Get the Feeling Bills and Sabres will not make playoffs

box0life

Hate to say it, but I think both the Bills and Sabres may not make the playoffs. After good starts both teams appear to be reeling.

Sabres: Any team that loses back to back games to Tampa Bay does not warrant a playoff appearance. That is absolutely unacceptable. Couple that with the pathetic performance against Carolina at home and I see no playoffs. This team has not scored more than 4 goals in a game since game two. They have yet to win at home. They look way over rated. All that money given away and I see a team that has not improved from last year.

Bills: With Merriman gone, Williams perhaps done for the year and Bell struggling with a shoulder problem coupled with a defense that can't sack the quarterback, stop the run or stop the pass how does this team make the playoffs? I for one do not give Fitzpatrick a new contract yet. Let him play out the season. I am still not convinced he can lead this team to the playoffs let alone a super bowl. His interceptions have led to two losses already. The last time we gave somebody a new contract mid season after a good start (Jauron) was an epic failure the rest of the year and beyond. Great job signing Merriman to a two year contract. What a waste. We will pay him nearly 10 million dollars for one sack and nine tackles. That's nearly as bad as Maybin.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm wrong and just sour and pissed off about Buffalo sports performing pathetically the last two weeks. But things don't look good. If the Bills lose this week, they are done and will not make the playoffs.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it, but I think both the Bills and Sabres may not make the playoffs. After good starts both teams appear to be reeling.

Sabres: Any team that loses back to back games to Tampa Bay does not warrant a playoff appearance. That is absolutely unacceptable. Couple that with the pathetic performance against Carolina at home and I see no playoffs. This team has not scored more than 4 goals in a game since game two. They have yet to win at home. They look way over rated. All that money given away and I see a team that has not improved from last year.

Bills: With Merriman gone, Williams perhaps done for the year and Bell struggling with a shoulder problem coupled with a defense that can't sack the quarterback, stop the run or stop the pass how does this team make the playoffs? I for one do not give Fitzpatrick a new contract yet. Let him play out the season. I am still not convinced he can lead this team to the playoffs let alone a super bowl. His interceptions have led to two losses already. The last time we gave somebody a new contract mid season after a good start (Jauron) was an epic failure the rest of the year and beyond. Great job signing Merriman to a two year contract. What a waste. We will pay him nearly 10 million dollars for one sack and nine tackles. That's nearly as bad as Maybin.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm wrong and just sour and pissed off about Buffalo sports performing pathetically the last two weeks. But things don't look good. If the Bills lose this week, they are done and will not make the playoffs.

Tampa Bay is a very good hockey team, I think they will make a deep run in the playoffs. It is way to early to say the Sabres will not make the playoffs they are 5-3 for Christ's sake. It would not surprise me if the Bills miss the playoffs, but at least they are 4-2 and competing for a playoff spot so far, last year they were 0-6 at this time.We all wish the Bills would go 16-0 and the Sabres 82-0 but thats not gonna happen this year!

Please tell me where I'm wrong? Am I being unreasonable to assume this after 10 years of absolute futility?

The (bold) is where you are wrong. If you are assuming this based on "10 years of absolute futility," than you are not being rational.

As for reason, Tampa Bay always had a good offense, and they now have a defensive minded coach, and are a very good team. I will wager you any amount of money (ok, within reason)that the Sabres will make the playoffs.

As for the Bills, my two "IF" scenarios for a 10-6 season are gone--my projection was based on a healthy Merriman and Bell. However, all is not lost. Both Bell and Hairston will return, so I'm not too worried there. On D, it's very likely that my man Moats plays better than the gimpy Merriman. In addition, as Gaughan wrote about last week, the Offenses of the teams that the Bills play over the next 7-8 games rank 16 or worse (if I remember correctly). The road to the playoffs is tougher for the Bills, but certainly doable.

Now go beat your dog.

No one who ever says they "hate to say" something ever means it. Ever.

Saying the Bills are not going to make the playoffs is not that hard of a prediction to make based on their schedule and weak defense.

But to say the Sabres aren't going to make the playoffs after 8 games, which they've played well in all but the two Tampa games, is insanity. What could possibly lead you to believe that there are at least 9 teams better than the Sabres in the eastern conference right now?

Is it their shutdown D that is significantly better than last year's? Is it the offense that is off to a hot start under Vanek, Pommer and Adam? or is it Miller who is the reason this team has been a playoff team since 2006?

This is what happens when you evaluate a hockey team that has completed a whopping 9% of their schedule so far.

Edited by bills1960

How about if eithier team makes the playoffs you stop posting on all bills and Sabres websites?

Deal?