Jerry Sullivans Article Garbage

Booger

in the ever-changing English language, there has been movement on accepting "their" to refer to a singular person, as it encompasses both "his" and "her."

either are now considered valid in many circles. :nana:

good chat, nonetheless.

jw

The AP Stylebook should be your Bible! :worthy:

Just kidding. I enjoyed the banter as well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am admittedly late to the dance here, but to call the article garbage is as unfair as, well the article in some respects. No one will doubt that Sullivan writes with an eye on selling papers, but there is always a modicum of truth in what he writes. Do I think Lights Out was a difference maker on the field meriting the money paid - not even close. That said, in subtle ways, he had some values. As to Nix's draft and free agent record - at this time, i am leaning towards Sullivan's notions - we simply have a few too many failures for a team of our ilk - we have high draft choices who continually underperform - pleasant surprises of today were not Nix's doing...

no, photographers generally write the cutlines. they're moved with each photo. could be that the website editor made the mistake, but how does that make this my mistake. i didn't write the cutline. i don't manage the web page. my byline's on the page, but i have no control with what happens with my stories once they move on the wire. some are chopped. some are edited. some move as is, be it on the web or in newspapers.

i don't see what the big deal is. i'm merely wondering how Bills fans can't spell the name of a star player, while criticizing someone having a point of view.

it's an opinion. it's open to being debated. but to call it "garbage" or being "mailed in," well i beg to differ. that's up for debate, too. me choosing to provide my point of view isn't unreasonable either. and that i chose to do it in this method is fair, i think.

what's the big deal.

jw

I do not dislike Jerry Sullivan (I have never met him) and I have no problem with him offering his opinion, point of view, perspective, etc., regarding the Bills. However, what I do not like (and this is just my perception) is the condescending tone with which he delivers his opinions in far too many of his articles.

Merriman's attitude and help in pulling players here, and changing the culture of our team psyche is worth it alone, imo. He showed flashes during the pre-season and even had a couple plays during the regular season.

Now is that worth it? Who knows. I have no idea if a couple FAs would still be on the team if not for his involvement, and I have no clue if our defense would be as chippy either. (Not that they are great, but at the least they have attitude)

Merriman "recruited" Barnett, according to the Bills "Bagdhad Bob",Chris Brown. What were Barnett's options?

Merriman "recruited" Barnett, according to the Bills "Bagdhad Bob",Chris Brown. What were Barnett's options?

You would have to ask Barnett. It's an easy thing to say when you can't prove it one way or another. Just saying it was into camp already so he had no other options is just not true. With next to no offseason, there were plenty of guys who took a little time to sign. I hope you aren't trying to sell 31 other teams in the NFL wanted no part of Nick Barnett and he had to settle for Buffalo.

no, photographers generally write the cutlines. they're moved with each photo. could be that the website editor made the mistake, but how does that make this my mistake. i didn't write the cutline. i don't manage the web page. my byline's on the page, but i have no control with what happens with my stories once they move on the wire. some are chopped. some are edited. some move as is, be it on the web or in newspapers.

i don't see what the big deal is. i'm merely wondering how Bills fans can't spell the name of a star player, while criticizing someone having a point of view.

it's an opinion. it's open to being debated. but to call it "garbage" or being "mailed in," well i beg to differ. that's up for debate, too. me choosing to provide my point of view isn't unreasonable either. and that i chose to do it in this method is fair, i think.

what's the big deal.

jw

your opinion on all of this was a spelling correction.... interesting take

You would have to ask Barnett. It's an easy thing to say when you can't prove it one way or another. Just saying it was into camp already so he had no other options is just not true. With next to no offseason, there were plenty of guys who took a little time to sign. I hope you aren't trying to sell 31 other teams in the NFL wanted no part of Nick Barnett and he had to settle for Buffalo.

I asked a simple question. I didn't claim that every other team wanted no part of him, so you can keep your hope alive on that one.

My understanding is that his other stop would have been Detroit but they signed Tulloch before Barnett finished his visit with Buffalo.

I asked a simple question. I didn't claim that every other team wanted no part of him, so you can keep your hope alive on that one.

My understanding is that his other stop would have been Detroit but they signed Tulloch before Barnett finished his visit with Buffalo.

Quick search and it looks like cleveland, buffalo, detroit, tampa bay, chargers?(i think it was mostly sports writer speculation), and the eagles all had interest in him

oh, so i see you're done attempting to humor all with your twitter takes to turn your attention to here.

please, enlighten us further. i find it so illuminating.

jw

Here you go. This will enlighten you John!

Fine, sign him as a scout or a recruiter, as a player he isn't worth the time or money. Normally players make a roster because of their playing ability not recruiting ability.

You always bring so much to the debate. Keep going, i haven't accurately determined your level of stupid yet.

What's amazing is that the people on this board are so concerned with this older veteran fizzling out, but many of the posters in this thread were proponents of other aged veteran who fizzled out and not so interested in discussing them. What happened to the dire need for the Bills to have veteran leadership?