A few thoughts about the Bills Organization

Pass the Pipe

1.) Is Ralph Wilson Satan because the first game he actually attended was the home blow out to the NY Jets and we all know the rest?

2.) In all sincerity, the only thing that will allow this team to improve is Mr. Wilson ending up on the permanent injured reserve list; harsh, but reality!

3.) I certainly have to take my hat off to Mr. Mortensen and Mr. Clayton both from ESPN, even I thought the Bills were better than a preseason 27th Power Ranking; Clayton’s line about getting ready for the Luck sweepstakes was prophetic!

4.) For a cheap guy, Mr. Wilson spends his money like a drunken sailor in a whore house: Merriman, Fitzpatrick, Mayben, Jauron, Brad Smith, Dockery, Langston Walker, Spiller, and the list goes on with high draft pick busts, free agent busts, and coaching busts.

5.) Word of advice always wait for a full body of work before handing out pay raises and bonuses; corporate American calls it the “annual review.” Freddie Jackson, if Fitzpatrick was an honest man he would give you half of his pay increase because he certainly cost you yours.

6.) Chris Kelsey actually looks like he is worth 24 million next to guys like Batten and Moats; good guy, average player, wasted career, but certainly not his fault.

7.) How do we like the “pop” pistol offense now? Spread offense with a quarterback that has a dish rag for an arm and a bunch of low or free agent wide receiver draft picks with no size, strength, and probably averaging 4.7 speed as a unit, give me a break. Hypothetically, how much better would this team be with a power running game featuring Lynch and Jackson, signed one or two free agent tight-ends like Kevin Boss and/or Greg Olson, Chicago gave him away for next to nothing, drafted Bryan Bulaga instead of CJ Spiller, kept Lee Evans and maybe signed TO for a possession guy to move the chains? I might add an offense much more suited for the abilities of Fitzpatrick (see Tim Tebow). Granted the defense still sucks, but a grind it out offense would help manage the clock and keep the league’s worst unit off of the field for the benefit of good paying customers.

8.) Does anybody else feel Indianapolis would be favored if playing Buffalo next week?

9.) Given the NFL’s much ballyhooed system of parity, it leads me to speculate that the Buffalo Bills might just be the most pathetic professional sports franchise in North America.

10.) Is it me or do players regress when coming to Buffalo? It seems like the learning curve is negatively sloped for the Bills; Dareus appears to have hit a wall, Brad Smith looked way more potent with the Jets last year, and Gruden thought Spiller was once a lock for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year? Also, it looks like Maybin learned a thing or two since leaving.

11.) Lastly, I sympathize for the hard working journalist from the Buffalo News and Rochester D&C that actually have to cover this joke of an organization for a living. Being home town papers they are certainly emotionally invested in this bunch and having to sit through this non-sense game in and game out has to be brutal, because, unlike me, they can’t turn the TV off and simply walk away!

Cannot argue with any of the above with the exception of #4. Mr. Wilson and his deteriorating mental capacity has clearly left the fate of the organization to Russ Brandon, Jim Ovendorf, and Buddy Nix. The re-signing of Chris Kelsay and the drafting of CJ Spiller told us all we needed to know. There is really no hope in site at this point. I too sincerely doubt the Bills will be competitive before Mr.Wilson dies in the next 1-2 years. Sad but true.

You left off - with the exception of the '90's, this organization has done more damage to the reputation and National perception of WNY than any force, act of God, or public disgrace save for perhaps the Blizzard of '77. People want the Bills to do well - all over the nation, they really do...but this team, er, Organization time and again fails...not just a little, but in an epic way. They hung tough for enough weeks to get some National play, got some big media types on the wagon and in the National consciousness , then BLAM, it slams into the wall only to have the National media back peddle and run for the life boats like the Titanic disaster it is. Perhaps as you call for, not until Mr Wilson passes will there be meaningful change, be it on the field or to another city. Until such time, there is little chance for success, even a prolonged dance with lightening in a bottle....

1.) Is Ralph Wilson Satan because the first game he actually attended was the home blow out to the NY Jets and we all know the rest?

2.) In all sincerity, the only thing that will allow this team to improve is Mr. Wilson ending up on the permanent injured reserve list; harsh, but reality!

3.) I certainly have to take my hat off to Mr. Mortensen and Mr. Clayton both from ESPN, even I thought the Bills were better than a preseason 27th Power Ranking; Clayton’s line about getting ready for the Luck sweepstakes was prophetic!

4.) For a cheap guy, Mr. Wilson spends his money like a drunken sailor in a whore house: Merriman, Fitzpatrick, Mayben, Jauron, Brad Smith, Dockery, Langston Walker, Spiller, and the list goes on with high draft pick busts, free agent busts, and coaching busts.

5.) Word of advice always wait for a full body of work before handing out pay raises and bonuses; corporate American calls it the “annual review.” Freddie Jackson, if Fitzpatrick was an honest man he would give you half of his pay increase because he certainly cost you yours.

6.) Chris Kelsey actually looks like he is worth 24 million next to guys like Batten and Moats; good guy, average player, wasted career, but certainly not his fault.

7.) How do we like the “pop” pistol offense now? Spread offense with a quarterback that has a dish rag for an arm and a bunch of low or free agent wide receiver draft picks with no size, strength, and probably averaging 4.7 speed as a unit, give me a break. Hypothetically, how much better would this team be with a power running game featuring Lynch and Jackson, signed one or two free agent tight-ends like Kevin Boss and/or Greg Olson, Chicago gave him away for next to nothing, drafted Bryan Bulaga instead of CJ Spiller, kept Lee Evans and maybe signed TO for a possession guy to move the chains? I might add an offense much more suited for the abilities of Fitzpatrick (see Tim Tebow). Granted the defense still sucks, but a grind it out offense would help manage the clock and keep the league’s worst unit off of the field for the benefit of good paying customers.

8.) Does anybody else feel Indianapolis would be favored if playing Buffalo next week?

9.) Given the NFL’s much ballyhooed system of parity, it leads me to speculate that the Buffalo Bills might just be the most pathetic professional sports franchise in North America.

10.) Is it me or do players regress when coming to Buffalo? It seems like the learning curve is negatively sloped for the Bills; Dareus appears to have hit a wall, Brad Smith looked way more potent with the Jets last year, and Gruden thought Spiller was once a lock for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year? Also, it looks like Maybin learned a thing or two since leaving.

11.) Lastly, I sympathize for the hard working journalist from the Buffalo News and Rochester D&C that actually have to cover this joke of an organization for a living. Being home town papers they are certainly emotionally invested in this bunch and having to sit through this non-sense game in and game out has to be brutal, because, unlike me, they can’t turn the TV off and simply walk away!

I agree with everything you said except #4-I am a retired Sailor who spent more than my fair share of time in whore houses overseas, and I was never as dumb with my money as Ralphy Boy is. The "free agents" I spent my money on were for the most part, well worth it!

So that's what we're left with, waiting for the owner to die? As painful as it is to watch the Bills implode, I'm not ready to start rooting for someone to die so we can win more games.

I would never hope someone would die, but to wake up tomorrow and find out that Ralphy sold the Bills to someone who gives a rat's ass about winning would be the best Christmas gift ever.

Edited by billsfreak

I agree with everything you said except #4-I am a retired Sailor who spent more than my fair share of time in whore houses overseas, and I was never as dumb with my money as Ralphy Boy is. The "free agents" I spent my money on were for the most part, well worth it!

I would never hope someone would die, but to wake up tomorrow and find out that Ralphy sold the Bills to someone who gives a rat's ass about winning would be the best Christmas gift ever.

Bills Freak - Your post is fantastic...Can I follow you on Twitter? Well done.

No sane person wants the owner to die, but a strange dichotomy exists if you are a Bills fan. With RW here you'll have a mediocre team. Without him it could mean the end of the franchise. And there are many who accept the former because the latter is worse.

In regards to #11, I never get the venom spewed at Sully's way on this site. 12 years with no playoffs and the homers think this guy should write glowing stories of the team and front office. The only difference between this year and other years is the good month stretch came at the start of the season.

Edited by billsfan714

So that's what we're left with, waiting for the owner to die? As painful as it is to watch the Bills implode, I'm not ready to start rooting for someone to die so we can win more games.

I dont know that the Pipe is rooting for the old codger to die - more pointing out that there will be no change with regards to being a good organization until he does...to which I, along with a good many on this board by the looks of it would agree. Long live Ralph I say - watching the carniage following another Bills season wreck is near as fun as a playoff run...

Bills Freak - Your post is fantastic...Can I follow you on Twitter? Well done.

You're both right, when I think about it I never waste money in a whore house or topless bar, typically very fair exchanges, it is more like Direct TV, Hotel rooms at the Mansion, rental cars in Buffalo, and last and certainly not least Bills tickets!

You left off - with the exception of the '90's, this organization has done more damage to the reputation and National perception of WNY than any force, act of God, or public disgrace save for perhaps the Blizzard of '77. People want the Bills to do well - all over the nation, they really do...but this team, er, Organization time and again fails...not just a little, but in an epic way. They hung tough for enough weeks to get some National play, got some big media types on the wagon and in the National consciousness , then BLAM, it slams into the wall only to have the National media back peddle and run for the life boats like the Titanic disaster it is. Perhaps as you call for, not until Mr Wilson passes will there be meaningful change, be it on the field or to another city. Until such time, there is little chance for success, even a prolonged dance with lightening in a bottle....

KH, what I actually left off was the mystery of Jason Peters, young pro-bowl left tackle, like there is one of those on every street corner, was let go a draft pick and the Bills want to win football games???? For once I am agreeing with Donte Whitner!

Especially since there is no guarantee the Bills remain in Buffalo after his death.

It's pretty tough to argue with this point... we made four super bowls in spite of ralphy boy, not because of him. those teams were bill polian's teams, not ralphs. when polian wanted to spend more to keep the team competitive, ralph stepped in and everybody knows how that story ended. and the only reason polian was hired in the first place was because ralphy stumbled upon him, and he originally came cheap.

my question is and always will be...how did this clown make it into the hall of fame?!?!?

You don't have to root for it...And with all due respect to the man, I think even he knows it's not going to be that long a wait... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

That says it all. There are no excuses for not competing in the NFL except for Ralph's greed and incompetence. I know these guys make a lot of money, but playing for the Bills organization has to be extremely demoralizing. In the end, guys like Spiller and Maybin are in the their young 20's, have enough money never to work again, and are expected to put their bodies on the line for an organization that half-asses everything.

Especially since there is no guarantee the Bills remain in Buffalo after his death.

There may not be any guarantee...But seriously...Chances are The Bills will still be here long after most of us are gone...It's a stable Franchise...I know that's not how some like to paint it...But in comparison to quite a few NFL Teams the Bills are really pretty sound...And IF they every went anywhere, it would be Toronto... B-)

It's pretty tough to argue with this point... we made four super bowls in spite of ralphy boy, not because of him. those teams were bill polian's teams, not ralphs. when polian wanted to spend more to keep the team competitive, ralph stepped in and everybody knows how that story ended. and the only reason polian was hired in the first place was because ralphy stumbled upon him, and he originally came cheap.

my question is and always will be...how did this clown make it into the hall of fame?!?!?

It was no coincidence that he was elected when the NFL was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the AFL, and Al Davis and Lamar Hunt were long since members of the Hall. They had to celebrate it somehow, and he was the most obvious choice.

Edited by billsfreak