Scott Chandler

opfball91

Jesus, will you guys ever stop complaining about these CAN games. It is what it is. We don't need threads every 5 minutes to point it out. We ALL think it sucks.

And Chandler was stupid for jumping into a VIP section which only a man and his young son were sitting anyway (if I recall correctly).

Merriman(type players) will always be a good risk to take given the chance he will recover from this injury, and he's only 27. An idiot would have passed on him, and given the immediate credibility he brought to the defense by just being on the roster simply can't be measured, but going back to the OP's point, it's great that Chandler has worked out this way, but by no means is that kind of signing a guarantee. Just because the team got him on the cheap doesn't mean you never take a swing at a more expensive option.

Without him, we don't get Nick Barnett *probably* and so I'd take a definite Barnett and Merriman over no Merriman and probably no Barnett.

Don't fool yourself. The bottom line is, the contract that was offered to Barnett by the Bills was probably the best offer he received. If some other team had a better offer, Barnett would not be a Bill no matter what Merriman said to him.

You mean like Merriman? ;)

Totally different.

The Merriman deal was a low risk move for a potential double digit sack pass rush guy, who besides QB is probably the hardest position/role to fill on a team. Merriman in his prime when healthy was single handedly dominating games. Tight ends who can catch 50-60 balls a year are much less rare so you're not getting the best value out of your investment.

Chandler-15 rec, 133 yards, 6 TD 1.1 million

Miller- 11 rec, 99 yards, 0 TD, 6.8 million

Boss- 8 rec, 160 yards, 1 TD, 4 million

Now does everyone understand how foolish shelling out big bucks for mid-tier FAs is?

Do you understand that it has more to do about he situation they are in and the situation Chandler is in? If Miller or Boss was here this year, you don't think its possible they would have even better numbers than Chandler given they have a lot more talent and as a high priced FA would likely be included more into the game plan?

Not knocking Chandler, but its pretty silly to point at two guys who are proven and very talented in crappy situations and say that its stupid to sign them. Look at Dallas Clark...guy is a game changer with Manning...without Manning he is barely being used in comparison. Situation highly dictates production for players like TE's as they both depend on the QB and the scheme to be able to produce in an offense.

That being said, I like Chandler and hope he keeps it up. I would like to see more consistency out of him though as he was a ghost in as many games as he was effective.

Do you understand that it has more to do about he situation they are in and the situation Chandler is in? If Miller or Boss was here this year, you don't think its possible they would have even better numbers than Chandler given they have a lot more talent and as a high priced FA would likely be included more into the game plan?

Perhaps not, as said player would also likely be included more into the game plan of the opposing team.

Without him, we don't get Nick Barnett *probably* and so I'd take a definite Barnett and Merriman over no Merriman and probably no Barnett.

And Kirk Morrison, even though he hasn't been a huge impact, he provides us high quality depth, imo.