[OT] Christmas Gift Purchased

This Christmas I bought my son the LeapFrog, Explorer "Talking Globe."

You touch the corded stylus to the globe and it gives you all kinds of info... From Time, Capitals, Quizes, National Anthems, Distances, etc...

I find it pretty amazing.

My question is: Does anybody know how the thing works?

I am looking for a techincal explanation on how the computer aspect of it works.

Techies out there... Please enlighten me into the mechanical make-up of this little marvel.

:devil:

My guess it is magnetic field of some sort. You don't have to touch the globe sometime... Just get near it...????

I was testing the globe one night...:devil: and noticed that if you put your finger near the stylus... Sometime it would say "Arabian Sea." ;);)

Was it trying to tell me something... :devil:

Still kind of fascinating... Since you can touch any two points and find the exact distance.

I think I am gonna have more fun with this than my kid. Of course it will lead to some "unhealthy" father-son competition in multi-player mode... ;);)

;)

I always wanted to know how the nintendo gun worked.  You know, the one you tried to shoot the ducks with right before the dog would laugh at you.  How did the thing know where on the TV you shot?

174587[/snapback]

funny thing is, nothing shot out of the gun at all... The gun actually acted as a "receiver". Your TV is what was shooting things out... electrons... When you pulled the trigger,

the NES would could tell if the gun had been hit by an electron beam shooting out of your TV... (the duck, for example). If it did, the duck died...

more info is here: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jul99...97371.Eg.r.html

I always wanted to know how the nintendo gun worked.  You know, the one you tried to shoot the ducks with right before the dog would laugh at you.  How did the thing know where on the TV you shot?

174587[/snapback]

Now thats magic. I still have an original Nintendo game. Be damned if I can figure it out.

My guess it is magnetic field of some sort.  You don't have to touch the globe sometime... Just get near it...????

I was testing the globe one night...:devil:  and noticed that if you put your finger near the stylus... Sometime it would say "Arabian Sea." ;)  ;)

Was it trying to tell me something... :devil:

Still kind of fascinating... Since you can touch any two points and find the exact distance.

I think I am gonna have more fun with this than my kid.  Of course it will lead to some "unhealthy" father-son competition in multi-player mode... ;)  ;)

;)

174717[/snapback]

I guess magnetic field is possible, but I would doubt it. Originally, I was thinking resistive touch, until you mentioned putting your finger near the stylus. What does the stylus look like?

Now thats magic. I still have an original Nintendo game. Be damned if I can figure it out.

174745[/snapback]

Best I can figure, the gun was basically taking a "picture" of what you were shooting at, and the code was looking for specific color combinations to determine if you hit or missed. If you play Duck Hunt, for example, and shoot the black areas on the bottom of the screen, it always killed the duck. (not that I condone cheating like that...). :devil:

CW