Matthews Signs

I don't know much about this guy.  Anyone have any input or comments?

12565[/snapback]

A good frined of mine is a Bears fan, so I got to see a bit of him when he played with the Bears, and hear some hardcore Bear fan perspectives. Before he was the starter, they loved him. In clean up time, and in emergency time (all he would play in Buffalo theoretically), he looked pretty good. He has decent mobility, but not great, makes good decisions, but lacks arm strngth. There were times I saw him play with the Bears, trying to dig out of a big hole, he would underthrow receivers downfield.

All in all, this is a solid signing, considering the options. Likely, he won't play, and if he does, he is capable of manning the ship, short term. He is not a potential long term starter, IMO. Just supposing the Bills were 5-4, and Losman is ready to play again. I would start Losman over him. Matthews is not a big play guy, but a steady guy. Not unlike a skinnier Alex Van Pelt....

-buftex

He is not a potential long term starter, IMO. Just supposing the Bills were 5-4, and Losman is ready to play again. I would start Losman over him. Matthews is not a big play guy, but a steady guy. Not unlike a skinnier Alex Van Pelt....

-buftex

12576[/snapback]

Whoa, what I meant to say was, if the Bills were 5-4, and BLESOE WAS SOMEHOW INJURED, Losman would be a better rest of the season option than Matthews.

-Sorry- Buftex

He is not a potential long term starter, IMO. Just supposing the Bills were 5-4, and Losman is ready to play again. I would start Losman over him. Matthews is not a big play guy, but a steady guy. Not unlike a skinnier Alex Van Pelt....

-buftex

12576[/snapback]

Whoa, what I meant to say was, if the Bills were 5-4, and BLESOE WAS SOMEHOW INJURED, Losman would be a better rest of the season option than Matthews.

-Sorry- Buftex

12579[/snapback]

Figured that's what you meant...

Good post - I agree with you. Drew is very durable, and chances are Matthews will never take a snap. If Drew is someday taken out, and he will be, it will more than likely be based on his play. Although I must admit, this O-line has me worried. If they can't do a better job in pass protection, we could be billsfanone.

He has decent mobility, but not great, makes good decisions, but lacks arm strngth.  There were times I saw him play with the Bears, trying to dig out of a big hole, he would underthrow receivers downfield.

12576[/snapback]

Yep, a great caretaker who doesn't make too many stupid mistakes.

If only he had Drew's arm...

Congrats to stuckincincy, he called this move a long time ago. :unsure:

Saw him play under Spurrier in D.C. He really never got the job done as a starter. He also took some vicious hits. He's one of those guys where his typical stat line is something like:

14 of 31, 159 yds 1 td 2 int's 3 sacks.

How's that for getting specific?!?

Saw him play under Spurrier in D.C.  He really never got the job done as a starter.  He also took some vicious hits.  He's one of those guys where his typical stat line is something like:

14 of 31, 159 yds  1 td 2 int's  3 sacks.

12746[/snapback]

Specific, perhaps. But wrong. :unsure: I was shocked to see that a journeyman QB like Shane Matthews actually has more career TD passes than interceptions. Usually they don't. In D.C. as you say...

In 2002 he reunited with Spurrier in Washington and started seven games, completing 52.3 percent of his passes with 11 TDs and 6 interceptions, but he was released at the end of the year and signed as a free agent with Cincinnati last season where he didn't take a snap behind Jon Kitna.

He's a solid stopgap. That is all. But all we need right now.

Saw him play under Spurrier in D.C.  He really never got the job done as a starter.  He also took some vicious hits.  He's one of those guys where his typical stat line is something like:

14 of 31, 159 yds  1 td 2 int's  3 sacks.

12746[/snapback]

It's hard to condemn anyone for playing in Spurrier's joke of an offense. Spurrier never understood the concept of pass blocking in the NFL (kind of like Gilbride).

The Bills have shown a more controlled passing game in the preseason, which should suit Matthews skills. He could surprise some with his arm strength every now and then, kind of like Reich used to.

He should be a better #2 than Brown.