Occupy Ralph Wilson???

http://tonawanda-news.com/opinion/x1415458100/CONFER-Occupy-Ralph-Wilson-Stadium

So I've been hearing all the negativity lately (mostly on WBEN) about the state giving the Bills $100 million for stadium upgrades. It's the usual "the state is broke", "gov't shouldn't support private business", ect, ect. It's pretty crazy to think about it but when a player in Buffalo gets a say $10million signing bonus, 44% of that goes to income tax, 20% of that 44% being NYS income tax. I'm no math genius but thats aprox $2Million going straight to NYS. On just income tax alone it doesn't take a genius to realize that the state will take in well over $100Million over the 10 year lease on income tax alone. Then add Sales tax for tix and bills merchandise, Bed tax from hotel rooms of travelers coming to games, Bar and restaraunt business on game days , the list goes on and on. Sorry this is so long but this has really been bugging me. These people need to see that although they may not care whether the Bills leave or not, the economic impact of having the team here is incredible and would be sorely missed if the team ever left. WRITE THIS GUY AN EMAIL AND LET HIM KNOW THAT HE IS WRONG!! Go Bills!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tonawanda-news.com/opinion/x1415458100/CONFER-Occupy-Ralph-Wilson-Stadium

So I've been hearing all the negativity lately (mostly on WBEN) about the state giving the Bills $100 million for stadium upgrades. It's the usual "the state is broke", "gov't shouldn't support private business", ect, ect. It's pretty crazy to think about it but when a player in Buffalo gets a say $10million signing bonus, 44% of that goes to income tax, 20% of that 44% being NYS income tax. I'm no math genius but thats aprox $2Million going straight to NYS. On just income tax alone it doesn't take a genius to realize that the state will take in well over $100Million over the 10 year lease on income tax alone. Then add Sales tax for tix and bills merchandise, Bed tax from hotel rooms of travelers coming to games, Bar and restaraunt business on game days , the list goes on and on. Sorry this is so long but this has really been bugging me. These people need to see that although they may not care whether the Bills leave or not, the economic impact of having the team here is incredible and would be sorely missed if the team ever left. WRITE THIS GUY AN EMAIL AND LET HIM KNOW THAT HE IS WRONG!! Go Bills!!

Practically speaking, half the earnings are taxable in NYS. Believe it or not, players must file state income taxes for each state in which they play throughout the course of the season.

It isn't just the income tax on the players. It is the full slate of economic activity generated by the Bills that makes the $100 million more than worth it for the state. Sales taxes, gas taxes, alcohol taxes etc all produce revenue for the state. Most of the folks talking on the radio just repeat tired old talking points which are often devoid of hard facts. Don't listen to them any more as I get too frustrated when there is a lack of facts in the discussion.

Practically speaking, half the earnings are taxable in NYS. Believe it or not, players must file state income taxes for each state in which they play throughout the course of the season.

I'd never thought about the income taxes part of it. Do the Jersey teams pay NY taxes or NJ? The Skins pay DC taxes or MD?

I'd never thought about the income taxes part of it. Do the Jersey teams pay NY taxes or NJ? The Skins pay DC taxes or MD?

as the earlier poster said, you pay tax in the state that the game is played in. im not entirely sure about toronto and london games with this, but for instance, the bills players will be taxed on their game check against cincinatti in ohio.

as the earlier poster said, you pay tax in the state that the game is played in. im not entirely sure about toronto and london games with this, but for instance, the bills players will be taxed on their game check against cincinatti in ohio.

Weird. So that's what he meant by "HALF the earnings are taxable in NYS"? That seems fishy to me. If I (mere working man) work in PA and am sent to a site visit in OH for a week, I don't pay OH taxes...

I'd be curious to know what they do for the London and Toronto games.

Weird. So that's what he meant by "HALF the earnings are taxable in NYS"? That seems fishy to me. If I (mere working man) work in PA and am sent to a site visit in OH for a week, I don't pay OH taxes...

half the Bills' earning are essentially taxed in NY, though NY also gets to tax the visiting team players so for all intents and purposes it's about full rate given there's two teams out there.

not sure about the Toronto part of things.

jw

"I haven’t been to a game at the Ralph in probably 10 years. But, from what I remember about the place, it’s a perfectly fine venue at which to watch a football game. " - Bob Confer

He hasn't been to the Ralph in a decade but yet he believes the stadium doesn't need upgrades. What a tard. But hey, he's gonna get a lot of traffic because of his purported stance on the issue.

Edited by It's in My Blood

I think it's roughly considered 16 individual entertainment event contracts, not a full year salary.

not that im doubting you, but I am haha..do you have links for this information about paying income tax in each state they play games in???

I'm on my phone currently - can I just reference the post by the professional nfl reporter in this thread?

Players don't collect salary all year - they get 16 game checks. If that helps explain the ideas behind my statement that it's 16 individual events they are paid for... Entertainment law isn't the same as our workplace standards and structures.

I'm on my phone currently - can I just reference the post by the professional nfl reporter in this thread?

Players don't collect salary all year - they get 16 game checks. If that helps explain the ideas behind my statement that it's 16 individual events they are paid for... Entertainment law isn't the same as our workplace standards and structures.

But as wawrow said there are technically 16 games worth as there are two teams playing in every game in Ralph Wilson Stadium. I recall this being important in some way in regard to workers comp insurance during the CBA negotiations.

But as wawrow said there are technically 16 games worth as there are two teams playing in every game in Ralph Wilson Stadium. I recall this being important in some way in regard to workers comp insurance during the CBA negotiations.

For sure - NYS isn't missing our on money. Just an interesting quirk in the calculations,