop him. That way we can pay him minimum wage for a few years.

The question is, how much do you pay a good LT who has had injury problems, to be a backup? Or do you pay him as a starter?

Chan didn't expand on why Hairston will start at LT. Is Bell still hurt or are they just fed up with his injuries and hoping Hairston can do the job so they can cut Bell at the end of the season? I liked the way Bell was playing and want to see him on the field. Thoughts?

IMO, because he just isn't good. Hairston looks to have a much higher ceiling than Bell, and so far has been pretty good. People have a love affair with Bell, but he just can't stay healthy, and even when he is plays very inconsistently.

If Bell is a injury prone wussy who should be replaced then so is Wood.

Huge difference between Bell and Wood (although they have both been injury prone). Wood is actually solid at his position, and an NFL quality starter.

We saw evidence of that last week. The Bill's couldn't come close to using their style of running game without Wood last week. He should get a lot of credit for Jackson's great season. We saw how bad the Bills O looked with Levitre at center (not blaming him, he isn't a center). Wood helps the team, Bell does not.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If you think that they sign Bell as an FA to be a back-up you're nuts. Have you seen LT play around the league? Just based on the first five games, Bell will get a decent pay-day and will be penciled in as a starting LT. I'd like to see it be the Bills but the more likely scenario is to sign Pears (he'll be cheaper) and plug in Hairston at LT unless he completely sucks down the stretch.

Keep him for depth? Stop making sense. This is the Bills and this is what we do.

First we let our starter walk creating another massive hole to fill. Then we draft another offensive tackle in any round from 5 through 7. Next our GM tells us he cannot fill all the holes in one year but we will build by the draft and keep our own (even though we very rarely do). After that we might even pick up a very old, washed up, third tier free agent OT that was never very good to begin with.

Next year, we will wonder how we got worse on the OL, just when it looked like the line was coming together. After the normal rash of injuries, when all else fails, we will sign a prospect off of a good teams Practice Squad and hope we can develop him. That way we can pay him minimum wage for a few years.

Well Said! That comes from the mouth of someone who actually worked in the Bills organization. Probably even met RW.

I don't get the sense Bell loves football. Bill from NYC hit it on the head by comparing him to Jonas Jennings. The guy has some ability (although he's a bit light), but he doesn't seem to push himself to get out on the field to help his teammates.

Never should've traded Jason Peters.

I wholeheartedly agree. Bell has been out for 2 months with an injury that didn't require surgery. He isn't helping the team at all by sitting his fat ass on the bench while he "recovers".

I wholeheartedly agree. Bell has been out for 2 months with an injury that didn't require surgery. He isn't helping the team at all by sitting his fat ass on the bench while he "recovers".

Does anyone even know what kind of injury Bell has that is keeping him out? Everyone just assumes its something minor and he is sitting himself out because he is a wuss and won't play hurt. Just because he hasn't had surgery doesn't mean he should be good to go to play after rubbing some dirt on it, or walking it off. The LT situation has not been a huge issue in his absence, hairston has looked pretty good, and even levitre has played well there. I don't know if having Bell back at 80 or 90% is really going to improve this team from where tehy are. hairston and levitre have filled the spot quite well and can allow him to fully recover

but I guess its more fun to assume he is a wuss and the injury is something minor that he won't play through