(LAMP)Need a Roast Beef recipe....

The Poojer

or better yet, instructions on how to make a good roast beef. i checked the recipe pages and saw nothing. i know i have tried before, but it never comes out anywhere close to restaurant roast beef. anyone have any suggestions? thanks in advance. btw what cuts of beef are the best for roast beef, is it only the rib sections?

one eye of the round roast cover with Dijon mustard and dot it with pepper corns

- place roast in tin foil lined roasting plan in 450 f oven with lid off for ten minutes , this seasl in the juices and makes it tender.

After ten minutes turn down to 350 f and bake for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours with lid on.

this is very simple but roast come out very nice this way.......

Personally, I like a standing rib roast. There's something about carving up a rib that brings out the caveman. :devil:

You can't really screw it up either. Place it in a roaster fat side up. You won't be eating the fat, so really spice it up. A ton of course salt, pepper & garlic all over the top of the roast. Lay in on thick. As the roast cooks the spices will seep into the meat and make a beautiful crust on top. Roast the meat slowly, 300 or 325 tops.

Towards the end of the oven time get some of the drippings and make a batch of Yorkshire pudding.

Gotta have horseradish for the meat. I also like to make twice baked potatoes with a rib roast.

Personally, I like a standing rib roast.  There's something about carving up a rib that brings out the caveman. :devil:

You can't really screw it up either.  Place it in a roaster fat side up.  You won't be eating the fat, so really spice it up.  A ton of course salt, pepper & garlic all over the top of the roast.  Lay in on thick.  As the roast cooks the spices will seep into the meat and make a beautiful crust on top.  Roast the meat slowly, 300 or 325 tops.

Towards the end of the oven time get some of the drippings and make a batch of Yorkshire pudding.

Gotta have horseradish for the meat.  I also like to make twice baked potatoes with a rib roast.

174834[/snapback]

Man after my heart. We found a way to do one on the grill. I add a little bacon fat to my pudding., and make a horseradish sauce with whipped cream and dijon mustard.

Chef could step up, here.

or better yet, instructions on how to make a good roast beef.  i checked the recipe pages and saw nothing.  i know i have tried before, but it never comes out anywhere close to restaurant roast beef.  anyone have any suggestions?  thanks in advance.  btw what cuts of beef are the best for roast beef, is it only the rib sections?

174803[/snapback]

Emeril's recipes.

Take a 10 pound size rib roast......go outside and place it on lawn.....unzip fly and urinate on meat...poke holes in roast with fork before urination to soak in the juices....stick finger up butt....pull out yesterday's peppercorns from the steak you ate yesterday and dot beef.........bake in toaster oven...serve wife with smile on face :devil:

mmmmmm gooood.......

Personally, I like a standing rib roast.  There's something about carving up a rib that brings out the caveman. :devil:

You can't really screw it up either.  Place it in a roaster fat side up.  You won't be eating the fat, so really spice it up.  A ton of course salt, pepper & garlic all over the top of the roast.  Lay in on thick.  As the roast cooks the spices will seep into the meat and make a beautiful crust on top.  Roast the meat slowly, 300 or 325 tops.

Gotta have horseradish for the meat.  I also like to make twice baked potatoes with a rib roast.

174834[/snapback]

Here's something we do that in this very same vain, but check this out. We shove garlic into the meat, cover the fat side with some seasonings like thyme, marjoram, fresh ground pepper (very heavy), but we do something different by salt-encrusting the top of the beef.

Take two cups of COURSE salt and slowly add a bit of water. Stir in enough water to turn the salt into a snow-like texture, and then pack that snow heavy all over the top (fatty part) of the roast. When the roast is done, the entire block of salt pops off as one piece, and leaves the meat incredibly tender.

This is what I do:

Marinade a beef roast in Lawry's Mesquite marinades.

Poke hole push garlic thru

then marinade for a few hours.

Then roast in oven. For a couple of hours.

Place potatoes, carrots and onions around the roast in the pan. Little water in pan to prevent burning.

Good stuff lawry's marinades.

Merry Christmas

I just season it with frshly ground sea salt & black pepper and put it on the rotissere. On occasion, I have marinaded the roast beef in sweet vermouth after seasoning. The vermouth really locks in the flavor and provides a nice glaze when on the rotissere. But usually, just a bit of salt & pepper. I found that good meat doesn't need a lot to make it nice. Although, LA's recipe sounds like its worth a try. I use the top round cut, b/c its a bit more forgiving.

or better yet, instructions on how to make a good roast beef.  i checked the recipe pages and saw nothing.  i know i have tried before, but it never comes out anywhere close to restaurant roast beef.  anyone have any suggestions?  thanks in advance.  btw what cuts of beef are the best for roast beef, is it only the rib sections?

174803[/snapback]

A rib roast is quite nice. Get the short end, not the large end. 4 to 5 pounds. Maybe 30 to 40 bucks these days.

You MUST buy a meat thermometer, and you must buy some kosher salt, and a container described below.

Unwrap it. Take a table knife and scrape down the red meat sides. Get a plastic container with a lid large enough to hold the roast, AND poke several holes in it for air circulation.

Wrap the roast in paper toweling. Put in the pierced container, and put in your icebox on the lower shelf, at the back. What you want to happen is the removal of moisture, which will concentrate flavor.

When the toweling gets wet, replace it with fresh toweling once. Remove that and let the roast sit for at least a day in the fridge - two is better. Teke a knife and thinly remove any "leather that may have formed.

Take it out, and let it get to room temperature.

Put in a broiling pan with a rack rib side down. Pat the top and side lightly with the kosher salt. I also use a bit of freshly-ground black pepper. You don't need to over-spice a good cut of beef. If you want to slather it with stuff, buy cheaper cuts IMO.

Insert the meat thermometer probe into the top, into the center of the cut. Do NOT let the thermometer touch bone.

Place in a 325 degree F oven - Preheating is not needed. Bake until the thermometer reads 135 - 140 (for medium rare). Takes about 20 minutes per pound. Remove, and cover with foil for 15 minutes, so cooking is completed and the juices are drawn back into the meat. Do NOT remove the probe...the juices will sprout out.

I cut mine with an electric knife, removing the bulk of the meat from the ribs, and then carve the roast in about 1/2 inch slices.

Use the pan drippings to make a dipping sauce or whatever.