Modern Warfare 3 vs Battlefield 3

/dev/null

BF3 seems to be a better value. For one you get 4 maps just for buying the limited edition (Which is 60$ the same price as a regular edition and you can still pick it up in stores). BF3 was also built on Frostbite 2 tech which was made just for this game. In BF3 you can blow up walls, drive vehicles, and play up to 64 people online in the PC version (24 on PS3 or Xbox).

Call of Duty is really just a bad value at this point. Its built off the tech from the first modern warfare which is tech from 2007. The graphics don't look quite as sharp as they should. There also isn't the ability to knock down walls or use vehicles like tanks and jets. Also COD doesn't have dedicated servers while BF3 does.

BF3 seems to be a better value. For one you get 4 maps just for buying the limited edition (Which is 60$ the same price as a regular edition and you can still pick it up in stores). BF3 was also built on Frostbite 2 tech which was made just for this game. In BF3 you can blow up walls, drive vehicles, and play up to 64 people online in the PC version (24 on PS3 or Xbox).

Call of Duty is really just a bad value at this point. Its built off the tech from the first modern warfare which is tech from 2007. The graphics don't look quite as sharp as they should. There also isn't the ability to knock down walls or use vehicles like tanks and jets. Also COD doesn't have dedicated servers while BF3 does.

You forgot to mention the "elite" package which I ponied up the money for. Kind of regretting the purchase now, but have a ton of friends that play it. I only buy these games for the online play. I play with a group of friends also. The one thing that really pisses me off that happens more and more is the later release of map packs for these games. MW is known for that, and now everyone is doing it. I took back Homefront because I refused to buy map packs for it, and will probably do the same now for Dirt 3. At least with the "elite" package I get a years worth of downloads for MW 3.

Really digging BF 3. The more I play it the more I like it.

I'll be buying Modern Warfare 3 Tuesday. I loved playing the Spec Ops missions with my brother and now that Infinity Ward is making this Call of Duty, Spec Ops is back. I am one of the few that buys MW for the campaign as well because they have been stellar, although they are short in length.

On Friday my money goes to Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. Battlefield looses out entirely.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

BF3 on the PC. The first Modern Warfare was the king and I logged more hours of my life then I should have, but it's been recycled crap with servers populated by 15 year olds since then. Even the first MW was to much run and gun, but I found refuge in a tactical server. BF3 has it's share of run and gun idiots, but you can dominate them pretty easily.

Anyone else playing on PC, I'm Porter_JH. I'm usually on the 7cav server on weekend nights.

Edited by kegtapr

I'll be picking up mw3 for the PS3 right after work tomorrow. There really is nothing better than the early days of the game where most people don't know the map and no one is aware of any of the little bugs.

I enjoy team play, and the vehicles so obviously BF3 all the way (played a lot of BC2). Playing on the PS3 as I have enough spent in home theater equipment and a comfy couch that PC gaming has no luster to me anymore. Granted the PC version has amazing visuals and more players.

I was playing over lunch and there was a guy Billsmafia123 (some set of numbers don't remember) that wouldn't be any of you would it?

I enjoy team play, and the vehicles so obviously BF3 all the way (played a lot of BC2). Playing on the PS3 as I have enough spent in home theater equipment and a comfy couch that PC gaming has no luster to me anymore. Granted the PC version has amazing visuals and more players.

I was playing over lunch and there was a guy Billsmafia123 (some set of numbers don't remember) that wouldn't be any of you would it?

Did someone say home theater gear? Whatcha got, Muffmonster?

Did someone say home theater gear? Whatcha got, Muffmonster?

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT25 50-inch

Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2-Channel

Elemental Designs A2 - 300 Subwoofer (things a monster)

Fronts: Elemental Design A4.b - Bookshelf Pair

Center: Klipsch Quintet

Side and rear sorround : Klipsch Quintet

Work in progress as always, I certainly need more then bookshelf speakers for my fronts, and need to upgrade my center as well. All and all though it sounds great. We redid the room so I was able to run all my wiring in the walls.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT25 50-inch

Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2-Channel

Elemental Designs A2 - 300 Subwoofer (things a monster)

Fronts: Elemental Design A4.b - Bookshelf Pair

Center: Klipsch Quintet

Side and rear sorround : Klipsch Quintet

Work in progress as always, I certainly need more then bookshelf speakers for my fronts, and need to upgrade my center as well. All and all though it sounds great. We redid the room so I was able to run all my wiring in the walls.

I'm actually a fan of having bookshelf monitors for the mains, in a subwoofer/satellite configuration. Those ED subs are very well regarded on the forums, especially for the price, so I would imagine if you have that dialed in well with the mains, you'd get a real nice front stage. You may want to match the center to the mains at some point, but the klipsch is probably very good for dialogue given those horn drivers. And I'm a very big fan of Onkyo receivers. The amp sections in those are excellent for both movies and music...that's a great little system you have there, particularly for what you spent :thumbsup:

Panasonic is also my favorite for plasma displays...very nice

I like the teamwork aspect of the BF series. Have the PC version of BF3 but haven't had time to get into the multi player end of it. Graphics are amazing though and runs silky smooth on my pc.

Edited by Dante

I'm actually a fan of having bookshelf monitors for the mains, in a subwoofer/satellite configuration. Those ED subs are very well regarded on the forums, especially for the price, so I would imagine if you have that dialed in well with the mains, you'd get a real nice front stage. You may want to match the center to the mains at some point, but the klipsch is probably very good for dialogue given those horn drivers. And I'm a very big fan of Onkyo receivers. The amp sections in those are excellent for both movies and music...that's a great little system you have there, particularly for what you spent :thumbsup:

Panasonic is also my favorite for plasma displays...very nice

Thank you, an ED center is certainly my next upgrade. BF3 certainly has the best sound of any game I've every played.

I'm not a fan of horn loaded speakers especially for dialogue. Sure they play loud with very little amplification - one of the reasons movie theaters employ horn loaded speakers but too often suffer from severe colorations especially in regards to reproducing natural sounding voices. Often referred to as horn honk.

I'm really interested in the new Ascend Acoustic Sierra towers. Those look amazing.

I'm not a fan of horn loaded speakers especially for dialogue. Sure they play loud with very little amplification - one of the reasons movie theaters employ horn loaded speakers but too often suffer from severe colorations especially in regards to reproducing natural sounding voices. Often referred to as horn honk.

I'm really interested in the new Ascend Acoustic Sierra towers. Those look amazing.

Klipsch are very polarizing speakers because of exactly what you mentioned. I've never owned them, but I have always enjoyed the demos I've heard with movies. I'm a Magnepan fan, myself. Fell in love the first time I ever heard them and can't ever see myself being without them again. Not as polarizing as Klipsch, but you'll have lots of Maggie lovers just as you'll have those who don't care for them. That's what makes HT such a great hobby, though...everyone can find what suits their own taste.

Edited by ajzepp

Klipsch are very polarizing speakers because of exactly what you mentioned. I've never owned them, but I have always enjoyed the demos I've heard with movies. I'm a Magnepan fan, myself. Fell in love the first time I ever heard them and can't ever see myself being without them again. Not as polarizing as Klipsch, but you'll have lots of Maggie lovers just as you'll have those who don't care for them. That's what makes HT such a great hobby, though...everyone can find what suits their own taste.

Polarizing is a good term especially in terms of the lower end klipsch models. Lots of midbass presence, forward midrange and A LOT of sparkle on the top end. Too much in fact for myself. I can see why many people would like them especially for home theater. I just prefer a more balanced speaker.

I've got a question...which game is better for somebody that'd play it for the first time?

I haven't played any of the previous versions of MW or Battlefield...but I really like what I see with the Battlefield commercials and reviews and it'd look fun to casually play.